1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

With or Without Wheel Covers? High Res Comparo Photos

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by priusblogg, Nov 19, 2009.

1. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: Voted No Covers at Store by Customers

Still a Prius???

I think the 2010 Prius is GORGEOUS!!!

2 people like this.
  2. codybigdog123

codybigdog123 Got Mad and Left in a Tizzy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Agree. Wheel covers off.

Do not agree that it's "ugly as sin". I can think of many, many cars that fall well below the Prius in the ugly department. But yes, it's still a Prius. That's a good thing, right? :cool: For many, that's a badge of honor. For many, function over form is paramount. :D

...and yet millions of people still buy their product. ;)

If you want something that has the style of a tesla, but with better reliability, and 100's more dealerships....suggest you look at Toyota's other brand, the Lexus.

Disagree. The front of the new Honda Civic Hybrid looks great, but the back and the side look pretty much the same as the Prius...and the inside of the hybrid civic is HORRIBLE looking. I mean - what was Honda thinking? I looked and test drove both vehicles, and while I likes the exterior styling of the H civic slightly better (because of the front grill), the exteriro styling of the hybrid Civic was a complete and utter turn-off. I won't even bother to go into the functional shortcomings of the civic, when compared to the Prius...

3. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It sure worked well for my Great Aunt in her living room. :pound:

And to Priusblog: While I haven't been able to drive my car in warm weather after it's been broken in, my best tank was my first tank, at 48.x mpg.

4. priusblogg

priusblogg New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From the map it appears you're on very flat ground. I have three tanks under my belt all at 42-43mpg, lots of steep hills and virtually intersection to intersection in Newport. A/C use normally mandatory. (If you make 2 lights in the area in a month its luck.)
    So my MPG would get into 38-39 with 17's.

For what its worth: The Fusion Hybrid I drove for a day got 39-41 in same conditions, heavier car, much, much faster acceleration. (8.4 sec 0-60 Vs 10.3)

5. priusblogg

priusblogg New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

If you want something that has the style of a tesla, but with better reliability, and 100's more dealerships....suggest you look at Toyota's other brand, the Lexus.

LEXUS? What style even comes into the Hemisphere of a Tesla S Sedan? And Fisker? Come on! No where does it show scientifically that a hybrid has to look like the Prius to get maximum efficiency. I again point to the much heavier, much faster Fusion Hybrid that got me 39-41 in exact same driving conditions as I am getting 41-43 in my 20010 Prius.

Disagree. The front of the new Honda Civic Hybrid looks great, but the back and the side look pretty much the same as the Prius...

I was talking about the 2011 Honda CR-Z Hybrid, not the current fake Hybrid (runs on gas all the time.) which I actually think is very nice looking...

6. sdleo726

sdleo726 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    wheel covers off... 2/3 of the way on my 1st tank - 47.2mpg.

7. arolswim

arolswim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I lost 2 plastic caps a few months ago which I replaced at about $70 each from the dealer and then a 3rd flew off yesterday when I hit a small piece of a curb. They are really fragile but I do like the look better. So now do I buy 4 center caps from parts.com for about $50 or buy 4 new plastic hubcaps on e-bay for $80 plus $10 shipping? then I can have 3 spares for when they go a flying! Any thoughts?

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, 3 covers lost in about 3 months. :(

(In comparison, I haven't lost a single cover in about 3 years -- and a lot of my driving is over the rough, pot-holed streets of New York City.)

I think it's purely your own call whether to go with wheel covers or center caps.

But with your unfortunate luck with wheel covers, if you decide to continue with the wheel covers, I'd suggest securing them with double-sided foam tape, glue and/or zip ties.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oye, that sucks. I have them off so I don't really have a cover issue. Like Boo said, perhaps considering ziptie-ing them?

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are going to continue to drive around banging into curbs I would suggest getting the wheel covers from Ebay. Wheel covers are cheaper then fixing damaged wheels

11. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you go with center caps please check with me. I will match or beat parts.com by a few bucks. Brand new, never used. Just arrived the other day but not the style I wanted.

12. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i'm thinking about going back to the hubcaps.

the rims look a little "lost" without them.

maybe next year i'll do a 17" setup and use the 15" for winter

13. ALL_600D

ALL_600D New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just slapped these on today. 17" TC rims painted black.

Attached Files:

14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like all that you've done with the car.

15. ALL_600D

ALL_600D New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks! more upgrades on the way.

16. arolswim

arolswim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone have plastic hubcap covers that they are not using anymore? I am looking to buy some.

17. Gen 3 for me

Gen 3 for me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A big advantage of not using the wheel covers is that you can keep your wheels clean better and easier. Taking the wheel covers on and off will scrape the paint away eventually. Brake dust is not good for paint and I would think it will get trapped between the wheel cover and the wheel.

18. arolswim

arolswim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you all think that the hubcap/wheel covers help protect the wheels, brakes, rotors in the winter when salt is on the road?

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    possibly but remember that the rim is fully exposed on the other side so you may protect the front, but the back is fully exposed. Also, it's a PITA to clean behind the covers because crud can accumulate instead of being flinged off.

20. bum944

bum944 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife would like a little differentiation on her Prius without spending much $. Can the platic wheel covers be chromed? Actually black chrome would be better, she doesn't like too much bling.