1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wireless Key Lock/Unlock Intermittent

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by deleyd, Apr 12, 2023.

1. deleyd

deleyd New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    My key fob which remorely unlocks/locks the doors worked intermittently.

I purchased a new replacement key fob and had the car programmed to accept it. Still worked intermittantly.

So i ruled out the key. Must be the car.

I replaced the "Receiver Assy, Door Control & TPMS." Now the tire pressure alert light stays on, and the key doesn't work.

I'm guessing there's some programming needs to be done to match up the replacement receiver with the car. My mechanic said he couldn't do it, I'd have to go to a Toyota dealer to have it done.

I'm worried Toyota dealer will charge many hundreds of dollars, more than is worth the trouble.

Is there a way I can program it myself?

Or, maybe I should put the original receiver back and see if i can fix it. I'd need a schematic of the device, or at least some information about the 12 pin plug. Seems like a lot of pins when I only have 4 tires and one key.

Is there some electrical information available? (I'm an engineer familiar with electronics. It's just really hard to fix an intermittent problem without a schematic.)

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You can rent techstream software which could be of use in programming the new module. Certain key and security related operations are restricted to a special version of the software, and that version is very expensive- only worth it for shops that have volume. I'm not sure whether this particular module is going to be considered part of that security system or not. They're full of surprises.

The same rental that gives you techstream also gives you access to the full wiring diagrams. I don't think I've seen them publish schematics for the packaged electronic modules, but you'd be able to work out a lot just knowing the pinouts.

Software, technical manual & wiring diagram rental at techinfo.toyota.com

The Prius c has a reputation for lousy actuators in the door locks. I haven't experienced this myself, so I don't have a complete grasp of the failure mode. You might have a problem with those instead of the driver electronics. I've heard that the knockoff version actuators sold on eBay are much cheaper and are at least no worse than the Toyota OEM part.

Good luck!