1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiretaping and Torture

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 16 2006, 03:28 PM) [snapback]304238[/snapback]</div>
    But you must have read this somewhere, right? Or did you just pick it up from the aether? The wiretapping, I can probably believe, but I'd like to read some story saying it. I find the torture somewhere harder to believe, so I'd like to read the article and/or blog where you got that from.

Thanks.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 16 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]304238[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have any credible sources to corroborate your assertions that torture and legally unauthorized wire taps were used to break this plot?

By credible sources I mean mainstream media outlets, including the right of center Fox News, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Times.

3. glenhead

glenhead New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 15 2006, 05:12 PM) [snapback]303764[/snapback]</div>
    I was attempting to inject civility into this discussion, and it's unfortunate that you chose to spin it the way you did. The OP left the term vague, yes; I was pointing out that there is a vast spectrum of activities that can be called "torture", and it is my prerogative to do so. The media uses the word dysphemistically in order to attract viewers and sell publications. Most times they conveniently leave out the fact that no actual harm is done, save for a few "hurt feelings". The aggressive interrogation techniques used by the United States fall far short of the classic definition of "torture".

As for my question being a "lame trap" - again, it's unfortunate you chose to spin it that way. People speak of the deterioration of civil rights, and I can't see any that are being eroded. I was inviting a civil discussion about that deterioration, in hopes that someone would educate me on something I've apparently missed. Yes, it may take a while longer to get into the secured passenger area in an airport. Big whoopie. It's not a civil right to be able to get through quickly. Domestic wiretaps are being used as they always have been. They are used against suspected lawbreakers after vetting and approval by a judge. Call record screening has been going on since the mid-80s, and has been codified in federal law since 1994 (Google CALEA if you doubt me). All telecom carriers are required by federal law to make their records available to law enforcement personnel upon receipt of a court order. International conversations are not, and never have been, protected by same rules as domestic calls. Running the voices on international calls through a computer screening program is a "sanitary" way to scan for catchwords and catchphrases. The people involved in interpreting the results of the scans don't give a rat's fanny about what someone might say to their Iranian grandmother. If they really and truly want to waste their time listening to my conversations with our vendors in Scotland, it's fine by me - so long as they listen to the scumbags, too, and use the intelligence gathered to catch or stop them. The law enforcement community has the job of investigating violations and potential violations of the law (that's why there are laws against conspiracy). Sometimes the wrong people get investigated, true. When that happens, the person has a vast panoply of options to pursue in the courts. Until someone can point out an actual violation of civil rights, my question stands.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 16 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]304232[/snapback]</div>
    Out of context (per your usual modus operandi)--When a civil right is violated or removed the potential negative impact is why it's wrong. Just b/c a change is made and has the potential for negative impact does not make any random change wrong. But when we remove a civil right it isn't necessary to show harm before such a move is declared wrong. If we removed the right to bear arms and you hadn't been shot 6 months later does that prove that it was an OK thing to do?

Never said a word to the contrary, did I? What I'm saying is that it isn't necessary to crap on our civil rights to provide protection.

That's not any primary responsibility I've ever heard of. It is one of the responsibilities, indeed, to assist in that. But harm can be defined in many ways. And loss of civil liberties is, perhaps, the greatest harm of all.

Not sure what you're taking the "not being flexible" comment from, but I won't surrender my liberty for the facade of safety. True safety and security can only be preserved for so long as our civil liberties are preserved.

Yes, yes, yes it would be wrong b/c ultimately the lives of hundreds of millions would be negatively impacted. Our country would cease to exist in any way we would recognize it today. For goodness sakes, can't you see that what terrorism is and does, by it's very name and nature is to create fear. It rots from within. When we start crapping on the constitution and rights and beliefs and morals we have truely lost to the terrorists. That is totally what they want us to do, change our way of life due to their imposition of fear. That is completely the root of this.

I will not live in fear of terrorists and I will not allow the country I love, the constitution I believe in, or my way of life to be changed b/c of the fear and threat of terror.

That is a "fact"? It may be one of the tools used, I haven't followed this story as closely as some, but I don't recall hearing that it is what provided "the info" that allowed the bust. Regardless, that was England...IIRC, that's the country our forefathers abandoned in search of greater freedom from oppression. Could be mistaken on that point too I guess.

Complete falacy. First, it assumes your point above is 100% accurate and that there were no other legal or constitutional means of obtaining the information that led to the interuption of this plot. Next, it assumes that the other layers of security set up, primarily at the airports, would not have caught these guys. Finally, it assumes it all would have worked as planned and that none of the planes would have been able to safely land.

This is getting a bit old now. Yes, yes, yes....if my "academic approach" means the preservation of our constitutionally guaranteed rights then yes now and yes forever I am that inflexible. We are, I think, smart enough, aware enough, and creative enough to find other means to defeat our enemies without sabotaging what we stand for and who we are.

But, perhaps, I think too much of my countries leaders and law enforcement and that is not the case. If so, then we are, truely, doomed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Aug 16 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]304260[/snapback]</div>
    GWB did NOT conduct legal wire taps. He did NOT get approval by a judge. He did use an obscure power granted in the "Patriot Act" extending him very vaguely defined powers to conduct wire taps and claimed that that made them legal. His claiming it does not make it so. That is a violation of civil rights.

As far as the torture issue, I guess I don't understand what you're asking. In my mind torture is anything not rountinely considered civil/legal on US soil. I don't care if people are made to stand or kneel for long periods, I don't care if bright lights are shined in their eyes, I don't even care if vague threats of harm to them or their familes are made (so long as they're never carried out). But clearly infliction of pain and extremes of sensory deprivation and such cross a line of civility I think. Furthur, most authories say that information obtained through those means is usually unreliable and many can resist those means.

5. glenhead

glenhead New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 16 2006, 03:37 PM) [snapback]304273[/snapback]</div>
    Well, the legality of how the taps were ordered is still up in the air - it's been challenged, but no final ruling has come down. Again, calls between the U.S. and international locations have always been subjected to a different set of laws. Clinton and Carter used the same interpretations of powers granted by FISA for performing warrantless wiretaps, but were never challenged on it (never caught at it at the time?). Time will tell, I suppose.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the infliction of pain, sensory deprivation, and such like. Things that can cause actual, quantifiable damage are outside the realm of civilized behavior. I haven't heard any reliable reports that indicate that this type of activity is going on. That's why I wanted to carefully explain my definition of the line between aggressive interrogation techniques and torture - I condone the first, and condemn the second. Before anyone asks, "condone" means I may not particularly like it, but it's justifiable in my mind.

6. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 15 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]303656[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure they employed "torture" ... as in the destruction of human flesh ... rather than the things we call "torture" today like water boarding and stress-inducing prior to interrogation? I really don't consider those things on a par with the image the word "torture" gives people.

7. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 16 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]304238[/snapback]</div>
    Are you going to vote for Senator McCain for president? He said that torture does not work.

""It's killing us!" US senator John McCain – himself tortured during the Vietnam War -- wrote late last month in the US magazine Newsweek.

"Obviously, to defeat our enemies we need intelligence, but intelligence that is reliable... The abuse of prisoners harms, not helps, our war effort," argued McCain, who introduced a bill outlawing the use of torture by the US Army and the CIA, which is currently being debated in Congress.

"In my experience, abuse of prisoners often produces bad intelligence because under torture a person will say anything he thinks his captors want to hear --whether it is true or false -- if he believes it will relieve his suffering," he said."

http://news.inq7.net/breaking/index.php?in...&story_id=59251

Torture may have played a part in this episode, but remember, a broken clock is right twice a day.

8. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 17 2006, 09:54 PM) [snapback]305065[/snapback]</div>
    Burritos, you've hit the nail on the head here. I've heard senator McCain's take on this as well as other people in the same situation as he once was. When a person is tortured for information, he will tell his captors what he thinks they want to hear without regard to accuracy. In other words, say what they want to hear as long as it stops the torture.