1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wondering...............

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Lies Angeles, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Lies Angeles

Lies Angeles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I was thinking about preserving my front bumper against people who like to play "bump and Park" in Los Angeles. I had the idea about using the front bumper tow holes and inserting a "Tow Eye" or something in them to allow others to back into them instead. Anyone use these holes for anything besides the aftermarket license plates?
    I am researching the sizes as we speak and checking brand manufacturers.....Curious as to what others have done.

Thank you for your thoughts on this matter.

2. prifahrer

prifahrer Junior Member

I would think the bumper is smooth for a reason; pedestrians/cyclists you may run into will appreciate your smooth, unaltered bumper. - ok, maybe only after they would learn it could have been worse..

3. prius621

prius621 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm more worry about the rear bumper. I know they have those things called rhino guard or something, but I don't like the fact that you have to put them back every time, especially when they're dirty.

4. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd hate to think I'd need a smooth bumper for that reason. I've yet to have pedestrians/cyclists bouncing off my bumpers.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Push Bumper or brush guard.
    upload_2014-11-26_11-41-50.jpeg
    Toyota Prius Grille & Brush Guards - JCWhitney

Of course....
    You'll have to have a sense of humor if you install one, since a brush guard is about as appropriate for a Prius as an NRA sticker...... :D

6. Lies Angeles

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona

I found a company called "End Dings" in LA that makes a clear coat film that is thick (18mil) for the bumpers. Gonna order it this week. It is 60 inches wide and the Prius needs the 7 inch in height to cover the bumper. For the front, I am going to try out to black racing Tow hooks in the bumper and see if those will provide me with a point that other cars will come into contact with first. (Trying to figure out now if the 2015 Prius is 24mm for the tow hooks.
    LA is annoying to new cars and bumpers. I'm still in the "shaking out the floor mats when I get out of the car" phase.

7. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    keep us updated about the tow hooks/

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After Careless Parker discovers that your tow hooks penetrated his plastic bumper cover what's going to prevent him from documenting the damage and filing an insurance claim against you?

9. sfprankster

sfprankster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What is a dash cam for $400 Alex? ;)

10. Lies Angeles

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    If anyone backs into my car and then tries filing a claim for damaging his car by hitting my car might be considered an idiot. Someone filing a claim against a parked object might not go so well with his insurance agency.

But then again, this is a litigious society. I will take my chances I guess. :)

Tow Hooks were meant for the cars....(hence the holes in the bumper). I am not changing the car or its design to accommodate anything that might be seen as obtrusive or unwarranted since it is the original design and function of those holes.

It's not like I am hooking it up like a "Road Warrior" car. Oil slicks will get me into trouble.

11. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    &?
    is it 24mm?
    did you find/get some hooks already?

12. Lies Angeles

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Not yet. Ordered online. Took a chance with the 24mm. It tends to be the universal size.

13. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    BUT what you propose doing with them is NOT the original intent.
    While it doesn't provide much protection, the bumper is intended to "spread out" a minor hit and absorb most of it before it gets to the frame.
    What you propose to do might eliminate the bumper protection and transfer an impact (or most of it) to a point where it will do more damage.

Consider this carefully. There might be unintended consequences.

14. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Very careless of him to bend my tie down point like that. I may have to bill him for a new one. They're great for carrying stuff on the roof. Shame about what that fool did to his own car though.

15. Lies Angeles

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Spoken like a litigator. Perhaps that poor offended person who was in the wrong can then sue Toyota for damages to his life and make 110 million?
    Hit one of my cars and then try to come after me because of their actions? Please oh please lets exchange home addresses and licenses!

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  16. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Not at all. More like a realist.
    You missed the point completely.

The point IS that doing what you propose might cause more damage to YOUR vehicle than the other guy.......and more than would occur without the modifications.

The only legality involved might be with your subsequent claim to your insurance company.

17. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I could see a person backing into the hook... and then trying to claim that they were parked first and YOU pulled into them while parking. The key would be trying assign fault. Not sure the police would do anything and neither insurance company would admit to any fault without any real proof.

Yes the hook would transfer the force directly to the frame, once the opposing bumper had received damage.

My wifes Saturn vue Green line has a 2" receiver in the back end with a ball/hitch. Not a mark on the bumper from parking lot scuffles. I have had my share of skinned up shins though :) front bumper still looks pretty good...

This time year around DC I see the german imports start sporting tow hooks for their agricultural excursions when the snow starts falling.

Robert Holt likes this.
  18. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a rock-guard, clear-coating on my car, or something similar. It doesn't look bad on the car so far, but I'm not sure how it weathers over time. It also stains easily from bug-impacts and the stains don't seem to wash off easily.

19. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would rather have my bumper scratched, than parking pawl broken in the transmission by non-softened hits

- Alex

20. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I guess it wouldn't be too funny if the hooks got stuck in the other cars bumper and when they try to pull away you come back to your bumper hanging off or across the parking lot....