1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wires through firewall - easier way?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by framistat, Jun 23, 2021.

1. framistat

framistat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Need to run a wire from the fuse box to the switch panel below/left of the steering wheel.

Took a casual look above the accelerator pedal for the wiring harness grommet through the firewall today, didn't see it, but in the process I noticed something... with the door open, looking forward, at the top of the front quarterpanel, there's a clear passage under the rain gutter all the way through to the front headlight.

[​IMG]

So I poked a stiff wire through and sure enough it emerges just forward of the hood hinge, near the fuse box. Closed the hood and pulled the other end of the wire, doesn't seem to be interference with the hinge. The area looks clean, so water doesn't seem to be getting to it. A wire would of course be compressed/rubbed a bit by the inner and outer door seals, but taping it down should mitigate that. I don't think it would cause a leak, the wire is small and the seals should form around it.

[​IMG]

So, any reason why this would be a bad routing for a wire?