1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wish list for next generation Prius Plug-in

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 100 mph, Mar 7, 2014.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I guess if you call losing almost 15mpg in CS mode, & less passenger/cargo room good .... then yeah that would really really be good
    ;)

Tracksyde, Lourun, markabele and 2 others like this.
  3. woody weaver

woody weaver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    1. I'd wish for better interfaces for the display (integrating my phone or whatever into the system.) I've got what used to be considered a supercomputer sitting in my pocket, so why do I have this clunky Entune system?
    2. Particular point -- I've picked up a bluetooth OBD II adapter and Torque, and so why can't I have a flexibility via a dock mode, so I can monitor particular elements (RPM, horsepower, temps, etc) on that same in-dash display?
    3. I'd wish for better logging interfaces -- black box like capabilities of all the engine parameters, that I could transfer to my home network (NOT to an external web site.) Could be covered by point 1 above. Its an 'Internet of Things' discussion, but I think it is desirable.
    Have had the new beast less than a month (and I'm in love...) so reserve the right to add things to the wish list later.

drash likes this.
  4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Solar Roof. And not to just run exhaust fans when the car is parked (which to me would be great for battery longevity) but to run the fans when it is moving as well so I don't have to use EV range. This might also help when I need to run the fans when it is raining out. And if its winter out, top off the 12V while its sitting there when I'm at work.
    2. Heated steering wheel
    3. If we have to keep Entune at least use Entune for something useful like to keep track of the same things I would need an ODB II adapter for. I think woody weaver said something similar. Oh and include history that I can keep on my phone/tablet when I plug it in (Bluetooth or USB). I get tired of writing down on paper EV% and miles, etc. on every fuel up.
    4. Why do we have to have separate fog lights/DRLs? Why can't you just adjust the pattern/brightness/color? Isn't that the idea behind LEDs?

rogerv likes this.
  5. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats and welcome! I embellished a bit on your number 2 idea.

rogerv likes this.
  6. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    on top of what people have already posted. add A/C seats and steering wheel, update location of seat heater buttons. lit overhead driver/passenger light buttons, All LED lights, larger Nav screen, get rid of gray bar on top of Nav screen showing Bluetooth connection. faster voice recognition with less steps. faster back up camera on Nav screen. Integrate Google/Google Maps.

7. 100 mph

100 mph Junior Member

According to the April 2014 issue of Consumer Reports, survey results show the PIP with average reliability, whereas the non-PIP rates much better than average.

8. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    hill said, "I guess if you call losing almost 15mpg in CS mode, & less passenger/cargo room good .... then yeah that would really really be good".

The Volt it rated 40 hwy-37 combined.
    Just this morning I had 3 passengers, and their luggage, in my Volt for the first time.
    I burned gas for the first time in a long time on this round trip to the airport.
    I drive using ~30% less dollars on electricity, at current prices, for months at a time. (Last purchased gas 2-16-14)
    67% EV miles with odo at 12,850 miles.
    Run the numbers!

The Volt is an actual EV, with a change to 'Prius mode' after ~38 miles. (25-50 seasonally).
    It is not a 3 season patched together hybrid w/EV emulations and very weak EV performance.
    In fact, the PIP has to run both MG's, (one of them backwards to keep the engine still), to pretend it's an EV.

I understand some people have brand loyalty. Maybe this can be explained, maybe not.
    I'm a man of science. I would have bought a Volt even if KIA produced it.

9. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Consumer Reports are Idiots! I think.
    Two different reports. I do not think they are based on anything. Just my two cents.

CharlesH likes this.
  10. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If you really want to "run the numbers" then you probably should look at each individuals' numbers, not just your own. It is very well documented that there is a certain commute length (depending on ability to charge) where the Volt is a clear winner. Smaller than that range and above that range the PiP is a clear winner.

3PriusMike likes this.
  11. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    As a new PIP owner for the last 36 hours (previously an '04 BC and '11 Five), the only thing I miss on the Advanced with Tech package is the Lane Keep Assist that I had on the 2011 Five. There was no way I would buy any car that didn't have DRCC and Pre-Collision systems.

And of course, a real compact spare. The logic of Toyota including a tire repair kit that knowingly damages an expensive electronic component in order to address a routine flat is an embarrassing failure.

I'll get over missing LKA. LKA, while irritating when the camera lost lane markings, was at least a reasonable feature relative to the fluff of the rather useless Intelligent Parking Assist.

Overall, while I agonized over waiting for the redesigned '15 vs getting a state rebate and HOV sticker on a '14, I'm happy I didn't wait.

12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on your new ride! And welcome to the plug-in club!

iPad ? HD

rxlawdude likes this.
  13. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ... for two model for which the only difference is the traction battery size. :rolleyes:

Some time ago there was discussion in this forum about the definition of "reliability". Some of us (including me) think of the reliability of a car in terms of it consistently getting us from point A to point B, while not funding vacations to Hawaii for the dealer's service manager. Others (including, apparently CR) include peripheral things like the whether the audio/nav system performs up to some standard.

I don't think anyone here has been able to explain how the PiP could get lower reliability ratings than the standard Prius.

3PriusMike and jdk2 like this.
  14. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S

Thanks. I'm really stoked. And a shout out to Dianne W for making the transaction effortless.

DianneWhitmire and retired4999 like this.
  15. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Toyota's gonna have to either come up with a fully electric Prius ala Rav4 EV or make something with a 35-40 mile range. The plus to this car in CA, where it sells 50% of them monthly, is the green HOV sticker and those are nearly gone now. I just handed out a sticker that started with #37,xxx yesterday. Meaning, this car won't be worth the extra $$ without the HOV access. Thank heavens there's still a $4000 state incentive. But without HOV access, the price had better stay low.

I want a fully electric Prius.

Greenwave, rogerv, Ploni and 5 others like this.
  16. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Excuse me? I have neither next to my toilet!! :ROFLMAO:

17. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AND sell it outside of California. If Toyota won't sell me an all electric, I know a three letter company and a company that begins with F that will.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where do you park your beer?:cool:

19. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I've changed my mind about increased EV range. I now want the next generation Prius to look like the the Cadillac ELR. WOW! In reality, I need a daily driver and not a show car.

20. TomSwift

TomSwift Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    In response to Dianne W's comment about the next gen Prius having an all electric option or a substantially increased EV range: I hope you are right. If they don't I will have to give a Nissan Leaf a close look when I retire my 2006 Gen 2 next year.