1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

With So Much Stuff Right....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by donee, Mar 15, 2009.

1. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I have been thinking lately that the Prius has a so much stuff conceptually, and implentationally right. These things make it a wonderful car. But there is one thing where Toyota completely blew it, conceptually, and implementationally, and utterly in my opinion.

What is conceptually wrong is the idea of hiding the detail of what the car is doing from the operator, with some kinda thinking that they can hide that stuff and make the car seem like other cars. But, drive the Prius for more than a few months, in all kinds of weather, and you will notice it doing different things. And if your capable of noticing such, the Prius really should be telling you it is, and better yet - why. But it does not.

Most people that drive other cars, know what the car is doing, and the dashboard tells them that. They are concious of the car. So, they know what to expect, when. The technology is operationally simple. The Prius technology is not operationally as simple. And hiding that makes the Prius frustrating to operate without add-on stuff.

I think the MFD is the biggest issue. First off - its too far off the driver's line of sight to the road. The graphics on it are not sufficiently comunicative, even wrong (no MG1 displayed). There are no gauge numbers. And there is stuff that is communicated only qualitatively that really need to be quantitative! And whats worse in the 2010 the drive train information has been simplfied and made smaller.

Here is what the Prius needs, for the experienced Prius driver to reliably drive it to within 90 % of its potential - in my opinion.

First off it needs temp gauges for the engine coolant and motors. The reason for this is the hybrid system operating mode is tightly linked to the engine coolant temperature, and motors can be damaged if operated at high temps for a prolonged time. At present there is no way to know what is OK for long service life. And this is apparently causing mountain living poeple some greif. These have to be a number display, because the break-points are sharp. A needle display would be useless.

Second a mode indicator would be good too. Like Warmup Stage - 1,2,3,4,5 (indicated by the car). These could be color changes too - blue stage, etc. Because sometimes the mode is not only temperature related.

Next in importance it needs a tachometer. With the CVT, there is no tight linkage between engine and vehicle speed. To operate the Prius efficienctly during accellerations, one needs a tachometer. The engine is too quiet at efficient operating RPM's to gauge by ear over road noise. The tacometer can be needle, but should also be a number so needle position can be related to the higher accuracy number. Ideallly, if the engine in the MFD display changed color based on RPM, with a fine gradation of colors, that would be good - but only if the MFD was straight ahead of the driver.

Third the Prius needs a battery current (or power) gauge. One can achieve great improvements in regeneration during braking with such a gauge. One needs to see battery usage current when the battery SOC is low. If SOC is low, then accellerations can be operated to charge the battery, rather than use it. And visa versa if SOC is high. During a suburban side-street trip its really a small accellerator pedal position change between ending a trip at 60% SOC and 45 % SOC. Paying attention to this can be used to extend battery life. A Tachometer and Battery current meter can be used in highway driving to get the best fuel economy - drive at the RPM where Battery current has a small magnitude and toggles between pluse and minus - socalled SHM (Supper Highway Mode). This is good for 10 to 20 mpg improvement in instaneous fuel economy depending on conditions. SHM is effected by air temp and tire temp, battery SOC, wind and road slope. It some situation 50 mph/1216 rpm is right, at others 56 mph/1344 rpm is right. The colors on the Prius display are functional indicators. But, the arrow heads and positions are also functional indicators - which is duplicious. These arrows need to change color depending on the quantitative value, not functional state.

An audible indication of time till battery SOC will cause a charging state to be required would be good. "Ten Minutes till Charging at this Average Power". This would be triggered when steadily high power requirements are being used - such as uphill runs. Then push a button, and the car would suggest a speed for stead state battery SOC hill climbing on the slope your on.

An inclinometer would be good. With an inclinometer, one could more readily know when to change accelerator pedal position to transition the car out of its electric highway mode to the engine powered highway mode. We have shallow variations in slope around here, and by the time the speedometer starts dropping, or one can sense the change, one has to use more engine power to get back up to speed, rather than just turn on the engine at the steady state climbing rpm. If it was a numerical display, it would help with jumping right to the SHM rpm for the conditions faster.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Your frequent use of the word "NEEDS" begs the question of who.

What purpose does the additional information serve for joe consumer?

That's nice for those with special interests (as described by owners who purchase aftermarket displays like ScanGauge), but it fulfills a want... not a need.

3. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Donee,

I'll agree that if Toyota were making the Prius for just you or me you would be right, I'd like lots more information. (A scangauge helps).

But I think you need to look at the car from the typical driver's perspective. Most drivers don't like to be overloaded with data that they have no control over, and they wouldn't understand what to do with the information anyway. Toyota had a hard enough time making people believe the car could be driven just like a regular car. To add all that extra data would just give more ammunition to the nay-sayers that claim the car is too complex or required a engineering degree to drive it.

I do like the concept of the eco mode and power mode in the 2010 version, but everything else you ask for is pretty well managed by the computer, and you get immediate feedback on how economically you are driving via the MFD, which already has the most comprehensive economy data of any car I've seen. If you want more, I'd suspect you are in the extreme minority of Prius drivers.

4. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree. The typical Prius driver doesn't need additional gauges. I think people have been making this sort of plea since gauges first began to be replaced by warning lights. Early on, these complaints were probably valid because the cars had no safeguarding against their destruction if the driver unknowingly continued to drive when oil pressure dropped off or the car began to run too hot. However, modern cars basically prevent their own doom in the event of a system failure.

But really, aside from hypermilers and other such enthusiasts, who cares what the engine rpm, coolant temp, etc are? If any of these parameters strays from its normal range, warnings will be issued and the car will likely shut down. The average driver would be better served by some sort of an index that represents the various parameters that are representative of instantaneous fuel efficiency, and this is exactly what the current MFD provides. If the driver so chooses, he/she can monitor the MFD to maximize fuel efficiency. Measurements like oil pressure are vital to the life of the ICE, but what is the average driver going to do if the oil pressure appears to be out of range? They will never see this because the computer will intervene before they can do anything about it.

I would argue that the MFD could be made simpler yet. I think the average driver would benefit most from an aggregate of all the pertinent parameters that maximize fuel efficiency. This aggregate measurement could be displayed in a convenient location, say next to the speedometer, and provide instantaneous feedback about the drivers habits, but ignore what warmup stage they are in and indeed whether they are gliding or not.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hope there is a hidden screen that we can unlock to see those details for the pros. If not, someone will come up with after-market device such as CAN View.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm. The HiHy has a battery "gauge" and a coolant temp gauge. At least the 2009 Highlander Hybrid Limited that I sat in at the dealership had those features, along with an "Econ" button and an "EV" button

It would be easy to add many more features, but leave them hidden from the average Joe Consumer. Eg: my folks used to have 2003 Buick LeSabre Limited. It was actually a nice car, I liked driving it

The cluster was fairly basic: speed, coolant temp, fuel level. However, the Driver Information Center you could drill down to see many live values: instant coolant temp, instant battery volts, and instant oil pressure

I agree it would be nice if the Prius offered a similar drill-down menu system. Actually, the Prius already offers a bit of that, but it requires a MFD and button dance to get it to display.

It would have been nice to have an extra button target on the MFD, eg "Options."

Touch the "Options" box, the first level gives you stuff like "HSD System," "Engine," whatever. Touch one of those, get far more detailed information

I actually drive with my MFD off most of the time. Especially at night, it can be a distraction. I'm quite frankly shocked that more new Prius drivers don't get into crashes as they fixate on the MFD, and rear end somebody at a red light

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

John
    Joe Consumer wants to drive cars. The original Prius purpose is to improve the things in cars that will limit how many cars can be driven. Such add ons are the difference between getting 46 mpg, and 58 mpg in everyday service - I think. And that means the planet being able to support 26 percent more Prius-like cars.

Narf,
    The extra instrumentation is the difference between driving the car smoothly in metro traffic, or testing to find out what operating mode its in, when. Typically, to find out if one can glide one starts out around 30 mph, and lifts the peddle, pushes the peddle up to no-arrows, then gradually pushes and watches for yellow arrows only. If engine arrows come on it means the engine has been running all the time during this maneuver and the car needs to warm up more. Besides being inefficient in comparison to glancing at a temperature gauge (decellerating/acellerating with the engine idling and not providing motive power during the reacel, and decelerating causing unnecassary regen) it anoying to people behind you. Is it this kind of thing that causes some Prius Rage? I wonder ? Besides that, to then find out if your in the 35 mph glide mode, you get up to 35 mph and do the same thing over. Depending on the climate, wind, startup temp, etc, one cannot judge where this is going to be in one's route. With me depending on season it happens between 1 and 5 miles out. When the weather changes, it very annoying to have to search for the new hybrid mode enabled location. With a gauge, its clear. With the warmup mode indicator it would be easier yet.

Jayman,

I agree. The MFD is so far off to the right and down, and people will look at it, first to learn the Prius, and second to use it to drive the Prius that their long distance and left looking scanning is curtailed.

Put the thing as high as possible dead in front of the driver. A glance at it does not take the peripheral vision off the road any more than a speedometer in older cars. Make the height adjustable, with a line on the windhield that says "Do Not Adjust Display Higher than This level". Make the quantitative info color communicated. Get rid of the functional map, we are not running an industrial reactor with LabView software here, and this takes away from the change in on-screen shapes. Shapes should stay the same, and change color, with simple blacking-out operations to indicate "off" status of the block. This is far less distracting then having moving pictures. The block relative position in the panel and its color change can be percieved in the peripheral vision without even taking one's eye from the road. The difference is you need to read the manual to understand such a display. Which is no biggie.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Recall when Classic Prius was available for sale and 53K units were sold in the US over three model years. Graham Davies built a wonderful miniscanner that provides far better Prius-specific info than the Scan Gauge, was priced at $189 and even allowed connection to a laptop computer to store data parameters under observation.
    http://www.ecrostech.com/Products/MiniScanner/Intro.htm

Yet he managed to sell only one hundred units to customers in US and Europe (less than 0.2%), which helps to demonstrate the market for this instrumentation is tiny.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Labview made display screen programming so much easier. I, like Tom, is from a much earlier generation and exposed to such systems as Honeywell TDC 2000 (Hiway Data Network), TDC 3000 (Local Control Network with Hiway Gateway interface), and Bailey INFI 90 (INFINet)

For example, to set up the TDC 3000 Universal Station touch screen (Of COURSE it had a touch screen!), one had to mount the Engineer Personality and start the Picture Editor.

There were many tasks one could do. For example, build a touch box target and assign a behavior to it. Eg, say a large multi-stage compressor hooked up to a batch reactor. The compressor is tagged using a floating value at address FL5028:

IF (CMP_S(GS_ENM(FL5028.PV),EQ,"ON"));
    ENT_EXEC ("PRESS ENTER TO TURN OFF FLAG");
    SS_ENM(FL5028.PV,"OFF");
    ELSE;
    ENT_EXEC("PRESS ENTER TO TURN ON FLAG");
    SS_ENM(FL5028.PV,"ON");
    ENDIF

You don't even want to know how to set up flags and numerics to track running hours for a CMMS. It's downright scary, but if you wish, let me know

You young whipper-snappers with your LabView had it easy ...

10. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Donee,
    All I'm saying is that you (and I) are a very small minority of Prius drivers who could/would use that info. I think most would be confused, and it could actually scare some potential buyers away if they think they have to understand this stuff to drive the car.

I use my scangauge for lots of the things you mention. But I'm pretty geeky about these things.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I must disagree. Most of the important stuff in other, far simpler cars is also hidden. Most cars are now designed to be operated as a common appliance, a toaster, for as much function as possible. A lot of detail scares away many customers, and creates a large number of support calls and costs from users who don't understand, and others who know just enough to get themselves into trouble. Those groups far outnumber the techies who can make good use of it.

12. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Count me as one of those people who would never use all that info and would rather just drive the car. I'd prefer the Toyota software be programmed to do a better job of taking all those factors into account if it's really that useful to increasing MPG. That would be the main purpose of the gauges, right? Right now, the system doesn't even do a simple thing like feathering/backing off the gas, even though I've obviously gotten up to and am maintaining a steady speed and a steady pressure on the pedal. Why should I have to work so hard at feathering the pedal? Why should I have to work so hard at making the system NOT use the battery, if that is so important to increasing MPG?

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Example: in the "old" days, automobiles actually had engine oil pressure gauges, believe it or not. Then you'd have owners wondering why at a certain vehicle speed, their gauge only read x while their friend's automobile's gauge read a higher value y.

In the current day, you have PriusChat owners asking about traction battery SOC and being worried because their gauge shows too much green or too little red, etc. So the more instrumentation that is available, the more there is for people to worry about.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    An "instrumentation package" would have been a nice choice but Toyota is dead set against giving the end users access to their car's data.

15. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There is a big difference between the information needed to drive safely and the information needed to fully understand the Prius internal operation. I'm not sure things get safer with indications that are valuable to a small group and potentially distracting to a larger group. (Hey Leroy, start driving to make the battery indicator top out.)

My complaint is that there are too many lights, indicators, and other stuff that try to communicate something (important or minor?) with an strange icon. Just today the wife was mentioning some strange light came on ("Maint Req", the frigging oil light) and she was not quite sure what to do other than to drive home and tell me.

The one thing I think could have been done is for the MFD is to provide basic diagnostic information and help information to the non-technical driver, (e.g. the oil reminder, or tire pressure, or abs, etc. This should only be available when parked) That was the lost opportunity.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As much as I disliked my 2000 GMC Sierra - nasty reliability issues - it seemed to have a decent balance of information.

Eg: Ig-Off. Press and hold the odo button. The odo display would show elapsed engine time in hours. That's a handy way of doing maintenance if there is a lot of idle time

When the oil life monitor thought it was time for an oil change, the Driver Information Center would put in amber "Change Engine Oil" The newer GM trucks would also display the percentage of estimated oil life left

A lot of this data can be kept safely hidden, but it would be easily drilled down for those who really want to know. It's not very difficult to build touch screen menus, I was doing that in the mid 1980's with Honeywell TDC 3000 Universal Station operator displays

17. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi ggood,

Well, the pedal is an "accellerator". An ideal accellerator control should have to be feathered anytime your going a constant speed. Because constant speed is zero acceleraation.

The only reason new Prius drivers do not is because of the non-ideal nature of directly throttle-linked accelerator pedals that they are used to.

What the Prius uses your pedal position for is what to configure the transmission too. The engineer apparently expects you to know what is the constant speed position. But, without a sensative accelerometer (new idea!) your only guessing. If your on the high side of a constant speed pedal position, it gears down the transmission and runs the engine at a higher RPM, wasting gas through extra pumps (pumping loss) per minute, but giving a quicker acceleration reaction time. This works very well for long merge lane in-traffic merging. If you knew what the RPM was, then you would know how much further you could lift and keep the car running down the road at constant speed, and save allot more gas. Or at least it could be learned in short order. For example, I had a dentist appointment today. On the trip back to work I achieved 75 mpg. This was because I knew what to do with the pedal, through learning what the car does when watching an add-on instrument panel. Although I was not using it today. This was a 22 mile trip, with speeds of 50 to 60 mph on the highway, but mostly at 53 mph in light traffic. And of course with the warm weather (55 F), and the trip to the dentist one hour before, the thermos bottle was full of hot coolant, which reduced warm up time allot.

If the computer tried to mimic a throttle-linked accelerator pedal it would eventually run out of depression range, and not go to full power. So, the Prius models the ideal accelerator pedal.

Being in Houston you probably do not have as variable of temperature conditions. If its 0F in the morning one day , and then two days later its 45 F, well, its hard to know what the car is going to do. That happens here often enough. There is a lag effect of cold temperature too, as the battery temp does not recover until there is prolonged warmth. And battery temp governs battery power. If you have not driven your Prius in 0 degree weather, you would probably be lucky to get 30 mpg in a 25 mile trip commuting, whereas I do in the high 40's mpg.

18. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Adding an analog tachometer took care of the issue for me. Now I know what the ICE is doing, and that's the only thing that is truly hidden from the driver. I use the Scangauge, too, but mostly to display things that are already there (SoC, etc.) at better resolution than the MFD allows.

19. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think one of the things that Toyota and other foreign makers have done, vs. the domestic US automakers is to deal with the fact that large numbers of people don't want to think about their cars and trucks. They just want them to get them from place to place. They don't want to know about the percentage of oil life left, or the RPMs. They just want to know when they really have to change the oil. The foreign makers made their cars help keep people from screwing them up without thinking about it. US makers on the other hand made cars for Americans who expected to have to Fix Or Repair Daily, etc. No one thought that much about it.

The fact is that through most of my driving life (1972-2008) I drove vehicles that were supposed to have "much worse than average" repair records, i.e. my 81 Pontiac Grand Prix, my 89 Cherokee Pioneer and my 01 Chevy Blazer. I've had no serious problems with any of them. That's because I was trained on the need to watch all this stuff and take care of my vehicles. Most people today aren't. Messing with video games or iPods is so much more interesting than changing your own oil (to most people under 30!).

20. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be "nice to have" if toyota had the option button to enable/disable super-advanced instrumentation on the MFD like on the japanese can-view. but most people probably won't use it.