1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

with gas at $3+ a gallon...how much would lowering the national speed limit to 55mpg help with the c

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bagwell, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 24 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]244351[/snapback]</div>

Ah, yes, the old invasion of privacy thing....*sigh*

A few years back, some NYC employees were caught ripping off the city b/c they were billing the city for overtime that they didn't work. They were caught when their time cards were compared to EZ-Pass records showing that they had crossed toll bridges going home hours before they had allegedly left work.

Bottom line is, if you're not doing anything wrong, what are you worried about?

2. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deh2k @ Apr 24 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]244311[/snapback]</div>
    very well said.

3. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jfschultz @ Apr 24 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]244329[/snapback]</div>

Umm... this is how the ohio turnpike works (Interstate 80/90 in northern ohio going from Pennsylvania to Indiana) You get a ticket when you enter and you return the ticket and pay the toll when you exit... The Ohio Turnpike is 3 lanes (or more) in both directions and speed limit is 65 mph for cars and trucks (they moved the truck speed form 55 to 65 last year to encourage trucks to get back on the trunpike and stop using seconndary roads not able to handle them)

Plus, the rest stops on the turnpike are very nice and have great cinnabun's!

4. mitchbf

mitchbf New Member

This is actually how all turnpikes work that I've ever seen...

The problem that surfaced in the 70's (gosh I'm old) :p was that it takes forever to get anywhere at 55 miles per hour, particularly in some of the wide open states of the West, eg. Montana, Wyoming etc. It also tended to affect truck drivers as well (over the road). What we need to do is come up with more energy efficient means to move people. We're woefully short of mass transit and in many areas people are forced to drive. The hybrid technology has shown that significant improvement can be made in the short term but long term we need to be investigating alternatives. Unfortunately, we don't seem to be able to get anywhere without someone putting a gun to our heads. :angry:

5. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mehrenst @ Apr 24 2006, 09:40 AM) [snapback]244291[/snapback]</div>
    A Federal Gas Tax of $3.00? Well, we could take care of the Medicare problem and set up a decent health care system, not to mention rebuilding refineries with the best available control technology...of course, gwb would be blamed... :lol:

6. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I agree that lowering the speed limit will not work. When people belive they will save more by slowing down, they will.

Speed limits should be based on safety factors only.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone *has* put a gun to our heads ... or a boxcutter to our
    throats, at least. And we still didn't get it.
    _H*

8. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 24 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]244351[/snapback]</div>
    No Pain, No Gain. :D If you thnk the govenrment can't figure out where you are or where you've been then you're not in reality. The only way you can disappear from the "nose that knows" is by totally disappearing from any form of electronics transaction.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim1eye @ Apr 24 2006, 11:36 AM) [snapback]244377[/snapback]</div>
    On the other hand, I suspect that the Jews said somethig similar as they were forced to wear yellow Star Of David armbands.

9. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finally_got_one @ Apr 24 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]244537[/snapback]</div>
    So? Taxes will have to be raised at some point and whoever is in office will get blamed. I'm sure that Bush and the Republican politicos are planning on using this approach at some point in the future. I can hear it now.... "SEE!!! Those %#*@% Democrats did it again!!! They get in power and immeadiately raise taxes!!!" Of course everyone will politely ignore that taxes have to be raised to payoff the spending of the Bush Bunch :ph34r: which was financed by selling U.S. debt to foreign governments.

There's no such thing as a free lunch and if I'm going to have to pay for it then I'd prefer to have the money spent here and not on some adventure to try to build an oil empire in the Middle East.

10. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mehrenst @ Apr 29 2006, 11:41 PM) [snapback]247424[/snapback]</div>
    This isn't exactly true - if Democrats are smart (pick your emoticon by party affiliation), they'll get into office and start using our tax money more responsibly (eliminate just a % of government waste and you'll be able to support any number of environmental, political, and local causes), and start *passing* moderate reforms. Half measure are better than no measures at all,and it's time for us to get to work. I'm beginning not to care which party wakes up first, as long as someone realizes it's time to put the people first.