1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Work commute doubling...keep the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by stoby9, Aug 3, 2016.

1. stoby9

stoby9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I drive my 2014 Prius 48 miles (round trip) to commute to work. This puts me right around 15K miles a year when you include occasional weekend driving with the family. I'm currently at 34K trouble free miles. In a few months my office is moving and my round trip will increase to 108 miles per day. This will put me more in the range of 28K miles a year. FWIW, this drive will largely be on 80 and 85 mph toll roads so I presume my 52mpg average will be a thing of the past. It's possible we'll move or I'll change jobs, but for now I'm trying to consider my options assuming neither of those things happen.

The way I can see it I have a couple of primary options:

1) Continue to drive the Prius for the next 4 to 5 years and hopefully sell it before the battery dies. Maybe I'd get $5K for it and be looking at 20K in depreciation over the 6-7 years of ownership. For comparison, my previous vehicle was a Civic which only depreciated 7.5K over 7 years (only 100K miles though).

2) Shift the Prius to my wife who's in a 2004 vehicle that we plan to replace soon anyway and I would get a less expensive fuel efficient, though not hybrid, vehicle (not ruling out pre-owned) which would depreciate far less.

I guess a major question I have is whether the HV battery life is primarily driven by age or mileage. If it's age then the 2nd option makes less sense. Anyway, I figure there are other high mileage commuters here who've already had to go through this thought process and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1) your battery is warrantied for 8 years/100,000 miles in TX, some other states 10/150,000, so you have at least 66,000 worry free miles. Even after that, the batteries are very reliable, as they have to be to not bankrupt Toyota with a 10/150,000 warranty.

2) In TX, your major determinant will be heat. Use A/C, it not only keeps you cool, it keeps the battery cool. Parking in shade/indoors is good. If you are descending a long downhill in the heat, use B mode from the top, that adds less heat to the battery. The Prius has windoews tinted to be 50 state compliant, in Texas you can tint darker Tint Laws

3) When you reach 250,000 miles and the battery does die, consider a used battery out of a Prius that was totaled in a head on collision.

http://hiwaay.net/%7Ebzwilson/prius/pri_2010_800.jpg

#2 JimboPalmer, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  3. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Your mileage goes *up* the longer your commute, as the warm-up time becomes a smaller percentage of your ride. An '14 Prius with 34K is a perfect car for a long commute. Also, the Prius is an extremely efficient real-world highway car. The hybrid system does a great job of keeping the engine in its most efficient sweet spot on the highway - something most people don't realize. There isn't a more efficient car on the road (other than a gen-4 Prius!) for a long commute at any speed - doesn't matter if it's 45 or 85 MPH.

bisco and Montgomery like this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know.
    Simplistically, you own a 2 year old Prius (IMO practically new) and your driving demands are going to increase.

I think it takes a lot of juggling to create a scenario where the idea of NOT keeping the Prius given those parameters makes sense.

Keep The Prius, and enjoy the efficiency when your round trip increases.

Worry about the battery failing, if and when it fails. And any way you cut it, you're a significant distance from that reality being a concern.

The depreciation of ANY vehicle, including the Prius, is the depreciation.
    You either take that hit, with the benefit of long ownership and eventually no car payments...if you own it.
    Or you are in a constant cycle of early trade in or sale, and constant car payment expense.

zak.kapoor, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  5. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This decision isn't merely a financial one, otherwise there are much cheaper ways to accomplish the commute. You could carpool, or sell the Prius and buy a used Toyota Corolla.

The Prius has one of the most aerodynamic shapes, which matters a lot more at 85 MPH speeds than other factors. No car can achieve their highway rated MPG at such high speeds.

I'd try to carpool if possible, while looking into either a closer job, or moving closer to where I worked. Commuting sucks not only because of the expense of traveling, but in the unpaid driving time.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all of the above. keep the prius, and keep driving it yourself. anything else will cost you.

7. stoby9

stoby9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks all for the feedback. I've run a bunch of numbers and I probably could save a little money by putting my wife in the Prius (not her favorite option) and getting a slightly less expensive non hybrid car, but we're talking about $250 a year. And that assumes gas prices stay where they are...which they probably won't.

It looks like continuing to drive the Prius will make the most sense all the way around.

bisco likes this.
  8. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You should be driving the more efficient vehicle if you're putting in more miles than the wife. Battery longevity has little to do with use, and more to do with temperature and age. It's likely you will sell the vehicle long before it suffers any battery problems.

My wife and I alternate between the Prius and Acura depending on who needs to travel furthest that day, and who has access to plug in at the end of the day. I even taught her how to drive stick so she could drive all our vehicles.

She prefers the Prius, but that's because Portland traffic is a bear in a manual transmission. I prefer the TSX, although I'll be selling it for a used Leaf once the price completely falls out on 'em. Electricity here is cheap, even compared to cheap gas now. How are your rates in TX?

#8 Redpoint5, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is the bit responders, myself included, are not understanding.

If you're going to be putting on a lot of miles, use the Prius. Deal with battery issues or whatever when and if they arise.

The majority of members here seem to be high usage. My wife and I, both retired, are at the other end of the spectrum, but it's working for us too, just hoping it'll last us at least a decade. :)

10. ZeroTX

ZeroTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    48 mile round trip is hardly a super long commute. I've commuted that far for most of my career. Yes, it's nicer to be closer to home, but that's not an insane commute. The Prius is the perfect car for it. Keep it, drive it.

11. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Read beyond the first sentence. He goes on to say his commute will increase to 108 miles round trip, and 28,000 miles per year. Racking up miles that quickly will rapidly depreciate the newer vehicle, which is one of the OP's main concerns.

From a financial standpoint, if a person intended to sell the Prius in just a couple years or so, then it makes sense to drive an older economy vehicle to put the commuting miles on.

I think it would be better to hold on to the Prius longer term, and just put the miles on it. Even better would be to move closer to work, or work closer to home.

Spending lots of time commuting is no way to live in the long run. A 90 minute commute (45 minutes each way) is about 15 full days out of every year. You have to factor in commuting time into your hourly wage or salary, because you wouldn't be spending that time on the road if it weren't for the need to commute to work.

12. ZeroTX

ZeroTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Been there, done that with a 52 mile each way (104 mile) commute for two years... No matter how I did the math, it didn't make financial sense to sell my existing car and get another one. Your math may be different, but the psychological factor doesn't trump the financial one. That said, cars are for driving and 108 miles a day is a long time to spend in a car. You wouldn't want to be in an old beater junkbox.

13. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think carpooling is a great idea to offset the cost / added wear and tear of your car. There must be other people you work with in a similar situation (commute wise). You should find as many as you can that want to share the burden of the longer drive. Your average monthly miles may not increase or could even possibly decrease if you find a few people that can rotate driving.

14. Dreamerzcc

Dreamerzcc Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use my car for work and got it 7/15/2016, since then I have put 3844 miles on it. I am on target to put 36k miles in one year. I say keep it but thats just me