1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Won't receive new text messages

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Moneypenny, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Moneypenny

Moneypenny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That sounds perfect! Unfortunately, it appears Cortana and I are not going to be friends. I installed it on my phone, logged in, gave it access to everything, but don't see it in my phone contacts. I also can't seem to get past my phone lock screen without going into Cortana now, and I'm sure I could fix this but I've decided not to use up my limited patience on this!

I thought having my texts read through Ok Google might work since I can get OK Google to talk to me through the bluetooth in the car, but for some reason OK Google doesn't "see" all my texts. It's stuck on one my husband sent me last night even though he's sent me at least 20 more since then as we test this out.

I'm beginning to think it's something goofy with my phone since I also can't get any third party apps (e.g. DriveSafe.ly, Read Text 2me, etc) to work. (Or maybe it's just my own stupidity but I want to pretend it isn't that.)

RCO likes this.
  2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, something's up for sure and I don't blame you for giving up to save what little patience is left. Btw - you wouldn't see Cortana in your contacts, but she's there. I'm assuming her number is written somewhere in her code.

Sorry your having problems though. I've set up probably a dozen people with her at work and at the dealership when I swing by. Both on Android and IPhone. Never had an issue and has functioned flawlessly.

3. Moneypenny

Moneypenny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just a quick update in case anyone else is having this issue...I think the problem is the stock messaging app on the phone. I don't understand it because it was the same app on my LG Stylo 2 that worked just fine, but I guess I don't have to understand it. I downloaded Android Messages and now I'm getting the texts through my car as I expect. Google Assistant can also now "see" the messages. I think Android Messages is kind of crappy, but at least this tells me that a 3rd party text app should work so I'm off to find one I prefer. Thanks again to everyone for their help and ideas!

4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And thank you for your solution feedback.(y)

pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You could try another text messaging program. Sometimes the stock messaging program - if it's not Android Messaging - works better with the devices I support.

I must admit I've had no issues with an LG V30 in my 2016 Prius 3 with ATP, which has the navigation system. My Entune has updated itself twice, but I don't know what version it's on. I could check later.

The first thing I did when I had a spare minute was check the compatibility list using T-Mobile, so I think you got somebody who was inexperienced, or didn't know about the Metro PCS/T-Mobile connection.

I also checked T-Mo's support site, since Metro doesn't have one. Nothing there.

MetroPCS vs T-Mobile shouldn't cause a real issue, unless you've used so much data that you've gotten deprioritized. Unlimited isn't really unlimited.

In an area where any T-Mobile towers are congested, T-Mobile customers get priority over T-Mo customers who are deprioritized for for using over 50GB (<2%). Metro customers are 3rd in line, followed by Metro customers who are deprioritized.

I would only suspect a carrier issue if you were using a 2 bit MVNO (mobile virtual network operator, a company that buys bulk airtime from a major carrier and has no facilities of their own) like Mint SIM, which would be behind Metro in terms of prioritization.

Unlimited isn't really unlimited, unless you have Binge On/Music Freedom or certain T-Mobile One options. I'm not sure if Metro has similar options or if Metro customers always get capped.

The device is compatible, and I can't imagine Metro would have disabled any of the Bluetooth features. Often, Metro gets phones like the Stylo 3 Plus before T-Mo and sells them as exclusives for a while to see how they do, then T-Mo picks them up as budget devices. The Stylo 3 Plus is a nice phone, I know people who used them to replace recalled Note 7s and liked them very well.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Moneypenny

Moneypenny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks pilotgrrl!

I downloaded Textra for messaging and all seems to be working well, so I think I'll stick with that. Since I've got it working, I don't really need to figure out what the problem was, except for the fact that I want to know what the problem was!

The stock messaging app worked fine in that I would get texts right away on my phone, but I couldn't get texts through the Bluetooth connection in the car, Cortana couldn't find them, Google Assistant couldn't find them, etc. It was only after all those things that I thought to try a different messaging app. I don't think I was deprioritized because I hardly use any data and I did get the texts on my phone right away, but then nothing on the car (and I spent way too long sitting in my car in the garage this weekend trying all this stuff out).

I quite like the phone, it's just this one thing with the texts that's weird. My husband and daughter have the same phone so I briefly thought about connecting their phones to the car's Bluetooth to see how they worked, but I was tired of sitting in the car by that point! ;)

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  7. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I think the last time I sent a text message was when I first got my car to test it out and it worked fine using the Siri option. I use WhatsApp for all my messages, but if I try that I get an audio message saying I have to unlock my iPhone and 'I don't recommend doing that whilst driving'

I tried the Cortana option as someone suggested above but haven't managed to get it working.

When I do get a text it comes up on my media screen but it doesn't announce it or read it which from reading above it should do? I have a similar thing if I touch a traffic icon on the Sat Nav screen, sometimes it will talk, other times I have to press the speaker icon to get it to talk.... weird!

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I get a ping from my phone when a text or email comes in and the screen shows a few words of text to read.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  9. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My pleasure, Moneypenny!

Sorry I can't help Apple users, I have no experience with those devices. That OS confounds me.

Harters and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I am wondering if mine doesnt do it becuase I have an Apple Watch which receives the notifications. I guess I could try it without my watch present to see if it makes any difference.

RCO likes this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. Don't know about that. My Android (7) picks up the message and pings, obviously, Hwawei watch vibrates and the message appears on the main screen soon after. It's a few words first, then you choose whether to read or dismiss via touchscreen. There me at be a simpler method of doing it, but I've never tried.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  12. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Some Android phones come with messaging apps the manufacturer has created.

These seem to be incompatible with car systems. Android Messaging works fine, as do other standards-based apps. I've used Handcent, Moneypenny has used Textra.

Any app that requires the permission "prevent device from sleeping" is going to have issues. Most streaming apps need that permission. It looks like WhatsApp does, too. That's easy to fix on an Android device, not sure you can do it on an Apple phone.

There are Android apps that you can use to back up your SMS messages, if you'd like. Your carrier does save then for a certain length of time, but they may or may not send then back to your device. They come in handy if you want to try out new SMS apps or get a new device.

Perhaps that's something you could try if you're willing to experiment with another SMS app, @Harters.

RCO likes this.
  13. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I will have to have a think on that :)

pilotgrrl likes this.
  14. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've got a Mate 9, but I've never paired it with my Prius. I haven't got a smartwatch, though.

Do you use Huawei's messaging app or a different one? Or, are you pairing the phone to the watch and the watch to the Prius?

I've got to run errands, I'll bring the Mate & pair it, see what happens if I set the default messaging app to something other than Android Messaging m

RCO likes this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's what I like!

Service with a smile!;)

pilotgrrl likes this.
  16. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use the P9's Google messaging service and have linked phone to car Bluetooth.