1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wiring harnesses for factory EV switch

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by galaxee, Apr 8, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we have decided, permanently, that we are no longer making these harnesses. thanks for your interest.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

just wondering if anyone's interested in pre-made wiring harnesses for installing a factory EV switch. DH is collecting materials to make one, and we thought we'd see if anyone else was interested while we're at it. **this is mainly to enable people who don't feel comfortable doing this on their own, if you're technically inclined you can easily do the mod without this kit.**

[edited for clarity]

this would include:
    -automotive grade (toyota) wiring
    -all pins needed already soldered on to the wires
    -a scotch-lok to tap into a power source
    -and a set of instructions [attachmentid=3428] with

all you need is the actual switch and housing (which come together), and the time and tools to pull your dash apart.

price would be $20 shipped to your door via USPS.

i'll get a picture of the next one we make before we send it out, they turned out much prettier and more organized than this- but to give you an idea:
    [attachmentid=2884]

note: the white connector shown is the housing, it comes with the ev kit and we do not include it.
    we also bundle the wires together so that they're easy to sort out and not a jumbled mess like this when you get them ;)
    </span></span>

2. car

car New Member

I would be very interested, especially if it will work for the 2006.

3. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds great. I'd be interested as well.

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    edit: the pin size for the 06 is different, so we'll have to wait on those. but with the right size pins, yes, it can work on the 06.

5. cdavid

cdavid Member

Does this require an add on part (such as coastal tech chip) to work with the switch, or will the switch itself transform the car into the Euro, Japanese version?

I'm a little confused over this, but I noticed in all your posts you listed "factory ev".

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    nope, no chip needed. you buy the switch, use the wiring harness to connect it to the ECU and a power source to illuminate the button, a couple grounds, and it's ready to go.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Will DH come to LA and install it for me?

;)

8. djd1230

djd1230 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Apr 8 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]237029[/snapback]</div>

I'd be interested in one also.

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [consolidated into post #1]

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Apr 8 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]237029[/snapback]</div>
    if you fly us out and put us up for a couple of days, sure :p

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 8 2006, 11:34 PM) [snapback]237048[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, I'm confused. What exactly are you sending folks? I thought you had some sort of plug and play module here but from the picture it just looks like a bunch of wires.

Getting and plugging in the pin to the ECU is very easy, tapping to ground is easy, the hardest thing is finding connectors and soldering them to wires for the button itself, but you don't include that.

I guess I'm just not clear on what you're sending anyone that will make installing the EV button any easier.

12. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 9 2006, 12:01 AM) [snapback]237088[/snapback]</div>
    The factory EV switch does not come with the wiring harness, it only comes with the white plug. You have to solder your own retainer sockets to wires (or pull them out of an old computer like I did) and attach them to the white plug before wiring them to the ECU and dimmer switch(optional).

In the picture posted by galaxee the long wire goes to the ECU, blue wire goes to ground and the green wires go to the dimmer switch.

13. Red Ginger

Red Ginger New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 8 2006, 07:00 PM) [snapback]237059[/snapback]</div>
    Will you drop by Hawaii while you're at it? B)

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 9 2006, 03:01 AM) [snapback]237088[/snapback]</div>
    actually, yes we do. and that's the whole point. ready-to-go wires with connectors ;)

we aren't including the white connector shown there because that's the housing, and it comes with the EV switch kit. no need to buy something twice.

and the pin for the ECU isn't way oversized so you don't have to go trying to jam this huge pin into a too-small hole like many have had to in the past- also easier to remove if need be.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 9 2006, 11:01 AM) [snapback]237162[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, I get it. Might I suggest including the wire taps for tapping into the power source and ground...that would truely save everyone a trip to Radio Shack.

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 9 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]237164[/snapback]</div>

evan, evan, evan.... :p

in the original post:
    "heck we'll also throw in a scotch-lok to make the connection for the illumination."

and we ground to a screw inside the dash.

:D

i formally intruduce a new board acronym: RTWFT (read the whole fine thread) :lol:

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

So these are the general types of connectors that'll be attached to the ends of the wires and these snap into the white plug that comes with the EV button.

Everyone should know that while this will speed the process of installing the factory EV button a bit and save time from running around trying to find the correct connectors and digging the pin from the steering column that it is still a relatively involved installation that involves significant dash disassembly, tapping into at least 2 wires (and a ground which is most easily accessed by tapping another wire as well.) And then you've gotta run the long wire behind the dash to the ECU and plug into the proper socket.

Worth $20? Probably if you don't have the time, energy, whatever to run around and find the parts or if you don't have a soldering gun and stuff... I definately spent close to $30 on stuff when I did the original EV button install. That said, I've used the soldering gun for many other home projects and Prius projects since...so that was a worth while investment for me.

I'm NOT trying to talk anyone out of buying this from Galaxee, I just want to make sure everyone knows what they're getting into. You should definately read both of the following articles to be absolutely certain you know what you've going to have to do realizing that some parts won't be necessary since the pin, wires and connectors to the EV button are included with Galaxee's harness.

Original EV Button Installation Article
    Factory EV Button Install

One last question for ya Gal...will you guys include instructions with photos of which wires go where on the connector and which wires tap into which wires on the dimmer and where the pin goes and how the dash is disassembled? Or will folks need to reference the articles above?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 9 2006, 11:20 AM) [snapback]237169[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, should have figured that our...never heard the term scotch-lok before

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 9 2006, 12:29 PM) [snapback]237172[/snapback]</div>
    yes, you will have to disassemble the dash to do this project, but we only tap into one wire. we ground the illumination and EV on a screw in the dash. it's less intrusive on the electrical system that way and leaves less evidence if you want to remove the switch.

yep, step by step instructions, and all wires on the harness are going to be labeled for clarity. photos where necessary to be absolutely clear.

19. cdavid

cdavid Member

So how much is the factory EV switch and where do you get one.

20. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cdavid @ Apr 9 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]237310[/snapback]</div>

It would be *great* if all this stuff -- the new harness & connectors, plus OEM switch, and whatever other componets are required -- came in one plug & play assembly with instructions.