1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wondering on how many 8KWh 2010 Prius??

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by banshee08, Sep 13, 2010.

1. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Will be running only one 5000W converter. Running two converters just is not very efficient due to lots of energy lost to heat. I don't have any special ventilation but will look into it.

2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Neat project! I'm interested in only one aspect, though. Can the Firestone Coil-Rites be installed on the front springs as well to provide an equitable suspension raise across the entire vehicle?

EDIT: I have to amend the above statement. The entire project is interesting but I am mainly looking to raise the suspension. Another exciting modification would be to install solar panels to supply power to the cells.

3. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    There isn't enough surface area for solar cells to supply any significant power to the batteries. That's why the Gen III with solar package only runs a ventilator fan.

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Still haven't managed to procure anymore efficiency on modern panels, eh? I do recall seeing a solar panel prototype car recently and the entire surface of the vehicle was laced with panels. Well, that was only a comment as an aside.

What I'm the most curious about is if those Coil-Rites can be used on all 4 springs as a means of raising the overall suspension. Anyone?

EDIT: Truckspring.com personnel informed me that the Firestone spring helpers won't raise the suspension, only keep it from dropping under heavy weight (as it's being used here).

5. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Banshee - I have toying with the idea of installing the converter in the wheel well, with its own in and out air flow ports. I think it's a bad idea to keep the converter cooped up inside a box with the battery, with all that heat capacity.

In your dual converter configuration, what are the output voltage for each converter ? do you turn converter on/off independently ?

Tx

6. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been thinking about how to put two converters in the tire well also and make my own ventilation for them also. Eventually I like to see if I can swap out my 8kwh of batteries for some other 180ah battery and make my own custom case to house everything. I think I can save lots of space if I can use 16 200ah thundersky or 16 180ah sky energy batteries instead of my current setup.

My old dual converter setup is independently switched. The voltages were all set to 242V on both. But currently I am running just one 5000W converter and I have to say my MPG is not fairing well compared to one 3000W converter. I will run it for an entire tank and switch back to make a comparison. I may just move back to two 3000W converter..

7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are you saying that the 5KW inverter can't keep up with a single 3KW inverter or did you mean 5KW can't keep up with 2 3KW inverter.

8. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe my 5000w converter is just not right.. There is lots of thermal shut down on my converter.. Much more off time than my single 3000w converter..enough to lower my mpg.