1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Won’t start, even after a jump.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KatieH, Aug 8, 2020.

1. KatieH

KatieH New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

My 2004 Prius wouldn’t start. I think I accidentally left a door open and the dome light drained the battery. I tried to jump it, but no luck. I’m aware of the difficulties finding a good place to ground the negative, but I’ve jumped before and used the spot where it’s worked in the past.

Additional info: I got a new 12v battery in October (less than a year ago). The key fob lock/unlock stopped working 2 months ago, but I still see a red light when I click the lock/unlock on the fob. I don’t know if the fob issues are related or not.

Thank you for your help!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When the battery is connected and ready for the jump start, you can test the connections by turning on your radio/headlights/etc to see if you actually have a good connections. If the headlights are strong and radio functions work, you should be able to jump start the car.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    AND....it is possible that your battery is SO dead that it is sapping the energy from the jump source and the voltage is still too low to start.
    That is more likely if your jump source is something small.......versus a full sized real battery.

Often there is no good substitute for a multi-meter.
    The little red ones from Harbor Freight are just a few cents under $7 now.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What difficulties finding a ground?

Hope you are using the front jump point. If battery was killed by leaving a light on it’s done replace it.

And then cross your fingers it starts because

A: We see so many people on this site blow there cars up jump starting them.
    Many from reverse polarity jumping because there jumping it directly to the battery in the trunk the other I suspect the battery is so perfectly 0 volt dead it presents a dead short to the charging battery and pulls Meg’s current
    I suspect that huge inrush of current from donor car damages the cars 12 volt buss and blows fuses.
    Donor car should never have there engine running.

I would never ever jump start a Prius.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How many hours per week are you currently driving?

Most likely your battery still has a full warranty, measure the voltage at the jump points under the hood if possible, or take it back for testing.

Bit of a haul, but maybe @PriusCamper (or another prius friend) could drive up there and sort the issue out.

6. KatieH

KatieH New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK! I called for a tow to take it to a shop, but the tow truck operator was able to jump the Prius with a NOCO Boost (
    ). I drove it around for 40 minutes, worked great. I turned the car off when I got home, and immediately tried to turn back on, which didn't happen. This lead me to believe the battery was so drained that even with a drive around, it wasn't enough to charge it up.

I bought my own NOCO Boost and jumped the car, and drove down to the auto shop. They ran diagnostics on the car, and replaced the battery. It was, in fact, too drained to be able to hold a charge.

With the new battery, things are running smoothly! I'm going to be way more aware of not leaving internal lights on. Thanks to everyone that provided comments and help!

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes lights but we are seeing so many dead battery's now because of Covid nobody's driving like they used too.

It will kill the 12 volt battery and more importantly to your wallet $$$ the hybrid battery.

I would imagine in a 2004 the Hybrid battery has already been replaced?

Have to drive the car daily at least for 20 mins to keep both charged.

8. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yet another tidbit of BAD advice, Ed.

With a new 12 V battery, an hour once a week should be plenty.

And if you get a smart battery tender, it doesn't "need" to be driven more than once every 3 months or so.
    That is assuming that the hybrid battery is healthy. IT doesn't suffer much if any ill affect from just sitting.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "Drive around some" after a jump was my dad's advice to me, accurate for the cars my dad knew. They usually had 60 or 90 amp alternators that would be happy to dump that much into the drained battery, so that it could be reasonably recharged after "driving around some." The disadvantage was that the battery would get damaged more by the 90 amp recharge slamming into it than it had been by the deep discharge.

In contrast, I haven't seen the Gen 2 Prius charging system go much above 7 amps even into a deeply drained battery, and after peaking there it will soon end up below 5. The good news is that's a lot less hard on the battery, so it's more likely to survive a few such incidents. But it definitely isn't going to bring a 45 amp-hour battery anywhere near full charge after 40 minutes of driving around. If you do the math (and remember you need to put about 150% of capacity back in), you end up at around 15 hours of driving around.

In a Prius you don't really have to be "driving around", as it will charge the 12 volt at the same rate whatever you're doing, so long as the READY light is on*. If you have a safe place you can park and ignore the car in READY for 15 hours, that's fine. But a drained battery being still drained after a mere 40 minutes is to be expected.

*I've seen some reports that with Gen 4 that's no longer entirely true. Those may actually charge faster when you're not driving around.