1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Won't start after running out of gas..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sel1k1, Aug 2, 2024 at 7:23 PM.

1. sel1k1

sel1k1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Car ran out of gas, had about half cup left in emergency container, started up, made it to gas station filled half tank, drove away immediately to highway then 5 miles later car shuts down.

while waiting for tow truck, attempted to disconnect clip from what I think is the 12v battery, no tool req, disconnected hybrid orange handle thing, waited over 10 mins, nothing, blank boxes, not go into any gear, no combustion engine.

lights not dim ever. jump starts did not work. had it towed to Toyota, while waiting I replaced a fuse with included spare, pic included(from YouTube, same fuse) and now the cluster comes on, climate control comes on but no compressor.

Leaving it at Toyota again, at least now it goes into neutral after replacing the one fuse.

Attached Files:

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unrelated to your out-of-fuel event (IMO), I believe your ICWP (inverter coolant water pump) has destructively failed.

See this post to get details of how to get going (temporarily) from this until you can replace the ICWP.