1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiring modifications and voiding factory warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by xliderider, Dec 7, 2012.

?
  1. Neither, Toyota can void your warranty for any reason, without proof of damage to vehicle.

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Foglight DRL mod. As "add on equipment" they can't be as strict as with OEM equipment.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Highbeam DRL mod. As long as removable and reversible - go for it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am planning to do a DRL mod as I consider DRLs to be an important safety option on vehicles, especially one as seemingly invisible to other drivers as the Prius. However, I am worried about Toyota voiding my warranty due to the modifications to my OEM wiring.

Plan one:
    Rewire the 9005 high beams to function as DRLs at 50% power (1/2 of 65w = 32.5w), like on most current Toyota vehicles. This would require detaching the high beam bulbs from the OEM connector and connect them to an alternate wire harness that would enable the 9005 high beam bulbs to switch from the normal parallel circuit (100% power) to a series circuit (approximately 50% power) to serve as DRLs when in Ready Mode and parking/headlights are off. There would be a switch in the dash to enable/disable the DRL function. The system would have several relays to override the half power DRL mode when the high beams are turned on or flashed (switch back to parallel 100% power), or when the low beam head lights are turned on (power cut to high beam bulbs). So basically, other than the transmission position sensor functionality, this mod would mimic what is OEM on most Toyota vehicles available.

Technically, I would not be cutting or altering any of the factory wiring, or wiring harnesses. I would be disconnecting the high beam bulbs from the original factory harness and using my own harness which includes several relays (4), and many fuses (6) to ensure that everything works and is well protected if something doesn't work right. I am also considering making the DRL harness removable to go back to stock when needed (to service vehicle, etc.), though I don't know if any possible ECM codes could be generated from my mod, as the Prius is highly complex, especially with the integrated Hybrid/high voltage components.

Plan two:
    Use my add-on OEM-type foglights with the 50%/100% power switching as DRLs with my DRL harness, as in Plan one, to avoid heat issues that can arise from running foglights at full power in a much smaller enclosure during hot, daytime temperatures (1/2 of H11 55w = 27.5w, or 1/2 of H8 35w = 17.5w). The major difference, in my mind, between the two options is that the foglights were not installed from the factory, so any modifications I make to the function and wiring of them can't be considered as altering existing factory components/electrical systems.

I would like the added visibility that the high beam DRLs would give because, in addition to being much higher vertically than the foglights, the high beam reflectors also cast a much wider angle of view than the foglights, which are recessed into the bumper literally inches from the ground. However, the warranty concerns have me thinking I may need to give in and use the foglights as a less than ideal DRL mod.

Sorry for the wall of text, but what do you think? :)

P.S.
    I don't want to install an "LED strip" type DRL system, as I think it would seem like my vehicle is a Eurocar wanna be (no offense to any and all who have these installed. ;)

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Both mods are safe. They can't void your warranty unless they prove it was the said add-on that directly caused the failure of whatever factory components are involved. In that event, they can only void the warranty covering those specific components, not the entire car. Magnuson-Moss Act is your friend.

Braddles.au likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another question... has anyone run into warranty problems after doing any other mod like automatic headlights, folding/illuminated side mirrors, or SKS installed in passenger door/hatch?

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your reply, I'm aware of the Magnuson-Moss Act, but I also heard it can be difficult to go up against the car manufacturers if they deny you warranty coverage. Something like having to take them to court and such. A major hassle.

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Be careful of what you read though. Lots of BS going around regarding the act, by both distractors who claim it's not enforceable and supporters who have unrealistic expectations of what the act entails (I recently encountered one such individual who claimed that the Apple store is legally required to give you brand new retail box iPhone (rather than a white box replacement) should your iPhone arrived factory damaged under the Act :rolleyes: ). I ignore those armchair critics. The language is clear and manufacturers are generally careful not to violate it.

6. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need a fourth option of "Anything goes... as long as you don't botch it."
    If you make a mess of it and require Toyota's expertise to fix something, they could deny warranty.
    But if all that you do is splice in some wiring and leave everything else intact, you'll be fine.

Australia does not have an equivalent to the Magnuson-Moss Act. (There's no Lemon Laws either, so if you buy a new car that is faulty they are obliged to fix it, not replace it even if that means you rarely get to drive the car.) Despite that lack of formal protection, Toyota Australia does not void warranty on cars that have been converted to Plug-in even where the HV battery has been replaced and the car's firmware is being spoofed.
    So your DRL should be fine.

More importantly, check the headlight laws in your fine country from 1927 to make sure the DRL are legal. :)

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lol, yeah that option is very pertinent but implied. ;)