1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wireless Router -- need a new one -- help, Please, Pretty Please...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Nov 13, 2016.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Under my Windows 10 computer sits a wireless router that I bought back in horse and buggy days.

It is a D‑Link Wireless G Router WBR‑1310. I have been having internet connectivity problems and my provider is insisting that they "see me" (EKK :eek:, I need to stop computing a la natural) and the problem is not on their end. I may have my terminology wrong, my field is biology, not information technology....

Anyway, the DSL line went into the ISP supplied modem and then a cable went from there to the D-Link router and then into the computer.

The ISP suggested disconnecting the line from the modem to the D-Link router and running the cable from the modem directly into my computer.

Fine. Everything seems to work now.

But....now I have no WiFi. My laptop still sees the D-Link (D-Link is still connected to everything except for the cable I pulled).

I can live without WiFi. But, being the antisocial person I am, we have people visit all the time and who freeload...opps...I mean visit for a few days at a time. Now, they have no WiFi connection.

Still not too excited about buying a new router for them, but hey....

Anyway, my D-Link is a G router. I have done my research, and as far as I can tell, I can buy an N router, or any other "sort" with no issue. Just affects speed, right?

And, if anyone has any suggestion for a brand/model to purchase that is not too expensive, that would also be helpful.

Staples has this one -- and I have a coupon code that would save a few extra cents, would it work?

NETGEAR AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (R6400) | Staples®

Kris

#1 cyberpriusII, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes you can buy any router but if it's not for you I wonder if it's worth it. N is getting long in the tooth these days but should be fine without spending too much cash. Your guests should be grateful for what you offered free without complaining about download speeds imho.
    There are faster ones with dual channel function, but really - don't waste time with these unless you need them for yourself.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Research wifi range too. We've got a main router about 5 years old now, and of course I've placed it way off at one end wall of the house. Not that bad, but reception can start to falter at the other extreme of the house. Our moved-back-home son has a router upstairs that seems to have stronger wifi output, my phone always jumps to that one, hee hee.

We're a mix of hard-wired cables and wifi usage, our Apple TV for example I've hardwired, better for Netflix. But it seems like more and more devices need wifi, I use it for getting movies to the tv (via apple tv) with Air Video on my iPhone, for example.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You could always get a wifi extender and keep the router where you want it;).

We picked up a net gear one on Amazon that works well. The router stays in the wife's office and we plugged the extender into an outlet upstairs. Pretty slick and cuts down on data usage:).

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bwilson4web and bobzchemist like this.
  6. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I went with a WiFi access point on my ethernet network. Access points are typically cheaper than routers and can be placed more centrally in the coverage area as long as a network jack is available.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Let me suggest doing a Google search for "cable modem <city>" and giving them a call next week. Ask them their monthly rate for just internet service and 'can provide your own cable modem.' Let them know what you currently have.

There has been a sea change in network access to the home ... not universal ... but pretty wide spread. If 30 megabits per second or higher, you can also replace cable TV. Then there is the ultimate.

Contact T-mobile and ask if they have high-speed, digital available in your area. The reason is a T-mobil hotspot can provide very nice Internet access for less than carrier DSL.

You have options and a few phone calls can figure it out. If still confuse, contact me via 'conversation' with your home address and I'll take a peek.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  9. garglo

garglo Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am pleased with this one
    Netis WF2780

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    comcast told me i needed a new router to take advantage of all the improvements they had made. so i upgraded to their specs. nothing changed.
    then they sent a letter saying they had made more improvements and i needed to shut everything down, unplug and reboot. so i did. nothing changed.
    then a service gal was here for something, and i asked her why the speed wasn't improving. she asked what i was doing, downloading movies? gaming? i said no, just 'priuschat'. she wait, 'that's your problem'.:cool:

Raytheeagle, RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What Bob said.
    These days your internet provider should also provide a working wireless access point.
    If you're off contract and you have more than one provider then you can tell them that you want to start seeing other people, and they'll usually toss you one of the premium router/modem combos for "free" that they charge customers for.

If you have to buy a router, and speed and range are not critical issues then any router will do.
    If you regularly have guests that have Publisher Clearinghouse Sweepstakes mail-outs rattling around in their car then you may want to do some research about router security.
    The Most Important Security Settings to Change on Your Router
    How to secure your router and home network | PCWorld

The router is the front door to all of the internet devices in your home, and most of us have paper-thin interior doors that are unlocked.
    If you and hubby just do light browsing and none of you visit some of the seedier neighborhoods in the interwebs, then you're still vulnerable (everybody is) but you're lost in the herd, and statistics are your friend.

Remember also that range works both ways.
    You want to know how many wireless routers are really secure?
    Right.
    NONE OF THEM.
    20 Popular Wireless Hacking Tools [updated for 2016]
    Top Wi-Fi routers easy to hack, says study - CNET

When I lived in the country this wasn't an issue obviously, since anybody wishing to do a little dumpster-diving on my internet connection was within rifle range.... :) but in the big city??? ...... :( My options are more limited.
    Still....I use cheap routers and lock them down as best I can, but I'm a "leave the front door unlocked" kinda guy.
    You can get one for 35 bucks at WalMart or use an old computer as mentioned above.
    If you're a kill-a-watter just remember that the old computer will use much more electricity when it's running than a single purpose router.

Good Luck!

#11 ETC(SS), Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  12. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for your replies!

I read through twice and need another time or two before I can react to any of this.

As an aside, I live in a very rural area. Way up in the Coast Range of the Oregon mountains. Between Eugene, OR and Waldport. My options as to ISP are basically none.

No cable. I do not subscribe to any of the satellite networks, nor do I plan to take them up. Our local, very tiny telco put in DSL about nine years ago. I talked with the guys as they were digging the ditch down the middle of our single-track dirt road for the DSL connection. The plus is that they put more gravel on the road and graded it very nicely when they were done.

So, unless I go to satellite, I am stuck with my slow-poke DSL, which is not even fast enough for any of the NetFlix or other streaming services.

But, what we have works well enough for e-mail, PriusChat and the occasional short YouTube Toyota repair video.

Anyway, need to think about things a bit. Thanks again!

RCO likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    T-mobile area?

Bob Wilson

14. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GOSH, I keep wanting to call you Bill!! You sure you are not related to Bill Wilson, who worked as a sheriff's deputy in Mexican Hat, Utah? LOL!!!

No, T-Mobile is not much of a player in this area. You get near Portland, and of course into their native land of Washington State and there is a lot of T-Mobile, but not here.

My cell (which is a dumb phone, BTW), is Verizon and that is pretty spotty. My brother-in-law, who has Metro (basically T-Mobile) never can get a signal at our place.

Again, I am in the middle of the great furry woods. Plenty of deer, bear, a few cougars and elk and a LOT of morel mushrooms, but not much in the way of cell service, cable service, etc.

Hey, we only got garbage service a few years ago and they are thinking about stopping that.

As an aside, we trained our black lab to find truffles. She was an amazing dog at chasing scent anyway (deer, bear, etc.) and the new truffle bit is fantastic!

#14 cyberpriusII, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  15. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV