1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiring Harness Recall (J0T) - REMEDY UPDATE - Questions Remain

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by JackTheNarrator, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently it needs to be the dealer that performed the recall. I did not trust my local dealer for the original recall so I drove 150 miles to my selling dealer. I had to do that again yesterday. Since my local dealer did not perform the original recall, they could not add the extra tape, according to Toyota Corporate.

#41 Prodigyplace, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    UltraJetRefill likes this.
  2. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just an update on our two Priuses. Both of them have abrasion marks on the passenger's side cable bundle, but I didn't see any wires through the original tape. I will probably call corporate next week and explain the situation, since my dealer said last month said they already did the fix and couldn't do any more. Maybe things have changed since them. I guess I should call the dealer first.

Prius #1 with 9000 miles:
    IMG_20190112_150316.jpg

Prius #2 with ~6000 miles.
    IMG_20190112_151617.jpg

BTW, #1 with 9000 miles is probably going back to the dealer since they seem to have missed taping the driver's side far enough to protect from the contact point on the bottom:
    Prius #1 (driver's side):
    Annotation 2019-01-12 180400.JPG

3. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The recall has been amended to inspect and tape both sides.
    I called corporate to see if my local dealer could tape the passenger side. They said I needed to go back to the dealer that did the recall Corporate called the dealer before I did. They had no problem with me bringing it back to do the passenger side.

UltraJetRefill likes this.
  4. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cool! I'll give corporate a call on Monday.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You may want to look at the attachments in the first post of this thread.
    When my service manager called me he said he had the new documentation. The date he told me match. He said there was no additional service. He subsequently checked with his master technician who did my recall. He called me back and apologized after he had been corrected. No problem after that.

6. JackTheNarrator

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prodigy posted:

The recall has been amended to inspect and tape both sides.
    I called corporate to see if my local dealer could tape the passenger side. They said I needed to go back to the dealer that did the recall Corporate called the dealer before I did. They had no problem with me bringing it back to do the passenger side.

Question:

What about those owners that had the original remedy done (tape only one side) and do not call corporate? Is Toyota re-notifying/mailing to them explaining that the original remedy they had done is not adequate?

Question 2:

The wires inside the tubes control certain vehicle systems. What happens to those systems when the wire pertaining to it is damaged?

7. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Funny, but I called the 'Contact Us' phone number on the Toyota Owners web page a few weeks ago, and they were not very helpful. They checked the VIN and said the recall fix had been completed. I said that the left side was taped but the right sight wasn't done. They said that there's nothing to update. I called the dealer back, and they said yes, we'll tape the right side. I'm not quite sure about the disconnect, since the update to the original recall was dated something like 15 Nov 2018.

For #2: if the wires are damaged, I think they have to replace the wiring harness if the plastic sheath on any of the individual wires is damaged and copper is exposed. That is a major bit of work (check this document):
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCRIT-18V579-5292.pdf

#47 UltraJetRefill, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    JackTheNarrator likes this.
  8. JackTheNarrator

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Ultra.

#2 Q a bit different

While driving -
    if damage affects one of the wires within the harness of the untaped side - what happens to that wire's system?

9. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Do you have some evidence that the original remedy is not, in fact, adequate to address the defect?
    Is such damage likely? Has anyone found exposed conductors or primary insulation (not just deformation of the outer wrapping from intended contact with the rigid plastic protector) on the harness for connector C32?

Remember, too, that unlike the harness for connector C33, which has +B and IGCT power supply wires, the harness for C32 just has the twelve signal wires for the excitation and detection coils of the motor and generator resolvers, plus a shield. I’d be surprised to find enough energy in the C32 harness to ignite anything.

As for what would happen if wires were broken or shorted, in the descriptions of the Motor Resolver Circuit and Generator Resolver Circuit in the Repair Manual (more info), Toyota writes, “If the resolver is malfunctioning, the vehicle may not drive smoothly.” See also the information for DTCs P0A3F16, P0A3F1F, P0A3F21, P0A3F22, P0A4B16, P0A4B1F, P0A4B21, and P0A4B22 and their entries in the Vehicle Behavior Chart.

Prodigyplace and alanclarkeau like this.
  10. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FWIW.......my neighbor has a 2016 (Gen 4) that had the entire harness replaced for this reason......

11. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Man, after looking at the pdf outlining the repair for the wiring harness, I shuddered at the thought of someone undoing all of those factory-torqued fasteners. It's probably just my tinfoil hat being on too tight, but I would really worry about 'new' problems after having that much work done. I get right side taped soon. Keeping fingers crossed...

The actual repair starts on p.21:
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCRIT-18V579-5292.pdf

Tande likes this.
  12. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Do you know if the damage was on the harness for connector C32 (“RH (Passenger Side)” in the recall instructions), connector C33 (“LH (Driver Side)”), or both?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  13. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, I do not......wish I did........what I do know is, she (elderly widow lady) had taken the car to the Toyota dealer for scheduled maintenance when it was discovered (no symptoms).......she was told about the bare wires (she, of course, has NO idea what they are talking about) & it would be covered under the recall .......as I remember, it took about 3/4 days to get the harness & R&R.......they did give her a loaner (y)

alanclarkeau likes this.
  14. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can someone tell me how to inspect the part of these two cables that are not visible from just looking at it directly.
    I'm assuming that cowl plastic black cover needs removing first?

SM-N960U1 ?

15. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, I'm sure glad I got mine done sooner than later. Seems like a heck of a job to replace it and would have hated toyota to basically take apart and reinstall the motor.. I figured it was a stupid problem that most likely never was an issue but it seems like several others had issues with the wires getting worn!

16. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Folks. Have any of you had this done already? How long did it take? I'm scheduled for monday and I need to decide if I am staying there or getting a shuttle to the office. Thanks

17. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think mine was 1.5 h. I just chilled in the dealership and tried to drink all of their coffee.

fsu23phd and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome, thanks for the info. They told me it would be about an hour and 20 minutes, but I didn't believe it. Good, I can hang out for that long. All the best

19. will the engineer

will the engineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just like any other recall. Register with Toyota owners site & they will list it. Do you have a Gen 4 Prius in addition to your Prime? The engine wiring harnesses are likely routed differently.