1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wires connection of back-up camera to MFD !!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cozmisu, Oct 20, 2012.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmmmm...picture looks like the car is not in ready so you can't possibly be in reverse. Looks like your in acc and your battery is really bad.

derBara likes this.
  2. priusro

priusro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're referring to the reverse relay that sends 12V to the rev lights, then all cars have it.
    Given that his Prius is camera ready, having all the wiring in place, I would suspect a problem with how he connected the wires.
    If the camera is not OEM, the ones from ebay are designed to work with a 12V supply, while the OEM gets fed 6V from the MFD.
    Word of advice for the "waterproof" ebay cameras: do some additional sealing on the back of the camera before installation.

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently connected a Sony CCD + wireless kit from ebay.
    On non-Navigation 2006- Prius the reverse signal needs to be fed from the connectors left of the foot rest to the rear connector. Only then it will show reverse in the diagnostics display. I hooked up the receiver to the MFD camera supply. The receiver is spect with 9-12V, but the 6V of the MFD work fine.
    For the MFD to work with a cam, it seems a load needs to be connected to the cam supply (or a video signal needs to be present) and the reverse signal needs to be present. If you have just reverse and a load, it will show a black screen, no load and video and nothing happens.
    On navigation models, the rev signal is already present, it just needs a camera to be connected.
    Marko

R-P likes this.
  4. priusro

priusro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On European models with navi the rev signal is not present. I had to route it from the junction box just below the MFD.

R-P likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Not sure what you mean?

"Reverse signal needs to be fed from the connectors from foot rest to rear connector"

What signal please? Do you mean the reverse dc? Only thing the camera needs back there is dc power in reverse.
    Also you went from the footwell and jumped on existing cable in the dash that's already back there?

Also so the mfd detects 75 ohm video? Interesting.

For other folks I imagine it would be hard to install a camera without a handheld video generator or another source of video as a tester to inject into mfd video in. I have that stuff but someone else may not. In that case it may be helpful to grab an old composite out vcr or and a video tape or a dvd player and set it up in the car. Cut the end of a rca cable off and just temp. hook the wire from vcr/dvd yellow video out to mfd in at the existing rear connector.

Please fill out your location so we know what country you live in.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your right about the relay. The manual is not clear as on one page in electric manual they just address that relay as back up annunciation for display. And then same relay shows up as the back up light relay on another page also.
    Thanks.

7. PJ06EUE

PJ06EUE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My prius is a uk t-spirit (top spec with nav etc. it is a 2006 therefore camera was an optional extra. If reverse relay is not present is this game over? Surely not?

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No I was wrong. The relay is always there as discussed in the post right before yours.

But its a top spec car but no camera?

9. PJ06EUE

PJ06EUE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. English logic I guess. We can't even turn off the reverse beeper over here. That's my next mod. I think there will be a hard wire way but I digress. My camera comes with black and red (I presume power feed) and a composite RCA yellow cable. I have cut the end of and am presuming middle wire is video feed and outer is shield. I connected black on car to red on camera white car to black on camera and red on car to middle RCA and grey to outer RCA. No camera. No reverse signal either. ????

10. priusro

priusro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check the service menu for rev signal (see forum for instructions).
    I would say that you have less work to do and is more or less a plug and play.
    I would recommend an OEM camera since your car is prepared for that. If not, just connect the video (2 wires - video signal and shielding) and feed 12V from the reverse lights, if the camera doesn't work with the original voltage feed from the MFD.

11. PJ06EUE

PJ06EUE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My rev is off when in signal check. This does not change when engaging reverse. Should the do something?

12. PJ06EUE

PJ06EUE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like this

Attached Files:

13. priusro

priusro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is exactly my case, I had to run a 12V signal from the junction box below the MFD. There are complete instructions for this on priuschat, if you cannot find the info send me a pm and I will guide you through.

14. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    as long as the REV is not properly indicated in the MFD, a rear view cam will not work.
    You need to connect the sixth pin from left on the bottom row of the right connector (rear view) of the MFD to the rev signal.
    I used PC mainboard to CD-ROM audio connector cables with the black PC connector removed. The pins perfectly inserted and locked themselves in the connector of the MFD.

If rev is indicated upon putting the car in reverse, but nothing happens, the MFD does not detect a camera. for this it seems it needs to either see a load or a video signal. This is not fully clear to me with of the two are required. It was reported on the german priuswiki that once it detected a camera, it seems to remember it and shows a black screen in the future in REV even without a cam or load attached.
    I have connected both a cam and the supply and once REV signal was fed into the connect, it worked.
    I almost find it annoying, that the cam only works on rev. It would be nicer, if it would stay on for say 20 seconds after coming of reverse so you can continue to watch while parking. I may add this at some point with a delay switch of circuit.

if you
    google "2006 PRIUSELECTRICAL WIRING DIAGRAM"
    , you can download the prius gen 2 2006- complete wiring diagram incl. connector pin numbering.

15. PJ06EUE

PJ06EUE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Long day at it today. Got it all working as it should, well kinda. The picture quality is awful. Is this due to eBay camera or is it something I have done wrong. I actually used telephone able to extend RCA as its flat and easy to route. Wondering if its just too low a gauge.

Thanks for the help thus far.

16. priusro

priusro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congrats on getting it to work!
    I have the same problem with the quality, sometimes only black and white. I've tested the cam before install and it was working perfect, as long as it has sufficient light. Like you, had to extend it about 1 meter or so and I've used a double audio cable, now I blame the quality problems on that piece of cable, mostly not being shielded...and maybe not soldering any connections I've made.
    Now I'm waiting for a replacement camera, as the first one was not waterproof, at all. After the first car wash, water slowly went in from the back of the camera and it was literally filling the entire body.
    So, for your sake, add some sealant all around the back, including where the cable goes into the camera, just to make sure.

17. PJ06EUE

PJ06EUE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I checked my 07 Package #2 with camera and in the mfd mode mine says REV----OFF too. So disregard that on your car.

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Must be shielded audio cable. Phone won't work. It may but will be grainy and black & white.
    Sometimes in a house in a pinch you can butt splice the shield and signal together to extend it but usually not in a car and especially not in a Prius. I would solder a male rca connector on the end and then get an rca barrel to connect both males. Then tape it up so it won't come loose. Standard car audio stuff.

When in doubt see my post above about bringing a dvd out to the car. Hook the camera line out back to the dvd yellow jack of the dvd player and see how it looks. Then you will know for sure is it camera or your f'ed up line cord.

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two