1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured WLTP to face Extinction?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by drash, Apr 13, 2024.

Tags:
  1. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Hows that relevant when we talk about cars that can be charged with electricity?

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Overstating the obvious?

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Even inefficient BEVs will reduce green house gas emissions on most grids. Even the Prius Prime might emit less on Ev than on gas.

The latter is more the issue with PHEV incentives than the cars' efficiency level. There simply wasn't any incentive to use the PHEV as an EV, so they weren't. It is a repeat of the US flexfuel incentives. Manufacturers got CAFE credits for selling flexfuel cars, so they put the engines in nearly everything. There wasn't anything to get them to ensure owners actually used E85 though.

4. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I'm pretty sure that you can. If you have a car that gets 90 MPGe (BMW i7 xDrive60) and another that gets 119 MPGe (Toyota Prius Prime) when used the same way it's pretty obvious that one uses more electricity to do the same job.

If one of them charges in 4 hours at home using a $100 EVSE and existing infrastructure (Prius) and the other requires that you build dozens of parking lots with chargers all over town (or a $1000 fast DC charger at home BMW i7), there's a pretty easy to spot difference.

And then there's my favorite irony. Charging stations are being installed in remote areas like the town of "Grapevine" on I-5 in California. They expanded the capacity of the peaker plant there so that they can charge the Teslas at the mall. Further up the road they have rest stops that have been recently rebuilt, and they all have huge tanks of what appears to be either compressed nat gas or butane. And a large generator to power... something.

If we want to fight climate change it would be smart to encourage people to use the most ecologically friendly techniques at hand. Looking forward 30 years, it won't do much good to have a fancy BMW i7 xDrive60 to drop off your kids at school if the school is under water.

#24 dbstoo, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
  5. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In our area of the United States there is a very powerful reason to plug your PHEV in to run on electric - it is much cheaper transportation that way.

PHEV's are easily underappreciated unless you own one and have a lifestyle that is a perfect fit for the vehicle.

We have a Level 2 charger at home and a few years ago used to approach 90 miles a day on all electric driving with the PHEV.

Our PHEV is 5 years old and has over 60,000 miles on it.
    Our other vehicle is 4 years old, it is a SUV gasser and has less than 20,000 on it.

Both nice vehicles but the discrepancy in mileage is due to the one vehicle being so much cheaper to run.

#25 John321, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
  6. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We WANT EV chargers in remote areas. Perhaps even if they aren't the lowest CO2 fuel source. This gives people that might not choose an EV to get an EV for all their needs, thus lowering total CO2.

Mike

Edit: I should add that Grapevine isn't really a remote area. It is right on I-5 between LA and SF one of the most traveled roads in CA

#26 3PriusMike, May 11, 2024
    Last edited: May 11, 2024
    austingreen, fuzzy1 and Trollbait like this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And electricity production can always shift to a cleaner source in the future.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is exactly why I recently swapped from a regular hybrid to a PHEV instead of a pure EV.

For my purposes, Interstate Highways are a definition of not remote, and already seem somewhat reasonably served for the existing fleet. But I regularly travel very far off that Interstate network to rural areas with much less service, in northern-US foul winter weather conditions when ranges are very significantly reduced.

A shift that is already rapidly in progress.

9. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    deleted by Dan

#29 dbstoo, May 11, 2024
    Last edited: May 11, 2024
    John321 likes this.
  10. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I'm not sure what 'remote' might be when it comes to interstate highway rest stops. I figure that if they have to use tankers to bring in water it's probably remote. If they need huge pressurized fuel tanks to run generators... it's probably remote. If the gas station at the off-ramp is charging twice as much as they charge at home... that's remote.

And lastly; if there are 40 BEVs lined up to charge at a bank of superchargers, and the line of people waiting stretches out of site, it's probably remote.

John321 likes this.
  11. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Always frightening when people begin to tell you "what you really want".

Most of us would be capable of figuring that out for ourselves as you suggested.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I figure that if you consider any Interstate Highway rest stop to be "remote", then you just don't go to what I call "remote".

For just one example, Fernly NV to Holden UT along Highway 50 is beautiful. Don't forget to take several side trips off it, more than just Great Basin National Park. But the supercharger planned for Ely is still not open.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    No kidding .... just try & find a QC of any kind on the numerous state highways running perpendicular to interstates 40, 80 & 90 across the flyovers. Nothing but farms, ranches & open range for 100's of miles.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  14. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yeah, my family is like that. "Roughing it" is when there's no room service. Remote is when it's going to take a significant part of the afternoon to get a AAA tow truck on the scene and then get towed to a mechanic who can fix the car.