1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Won't start - No error codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Doc Willie, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I took the Zheng Heng to northwestern Massachusetts, three hours away to have a 2 KW inverter installed - so I could use the Prius as a house generator in case of a power failure. Helped the guy do the install, only when we were done, that car would not start. The 12V battery is old and weak, but even with a charger on it, and both the 12V and high voltage systems reading the correct voltages it would not start. Hooked into the OBD, and it kicked out NO error codes. Spent 3 hours trouble shooting, undoing our install, re-booting, calling Prius experts on the phone, and still could not get it started.

Any ideas?

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What did you use to read fault codes? You need techstream to get all fault codes out. Can you get to ig-on (power button twice without brake)? What happens when you try to start it (go to ready)? Did you just try disconnecting 12V battery for 10min?

Is it 12V or HV powered inverter?

3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is why I think its a bad idea.

4. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Try reseating the orange interlock on the HV battery. Use more force and make sure it is clicked in all the way...

5. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It was a HV inverter. We uninstalled it to no effect. Also did the complete 12 V battery disconnect, and reseating the interlock. Car has been towed to a place with the latest Techstream, but have not heard from them for several days.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe didn't fold lock and slide the interlock switch properly, it's counterintuitive. or maybe a bad 12v with a short.

7. Doc Willie

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Follow-up: The problem had nothing to do with either the inverter install or the 12 V battery (which I replaced anyhow; it was weak, and it was time). turns our that one of the three HV relays coming out of the HV battery had corroded contacts, and had to be replaced, and an associated resistor (fuse) was burnt out. Items replaced, inverter installed. and new 12V Optima in place. All is well.

ftl likes this.
  8. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    congrats on getting warp drive back online. I wish the dragon lady would let me paint our '05 like that...