1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Woohoo! I'm in the club!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by fattymoocow, Mar 31, 2012.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No, that is not red-lining the engine. It merely means you are no longer in the ECO/mpg friendly zone. The prius is completely drive by wire (computer controlled) as far as the throttle goes so you can't really do anything bad to it.

Try this: next time the engine is running while you are in Park, floor it and hold it there for a few seconds. Then you'll understand. :rockon:

2. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Haha, 93 is pretty awesome. How in the world did you get that?? Are you driving on like super flat roads and in the parking lot? Lol. Jk. Congrats on your new car too!

Oh yeah, I realized that a few days ago. I was too optimistic thinking that was my "lifetime" MPG. I set up a Fuelly account but I haven't had my first fill up yet so there's no data so far. I'm kind of excited to fill up just so I can add some data to my Fuelly account. I'm not going to let myself get excited over filling gas anymore though, seems counterintuitive haha.

I'll try this but it kind of seems like a scary thing to do. Haha. Should I be parked away from a curb when I do this? I'm so glad the Prius is set up in such a driver friendly way that you'd have to go out of your way to mess it up. Makes me feel a lot better about just driving normally and not worrying about it. Man but some people like to tail me after a light turns green and I'm like moving along sluggishly to accelerate up to speed. I stare at these drivers in my rear view mirror and hope they will just pass me lol. This happened this morning.

3. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had originally ordered for my Droid X, but the next day I upgraded to the Galaxy Nexus. I called ProClip and they were able to switch it out right before shipping. The only down side is the Nexus clip is for portrait mode and I preferred the landscape style of the Droid X. Also the port for the power plug on the phone is right on the bottom so I couldn't mount it closer otherwise the wire would block the nav screen. No big deal, it's mounted and is super secure and functional and within reach. The style numbers are 854354 (center mount) and 511331 (Nexus mount). Very good quality, easy to install. (I'll post the pics in the next post just in case I mess it up and need to repost so I don't have to retype all this) No interference with any buttons/controls, not even the AC vent slider; all fully within reach without issue.

Also since the album art and artist/song info for Nexus isn't compatible with the Prius system (it was with the Droid X, just not the Nexus) I can have Poweramp open on the phone while the music streams over bluetooth and still use the nav map. ;)

4. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here's the pics.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No, you don't have to take any precautions but do so if it makes you feel better; just remember to put in PARK.

I don't recommend this to the general audience but at a stop I've even floored it while in Drive with my left foot on the brake. Result? No drama, engine rev's up a bit and recharges the battery or if the battery is full, it won't even start; just silence. :rockon:

6. Myself248

Myself248 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was a 4-mile trip, there was nobody else on the road so I was free to accelerate as gently as I wanted, and I did the last mile on battery and inertia. It was cheating; the battery was higher when I started than when I finished, and I'm sure it replenished some of that during warmup the following morning. Best I've gotten in an "honest" trip, equal battery at start and end, is 56 on the way home from work today (18 miles).

Congrats on your car and thanks for starting a thread for all of our little happy-dance greetings. :) It's hard to lose an old friend, but easier when the replacement has so many buttons!

Yeah, I'm gonna sit down at i3detroit's vinyl-cutter tonight and make one of these bumper stickers:
    PriusChat Forums - View Profile: Rybold

We'll see if tomorrow's rearview revue is laughing instead of glowering...

7. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you did the reading, you were getting into the hybrid mindset! Adopting good smooth driving habits like you mentioned comes from being in that hybrid mindset.

You can hypermile any vehicle. You're not going to hypermile a superduty truck to get 55 MPG, but you'll stretch an MPG or two or three out of it if you try. Our work van, Chevy Express with 5.3L V8 all wheel drive, had an AVG MPG readout. Whenever it was my turn to drive it (usually a 5 day stint, each time), I always reset the display. At reset, it indicated 17 to around 18 MPG, I would leave it at 21 to 22 MPG. Driving style. I've been a "hypermiler" for ever. Never liked getting poor MPGs and never liked not getting the most out of every drop of fuel.

Practice and experiece makes you better at almost any skill... especially when it's combined with the reading and learning part. A Prius has great fuel saving capabilities that can be optimized by those who learn the proper techniques in forums like this one. I helps us all get the most our of our Prii sooner. Nothing wrong with that "eco band", it's saving you $$.:)

8. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And if you don't have NAVI unit you can allways go this way :)

[​IMG]

It's mounted on a proclip ProClip Toyota Prius 2011 854354 | Brodit
    + dedicated clip for Becker.

Power cable can be easly routed to the side of steering column and then down to power outlet.

9. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Haha that's hilarious! But congrats on your 93 mpg! Haha, I'll have to try that trick to get my MPGs up. ;) Love the bumper sticker! Have you gotten it done?

Also, this morning on my normal commute, I normally average 57ish mpg's but this morning I only averaged 49.7mpg and I told my bf that and he started laughing and said, "You're sad that you're getting 49mpg when I will NEVER see that sort of average in my car, you're so used to seeing better mpg numbers now that 49mpg seems horrible to you! Haha."

Guess I have high expectations ;) Plus I know where all of my sweet glide spots are on my commute to and from work and this morning people kept pressing their brakes where I normally glide so it really hurt my mpgs!

10. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So.. I just got my car tinted!!! 35% all around! I will post pictures tomorrow after it gets washed. I loooooooove it! It's even prettier now! <3

11. mathan

mathan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrts!!

12. BornPriiOrDie

BornPriiOrDie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks so much-the photos are helpful!

13. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pics of my new tints! 35% on all but windshield.

14. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Car looks great. I got mine yesterday! (Mechanicsville Toyota). It is the same as yours, except for your new tinting. Let me know how you like it after a few days. Where did you get it done?

15. Hommerun

Hommerun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Con:car:gratulations

1 person likes this.
  16. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Big Steve! Congratulations on your new car!! Are you loving it yet?? I went to the same guy who did my boyfriend's BMW about three years ago and it still looks great! He doesn't have a dedicated shop but he has privileges to work out of many of the dealerships. His business is called Magic Tints. He's the go-to guy for BMW when a customer wants tints done so that's how we initially got a hold of him. He's super nice and does an AWESOME job! He even offers lifetime warranty on the tints (if they bubble up or something abnormal and NOT accidentally done like a scratch or something). I paid $250 for all 9 windows. It took about three hours, I just waited it out and watched TV shows on my phone ;) it wasn't too bad. You can reach him at 804-304-tint. Let him know if you decide to go to him! He really does a great great job. Let him know Lynn sent you! Haha. =). Oh there were hardly any bubbles when he showed me the car.. and the few bubbles that were there will go away by tomorrow he said. So far I LOVE IT! I am really sensitive to the sun (had LASIK recently) and it has helped so much!