1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wireless switch

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by John Gutheil, Oct 22, 2020.

1. John Gutheil

John Gutheil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've had my Prius Prime for over a year now. The plug for my charger is located in a tough place to reach so I would like to install a wireless switch inline to turn my charger on and off with. Any advice on what to purchase when it comes to amp rating or watts? Thanks in advance.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you talking about the 120v wall receptacle that OEM L1 EVSE (also called charge cord) plugs in? If so, I just leave mine plugged in all the time. There is a very small amount of draw by the control box of the EVSE, ~0.01kwh/day, you will be wasting, but other than that I can't think of a good reason to plug and unplug EVSE from the wall at each use unless you need to take the EVSE (charge cord) with you. The only time it may be a good idea to unplug is when there is a lightning thunderstorm near to protect the EVSE equipment. But to be honest, I have never bothered to go around my house to unplug every electric appliances from the wall due to imminent thunderstorm.

#2 Salamander_King, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    MTN likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Is the circuit breaker for that outlet easy to get to ?
    If so, that might be a good alternative for him.

Or not, if other things are on the same circuit.

Trying to install a "wireless" switch likely is WAY overkill.

4. John Gutheil

John Gutheil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks guys. My air compressor is on the same circuit so a good thought but I'm not able to do that. I'll just leave it plugged in and not worry about it. Thanks again...

Salamander_King likes this.