1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Won't start after replacing coolant control valve

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by StephanieInTime, Dec 19, 2021.

1. StephanieInTime

StephanieInTime New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just attempted to replace the coolant control flow valve myself. It's all more difficult than ot looks and I lost more coolant than I expected, but I thought it went ok. But now it won't start. Can't get the car into maintenance mode to run the engine and circulate the coolant and bleed the air out. All the dash lights come on but the actually-on with the speedometer number won't work.

Anybody know what might have gone wrong? Any reason it might be in the failsafe mode?

Thanks

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. check 12v battery to make sure it's charged.
    2. Did you plug in the connector on the valve?
    3. Did you reconnect everything you removed?

3. StephanieInTime

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Ill check the battery tomorrow; thanks that's a good idea. I had it disconnected while I was working on it though, so I think that means there's less of a chance I drained it?

2. I definitely plugged in the connector. Triple checked it bc I didn't get as satisfying of a click as I wanted. One thing I'm worried about is if it got dirty/ got some coolant on it while I was installing the new one. Do you know if the connector is vulnerable to that?

3. I think so! But of course I keep going over it in my head to see if forgot about anything

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you have any way of reading the trouble codes, or finding a buddy who can read them, or borrowing a tool from an auto parts place to read them?

We can give lots of other suggestion in the "if you haven't got any way to find the trouble codes, well, umm, check this, this, and this" vein, but that tends to be the slower and more frustrating way to tackle a problem.

5. StephanieInTime

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do have a code reader thing. It wasn't showing any codes.

Update: I took the hybrid battery safety out and in again, to make sure it was in correctly. I think I didn't have it pushed down all the way. Still, it didnt work the first time I tried after fixing that, but it did the second time.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If that's what was holding things up, then the code you had was P0A0D.

That's a code from the hybrid-vehicle ECU, which a lot of generic code reader things don't know exists, so won't show codes from.

So it's useful to make sure you have a code reader thing that can get the codes from all the computers in a Prius. Then when you find something not working, you just read the codes, and if it comes up P0A0D, for example, you say "oh! I'll go jiggle that safety plug then", and you're in business.

7. StephanieInTime

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds like exactly what I need. Do you have a recommendation for a good code reader for Priuses? Thanks everyone!