1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Won't start shift lever frozen

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by West Marion, May 16, 2020.

1. West Marion

West Marion New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Won't start. Starter battery fine. Clicking noise under hood. Shift lever not working. Stuck in garage. Help! Can it be pulled backwards out of garage so the tow truck can load it?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    we never accept 'starter battery fine' here, without data

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sometimes even with data it's not acceptable:p.

As for getting it towed, I'd get out the wheel dollies and shift it around;).

They can be bought at Harbor Freight for cheap:).

Good luck and keep us posted(y).

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's a manual release for the shift lever so you can get it to Neutral and move the car.

Look on the plastic cover under the steering column. There's a little piece that can be popped out. It's near the slot that the tilt-adjust clamp lever sticks out through.

The 'official' way to shift out of park is to pop out that little plastic piece, and up above it you find a little lever you can push, that makes the shift lever movable.

But that little plastic piece is challenging to pop out without leaving scratches or marks.

I found if I just moved the tilt-adjust clamp lever out of the way and stuck my pinky up through its slot, I could feel around in there for the little lever and do it that way.

West Marion likes this.