1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wires connection of back-up camera to MFD !!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cozmisu, Oct 20, 2012.

1. PJ06EUE

PJ06EUE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ripped cables out and replaced with proper shielded cable and RCA ends. Still picture looks strange. Looks like the contrast is way too high or something.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Again....bring out to the car a video test source.

That will test your cable run..hook up..and camera quality.

3. PJ06EUE

PJ06EUE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah going to do that tomorrow. Just keeping those interested updated.

Phil

4. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rev signal for the MFD is active on with 12v.
    As the line state signals something I call it signal.
    Accoring to the Toyota OEM schematics the rev SIGNAL line (12V) is connected in non-JBL audio cars withe the integrated amplifier. Without it no cam picture.I have not checked the schematics for the JBL cars as mine is not.
    Marko

5. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The wiring of the external audio amplifier (JBL) and navigation cars is significantly different. Please check the schematics.
    The wirkng of the MFD of cam cars and no cam cars on non-nav 2006- cars is different, but folks report, my car incl., that the wirining pinout correspond to the "with cam" punout / wiring in the OEM schematic.
    Marko

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the factory electrical wiring diagram for a 2007. Here's how it works in USA car:

Reverse relay BK/UP LP control coil is controlled by Combo Meter C10 pin 23. Combo is commanded to go reverse
    it pulls Pin 23 low and grounds the coil turning on the relay. 12 volts to both coil and contact of reverse relay is supplied via Dome Fuse 10A.

Relay closes and sends 12 volts to pin 21 of MFD for reverse annunciation and turns on reverse camera.
    In both separate amp and integrated amp it still goes to pin 23. Only difference in separate amp scenario is it has NAV so they then tied pin 21 of mfd and pin 20 of NAV ecu together via junction J36 so both units see that relay 12 volts in reverse.

Not significantly different at all. Does not matter if JBL/Nav or regular stereo the reverse relay 12 volt's still hits pin 21 of MFD. Only difference is in NAV the NAV ecu must know its in reverse too so they sent that 12 there also.

Camera still comes out of same pins on MFD in JBL or standard stereo car pins 27-28-29-30.

PJ06EUE likes this.
  7. PJ06EUE

PJ06EUE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good research. Thanks for looking into that.

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Btw, for the sake of expediency if you dig my post just hit the blue like button bottom right of post.
    That's our thanks on this forum. Thank you.

PJ06EUE likes this.
  9. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Could you look this up in the below pic and write down the numbers of the pins (provided it is the correct pic for your MFD) ?
    M14-pin23 to a signal that supplies 12V when you put the car in reverse?
    I am pretty sure I got this pic from the 2006 document and that the M14 pin descriptions were missing (so they are very welcome if anyone has them).
    And did you mention the German Wiki? The only thing I can find on there, that you still need an external monitor.
    Guess I will make a new attempt shortly once the camera is fully in place. Even though a radio with 7" display will be added, I would still like my reverse camera to work even if I forget the detachable front of the radio :)
    [​IMG]

10. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The pic you showed indicates the pin numbers on the connector . In order to assign the pins to functions you need to go to the schematics section of the same pdf. The block diagrams show the pin number and the function.
    The german prius wiki contains several pages. You picked tve wrong one. Check 2006 Exe. It also contains the info on non nav cars. The pinout can be seen in the picture i posted before. Rev goes to m13, the right connector looking onto the back of the MFD. M14 is where the camera gets connected to.
    Marko

R-P likes this.
  11. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to check:
    Rückfahrkamera_an_MFD_ab_2006

12. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    REV connects to pin 21, the sixth from the left, bottom row looking at the back of the connector.
    [​IMG]

ITBland and R-P like this.
  13. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The names of the connectors in the picture are wrong. They are called M13 and M14. The pinout and function is correct. I checked both the schematic and my car plus my camera retrofit works.
    Marko

14. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379066842.246687.jpg
    Wireless Sony cam kit of ebay

15. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    in my european non-navigation model I need to get the REv 12V signal from the connector block on the left side on the bottom of the footwell as indicated in the priuswiki page i indicated above.
    In US models there seems to be a REV signal available on the right connector of the MFD. Unsure of this as do not haver such a car. if this is correct, you need to connect this REV signal to pin 21. No REV on pin 21 -> no camera signal as far as I know. But hell, what do I know in the infinite world of wisdom of the internet. I am just a poor bloke who read what was available on Priuschat and the forum on priusfreunde.de, studied the OEM Toyota schematics and got it to work....

iPad ? - now Free

16. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  17. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks a bunch!!!!!
    Yes you are *just*a bloke who combined some info, but I've spend several hours on this trying to combine info from several sources and you obviously got further than me :D
    So thank you very much for your extra explanation, and I will try to find some time to investigate/experiment soon.
    (Started studying again (12hr/wk per course and I am doing 5 courses...) next to being full time dad, so in theory, I won't have any spare time the next couple of months)

18. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also have a few hours spend on the topic, too. :)
    What are you studying?
    Regards
    Marko

iPad ? - now Free

19. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don't need a steering diode if your using a dpdt switch. One pole is switched B+ out of reverse relay and just B+
    B+ on the other throw. Can't back feed 12v to back up light relay if its on the other side of the throw.
    In the drawing he's tied them together and switching them both with relay diode protected. Not needed.

The other pole is video from bu cam and iPod.