1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Won't receive new text messages

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Moneypenny, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Moneypenny

Moneypenny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi! I have a 2017 Prius 2 and am having trouble with the receipt of SMS messages since I got a new phone last week. I used to have a basic LG Virgin Mobile phone - no problems pairing it with the car via bluetooth and I could make/receive calls, play music, and I'd get an alert when I got an SMS message and the car would read the message to me, which was really handy.

I got a basic LG MetroPCS phone last week - no problems pairing it via bluetooth and I can make/receive calls and play music, but the SMS function is giving me trouble. I've received about 10 messages while driving and only once did I get the pop up notification and ability to read the message. The other messages come to my phone, but don't come to the car via bluetooth. Did some trouble shooting and still can't figure this out. My contacts are there, I can send a text by using voice command, the options to show SMS pop-up, etc are turned on. When I load the message list, the new messages don't show. Since I did get one message successfully, and haven't changed any settings, I'm a little stymied as to what the problem may be. Does anyone have any ideas?

I really do like that functionality and would like to be able to use it.

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does your new phone support the same Bluetooth profiles as the old one? Many times more basic phones do not support as many of the profiles and may not fully support all the features.
    Since your car was working with your old phone, I am hesitant to think it is a vehicle issue. There very few, if any Bluetooth settings that can be adjusted by the user.

RCO likes this.
  3. Moneypenny

Moneypenny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a good question. My old phone was an LG Stylo 2 and shows Bluetooth version 4.1 and the following supported profiles: Headset, hands-free, object push, advanced audio distribution, audio/video remote control, human interface device, generic audio/video distribution, generic object, serial port, message access, personal area networking, health device, and phone book access.

The new one is an LG Stylo 3 and shows Bluetooth version 4.2 and the following supported profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HID, HSP, OPP, PBAP.

Since the LG website lists the supported profiles completely differently, I'm not sure how to compare. Is it possible that it would only work intermittently? The fact that I got one message successfully is what is making it hard for me to figure out because it tells me it isn't completely 100% incompatible. Maybe just 98% incompatible on this feature.

4. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, it is a newer version of the same phone. Unusual indeed.
    I am not that well versed in Bluetooth. Perhaps @pilotgrrl or some other user here may have ideas.
    Thank you for the additional details.

RCO likes this.
  5. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @Moneypenny What Android version is on your device, and what carrier are you using? Also, are you not receiving texts period, or in the car only? That info will help me out.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks.
    Nothing is better than a dedicated support person to help.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  7. Moneypenny

Moneypenny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello!
    Android 7.0 on MetroPCS. I get texts on the phone just fine, the car just doesn't seem to see that I get them. I have the Bluetooth setup for the Prius on my phone configured to allow message access and, like I said, one message did come through the car, but just the one.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  8. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try deleting the car's link to your old phone. One of my previous cars wouldn't pull in texts (and other BlueTeeth issues), and that was the suggestion I was given, solved the problem, I have no idea why.

RCO likes this.
  9. Moneypenny

Moneypenny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the suggestion! I did remove the old phone when I set up the new phone, so the only device the car is currently paired with is the new phone.

10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you go to MESSAGES on your phone - there is a settings screen - could be something awry there.

Or ask a 7 year old?

RCO likes this.
  11. Moneypenny

Moneypenny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ha! I did ask my 13 year old who couldn't figure it out, either! I've checked every darn setting in every possible place that I can think of and can't figure out what, if anything, needs to be changed. I've about resigned myself to the fact that maybe it just isn't going to work, which is annoying because it was really handy.

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I seem to recall some settings in the car after it sees the phone about whether to transfer contacts and messaging. Did you check there?

13. Moneypenny

Moneypenny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I've got it set to do that (and even deleted my contacts and synced them again without issue). In the System Settings within the BlueTooth setup, I've got all the SMS options enabled.

14. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you checked to see if MetroPCS has released any updates for your device?

RCO likes this.
  15. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What else is connected to your Stylo 3 Plus by Bluetooth? If there is an "always on" Bluetooth device, like a smartwatch or fitness tracker, you might need to remove those profiles from the device, then reattempt connecting to your Prius.

If that's successful, re-pair the other devices one at a time.

I'll continue to give this some more thought, although my first inclination is to suspect the Android version.

#15 pilotgrrl, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  16. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If all else fails, you can start from scratch by doing a "soft re-boot" of your vehicles radio by holding in the volume button for 5 seconds. Just so you know though, when you do this it deletes EVERYTHING and takes it back to the original factory settings. So you'll have to go back through all the voice training, door lock settings, key fob settings, all of it... Be sure to also delete your Bluetooth link to the car in your phone. I'll go find the link to the video which can walk you through the process. The video shows a Corolla being used, but it's the same for all Toy's.

Sidenote: Cortana from Microsoft works flawlessly with Toyota's system. Highly recommend it if you would want to download it from the Android store. (If you try Cortona, go to it's settings and set it to read incoming text messages aloud on "Bluetooth only".) It totally bypasses Toyota's text reading/calling etc. Heck, you can even send an email, make personal notes to pick something up at the grocery store, add something to your personal calendar etc. All via Bluetooth over your cars audio system. - and if you use Cortana on your laptop/PC it'll at home or work it'll also be synced to that.

{edit} - link to video on how to do a "soft re-set" How to perform a "soft reset" of head unit if having bluetooth issues | PriusChat

RCO likes this.
  17. Moneypenny

Moneypenny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    pilptgrrl, I just checked and there are no updates available. I also have no other devices paired with the phone. I appreciate all your thoughts! It certainly is a mystery.

dubit, I may try that soft reset. I did just download Cortana, but have decided I'll explore that a different day. It (she?) is already driving me nuts asking what I want her to do for me so I have to figure out how to turn off some of that stuff.

Thanks to everyone for your help! If it weren't such a useful feature I'd just give up on it.

18. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're welcome! I do tech support for Android handsets, not LG specifically.

Pairing Nougat devices with cars has been an issue for multiple brands of both cars and phones. I can look into it further, if you'd like.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  19. Moneypenny

Moneypenny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's so kind of you! I ended up doing a chat with LG last night, and they said it was probably just a compatibility issue. I then found the Toyota list of bluetooth compatible devices and, while MetroPCS isn't listed, T-Mobile is (which is the network MetroPCS uses) and the LG Stylo 3 plus is listed as partially compatible for SMS, so I think that's the issue. Perhaps an Android update will come eventually and perhaps that will fix it, but in the meantime I think I just need to figure out a different solution. I'm going to try this Cortana business, but I can't even find an option for it to read texts at all, much less only over bluetooth so I'm not getting too far there.

I can always go old school and ask my daughter and husband to call me instead of text me when I'm driving...it was just so nice for kiddo to be able to send me a quick text that she was ready to be picked up somewhere or whatever and the car would read it to me and I wouldn't have to mess with anything else.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and suggestions, and if you have any other ideas, I'm willing to give them a tray!

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  20. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you've got Cortana installed on your phone, and it's paired to your cars audio system. Shouldn't be any problem, because it's Cortana your talking to, not your car's system. Make sure your car's system is set to download your contacts though.

Then simply tap the speak button, tell the car's system to call Cortana. (Don't worry, it'll be automatic - you'll hear a tone (that's Cortana). Then tell it what you want it to do. Such as "Send a text message to Jill's mobile. Cortana will respond - "OK, what do you want to say", she'll then repeat what you say and ask if you want to change or send. It's that simple. Like I mentioned, it's all outside of your cars system.

RCO likes this.