1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wont start worried woes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kayla S Quinn, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Kayla S Quinn

Kayla S Quinn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2005 prius. I got her early February. She needed some suspension work. Took two weeks to complete. The car would not start. Went and spent 200 bucks i didnt have in a brand new 12v AGM battery. The hazards pop on and flash. Ahh the reason for the drain. Never turned off the hazards when rolling into the shop. Alright. Now go to start it. Notice parking break on, release parking break. Press foot in break. Go to push start the whip. Annnnndddd notta. Nothing. Try again pressing a bit firmer. Check engine and park light flicker real quick... then again.... Notta. Im at a loss. I cant find anything about this online or in the forums. Please helppppl. Im such a newbie to hybrid. I wanna love her with all my heart but all shes been giving me is hell. :(

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

First check the connections for the new 12v, and inspect the negative ground strap for rust/corrosion were it attaches to the body

Then use a voltmeter and check the voltage at the jumper points under the hood, what does the 12v read there?

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many miles on the car?

Do you know anyone who owns a voltmeter and can help you?

If it’s not starting it should throw a big red triangle on the dash if not the new 12 volt battery is not working.

4. Kayla S Quinn

Kayla S Quinn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    5 the car has 177 K miles on it. The battery is placed around 150k miles. The 12-volt battery is brand new. I figured out the issue. It was a blown fusible Link in the main fuse box by the positive charge hookup. Under the hood. My brother thought he was a genius and took a penny and put it between the two blown fuse boxes places blown in the fuse box anyway on the plate thing not really sure exactly what it's called I think it's the fusible link. I'm extremely new to the Prius. Well upon doing so the car started right up, but then suddenly all of these lights sho p popped up

SFO likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you will need to have the trouble codes read

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can you post photos of the fuse box, what you found there, and what your brother did?

There are several different links in that fusible assembly, if I'm thinking of what you're thinking of. It would be interesting to see which was blown. There's usually a reason it blew.

One of the common reasons we see blowage there is a jump start gone wrong. Sometimes a small number of other fuses will be collateral damage; not exactly the same effects every time. We have other threads like this one illustrating how to sort through those situations, if need be.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the fusible link was blown due to a reverse polarity jump start attempt, my experience is there are likely at least two other fuses blown in the underhood fuse box. Check them all.

8. Kayla S Quinn

Kayla S Quinn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okayy guys so i was able to slap a code reader in there. And it tells me P2118 pops up twice. Thats the inky code tho. Im assuming it has to be another blown fuse some place or the link he tried to repair wasnt soddered correctly. Ideally I would personally like to just replace the entire box they're the one that I already posted in the pictures... But I'm not really sure exactly what that Parts called or how to find one

9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Raytheeagle likes this.