1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Won't Shift into Gear?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sam89, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Sam89

Sam89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We've had our 2011 used Prius for a few months now and it's been a dream, until yesterday when I moved it down the driveway a bit. Now it starts up as normal, but refuses to be put into D or R, only N. I can't hear the petrol engine start up either. Wondered if it was the 12v battery but charging it did not seem the help. "Battery" symbol, "(!)" symbol, and "steering wheel+(!)" symbol red warning lights are showing on the dash. Any help or suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need mini vci to read the trouble codes or a dealer. but start with a 12v load test free at an auto parts store

3. Sam89

Sam89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheers for the reply, just wondered if I was doing something stupid as I haven't had it for long. Will get it looked at.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only thing i can think of is the brake pedal stop light switch. if you don't press hard enough, or the switch needs adjustment, the car won't make ready, just acc, which doesn't allow putting into gear.
    you can tell if the ready light comes on or not.

5. Sam89

Sam89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. I can't see a ready light come on, but as its a Japanese import I wonder if it even has one?

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    here, the word ready lights up on the lower left of the dash readout. do you have a manual?

do your brake lights come on when you press the brake pedal?