1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Won't Boot - Replaced 12v battery did not fix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dan Strnad, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Dan Strnad

Dan Strnad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Slow death, at first car would move with warning lights on. Then wouldn't go at all. Lights still worked. I tried jumper cables from another car attached (correctly) directly to the 12v battery. No change. I replaced 12v battery anyway. Battery place said it was bad. With new battery same result at first. Dome light works, mfd would light up saying problem. All warning lights on. Won't shift into drive or reverse. Would shift into neutral. Then when I was giving up for the day, I pressed power button with foot on brake and only got quick flash of amber check (or something, I'm not sure) light. Then nothing. No MFD, no dash or warning lights. Windows won't roll up. Dome light still works and voltage from new 12v battery shows 12.9 under front hood at jump post. What should I check next.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her? you're probably going to have to read the trouble codes.

step harder on the brake? do the brake lights come on? check the fuses.

3. Dan Strnad

Dan Strnad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    She's got a few miles on her. 244k. I bought it as a cheap car for the kids to drive. It has a few dents. Anyway, when I press the brake pedal, I can hear the brake pump thing hum, I haven't checked to see if the lights come on yet. But if I pressed the power button without my foot on the brake, (before everything stopped) it would boot into acc mode (all warning lights still on). So I assume brake switch is functional. I cannot get any DTC codes. My reader says 0 codes set. The catalytic converter codes would always set before these problems happened and I haven't fixed that yet, so I should get those codes but instead I get 0 codes. After I installed a new 12v battery in the back and tried many times to power on, I went into the house to read the manual. When I came back, 20 min later, the MFD would no longer light with "problem" and the dash and warning lights would not come on. When I press the power button with my foot firmly on the brake I just get a quick flash of a warning light and then nothing. Rear hatch will no longer open and windows will not go up. But the dome light still works. Any Ideas?

Forgot to mention the fuses. I looked at the 120 amp at the battery and many of the other fuses under the steering wheel and under the hood. I didn't check fuses for things like wipers and heaters. I did not "see" any problems but I did not test with a meter. It is a pain crawling under the wheel. My vision is bad and I get dizzy. Anyway if you know of a particular fuse I should check or if anyone has a magic easy way to check fuses, I could use the knowledge.

#3 Dan Strnad, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    double check your battery connections, especially where the negative cable connects to the chassis.

5. Dan Strnad

Dan Strnad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I sanded the connector, but I should do a more diligent job with the bolt and other terminals. I'll try that and post the results. Possibly tonight. Thanks.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose if you test the voltage at the terminals, and at the jump point, it will tell you if the connections are good.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good observations regarding your car's symptoms.

Given the circuits which you reported have no power, check the 10A GAUGE, 7.5A ACC, and 7.5A ECU-IG fuses. "Check" means you use an ohmmeter to verify continuity.

You will need Mini VCI to read DTC logged by several of the Prius ECUs.

#7 Patrick Wong, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you do all the recall on the car?

9. Dan Strnad

Dan Strnad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Reply to jc91006. I purchased the car used so I don't know if any recalls have been performed. Which recall are you referring to? Will check fuses later today.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can call a local dealer service department and provide them with the vin number on the car, they should be able to tell you if there are open recalls.

There was a recall on the electric water pump, if this fails, everything you've experience will make sense.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  12. Dan Strnad

Dan Strnad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, will check on the recall stuff. I rented a car dolly and towed the car home yesterday. It was difficult getting the car on and off the dolly with it in park. I wish there was a way to roll the windows up. Give me a few days to play with it and I'll post the results. Dan

13. Dan Strnad

Dan Strnad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got a code B2271 so I bought a new Power Source control module from ebay. When I took the old one out the part number was different from the one I bought. Does anyone know if a 89670-47010 will work in my 2005 prius. My original part number is 89618-47011. The part I bought was suppose to work in a 05-09 prius. Think I'll try and see what happens.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The part you bought from Ebay is for 2006-2009 models. It's more expensive than the 2004-2005 version. I'm not sure if it'll work

15. Dan Strnad

Dan Strnad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The new psc didn't fix the problem. I am re ordering the correct part and see if this works.

16. Dan Strnad

Dan Strnad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Still doesn't work.
    I installed a replacement eBay Power Source Control Module (89618-47011 the correct part this time). Nothing changed. The MFD is completely dead. The Combination Meter is dead. When I hook up the 12v battery, the alarm beeps until I shut the door. I press on the brake firmly and press the power button. All I get is a quick flash of a amber engine light then nothing. All screens blank. The only codes I can get with my mini-vci is B2271 Ignition Hold Monitor which is the code that led me to change the PSC. Does anyone have any ideas about what I should check next. It seems like there might be a bad relay somewhere but that is just a guess.
    To date I have done the following:
    Replace 12v battery with fully charged new yellow optium prius battery
    Cleaned connections at battery
    Checked all fuses in front engine and driver areas
    Check fuses at Battery
    Replaced PSC

There is a spark when I hook up the 12 volt battery ground but I believe this is normal.
    Thanks, Dan

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since you've disconnected the 12v battery, it would have erased all the codes stored in the car. You would need to drive the car to get the codes to re-detect again.

Can you check the voltage on the 12v again? Are your headlights on? Even if the car didn't drive or go into Ready mode, you should not have blank combination meter and MFD.......unless they are both bad.

18. Dan Strnad

Dan Strnad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you these might be the symptoms of a bad relay? Perhaps IG1 or IG2

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are you reading the codes with?

20. Dan Strnad

Dan Strnad New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am reading the codes with an old win xp laptop running techstream 10? with a generic mini vci cable.
    The only system that responds is the power source control. All other systems say unavailable.