1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Working on Hymotion Battery Packs, possible or not advised?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by rwyckoff, Oct 31, 2012.

1. rwyckoff

rwyckoff Phev's Plus Home Solar power1

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Hymotion pack is only charging 3.6kwhr for a full charge after about 900 full equivalent charges. I think I started out at 4.95kwhr. Can a technically trained Tek. dive into these packs and replace bad cells, or is it a real hassle, and/or too dangerous. And at what point would you recommend diving in on a pack. I'm assuming that the reduced charge is caused by some cells losing their capacity, or the whole pack needs to be re-leveled. I only see a few minutes at around 30watts, at the end of the charge cycle, which I assume is cell leveling attempts. After that I only see around 3 watts being used. Thanks-

Ron W.​

2. wb9k

wb9k 09 Gen II Prius w Hymotion Plug-In Batt

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Ron,

There are a couple of possible causes for what you are experiencing. One is loss of cell capacity. It seems unlikely to me that this is your problem, but I can't rule it out completely at this point. What I think is more likely is that you have a cell or two that has higher self-discharge than most of the rest of the pack. There are a some simple ways of figuring out which condition you may have.

Balance after pack stops charging. The balancing algorithm basically charges the pack at full blast until any single cell hits 3.6V. If there is severe imbalance, balancers may be turned on during this period, but A123's discharge curve is so flat in the middle, that the difference in SOC doesn't usually become apparent until you get to the tails of the curve. Once there, the BMS cuts back charge current (in a couple stages, like you are seeing) so that other cells can continue to charge while the high cell can be bled off to a steady max of about 3.62V. The balance resistors only draw about 300 mA, so you can see that once any cell hits 100% it can be a long time before any stragglers catch up (this is the bottleneck when you are seeing ~3 W consumption). Problem is, if the balance target is not achieved within a certain amount of time (I'm not sure how long exactly, but I think ~8 hours is the max for a full charge cycle) the pack gives up and shuts down. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO TO KEEP BALANCING FURTHER IS UNPLUG AND RE-PLUG THE PACK AFTER IT HAS STOPPED CHARGING. You could set up the pack with a timer to do this automatically. Remember that this is a slow process, but is almost surely faster than any self-discharge you may have happening so it's not hopeless. If imbalance is your problem, this technique should gradually reverse the problem. Depending on how imbalanced you may be and how often you are re-plugging your pack, full recovery could take days to weeks so be patient.

If you have this condition, it will get worse if the pack goes unused for very long. We have a Hymotion Prius in the office, and I have driven it probably more than anyone else for the last year and a half. It sat idle for about three weeks once, and I noticed that the top capacity bar on the display wasn't lasting as long as it had been. After using the technique described above, the problem resolved itself fully after about a week. The pack in my own car came from a crate of scrap test packs. The pack had been sitting in storage for probably a couple of years and there were two cells that were well below the rest. I manually balanced them before attempting to let the pack do it automatically. It would have taken weeks to balance just by plugging the pack in. I still use the re-plug technique on that pack a couple times a week to keep it well-balanced. I haven't measured, but based on how fast that top bar goes away, I believe I've seen the apparent capacity fade after a week or two if I don't do this.

As far as trying to fix one of these packs yourself, I really can't recommend it. The biggest problem (in the past, anyway) is that A123 doesn't know who you are or what your skills are, so they have no way of being sure you won't kill yourself trying anything inside there--and the potential definitely exists. Even if you have the knowledge to pull off a repair safely, you surely don't have the tools. Maybe you can figure out where to buy a replacement BMS, for example, but you probably don't have the firmware to flash into it, so it's useless. You probably don't know what to torque everything inside to either, and this is absolutely critical in any battery pack, especially where there is HV present. An undertorqued HV connection can be disastrous, as you are surely aware. Individual cell replacement is impossible in these packs due to the module design. The smallest replaceable block is a 1/2 module which contains 44 26650 cells.

The downside of all this is that servicing a pack involves significant expense and hassle for the user because the pack has to be removed and shipped (as Class 9 hazmat, no less, which is ridiculous, but that's another discussion). But here's the thing--even if the Green Chip dealers could have been trained to repair the packs, how many do you think would be willing to shell out $125,000 for the Aerovironment ABC-150 they would need to re-test the pack where they're done with their repair? Then add another $10,000+ to get it installed and set up with a PC to control it. That's a lot of coin to service a handful of battery packs.

Anyway, if the re-plug trick doesn't work, you probably are seeing loss of capacity, but with only 900 charge cycles this seems highly unlikely--at least to the extent you describe. Have you noticed decreased mileage from the pack? How much?

Hopefully this will help some folks here get more, better use of their aging hymotion batteries. Please do try this out and let me know how it goes for you.

cwerdna likes this.
  3. rwyckoff

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. Now that I know that when the pack is balancing at the 3W rate I can guess what is causing my problem. I learned to keep the car plugged in as long as possible last year, but there are long periods where I'm useing the car before the pack gets fully charged, especially during the weekends. And during the week, there are several days where the same thing is happening. This weekend I will not use the car, keep it plugged in, and cycle the plug every eight hours and see if the full charge useage goes up any. Then I'll report! Thanks again-

Ron W.

Forgot to answer your question about how many miles I get per charge. Max mileage has gone down from 25 to under 20. I have a route near my house that has few stop signs that I tool around at 40mph without the engine running as much as possible.

4. wb9k

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Interesting. I can see how steady use without getting to top of charge on a regular basis could look the same to the pack as just being idle for a long period of time. In your case I would definitely use a timer with your charge setup at home. After thinking a bit more, I would set it to run 6 hours on, 10-30 minutes off (whatever the resolution of your timer will allow, but at least ten minutes off), then 6 hours on again. Let it do this every night. It will probably take several days to weeks for you to balance yourself back out of the hole but you should see slow, steady improvement until your capacity starts to look more like what you started with. Once there, back off the re-plugging to the point where it's just enough to keep you there. This will give you the best balance possible between calendar life and capacity/performance.

Plug-ins should be plugged in whenever possible, IMO. With present balancing schemes being what they generally are, this turns out to be critical. People who can't be bothered to plug in their plug-in cars (believe it or not, these folks actually exist) are usually disappointed in the result.

Good luck!

[email protected] likes this.
  5. rwyckoff

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius got left at home during the holiday trip to see the kids. I set up a timer and set the interval to 30 min off and 4 hours on, and this went on for 10 straight days. The total charge after 10 days was 6.16kwhr. After doing a couple of full discharges and charges the amount of charge was the same as before, about 3.5kwhr and after another 2 weeks (still using the timer) down to about 3.4kwhr. So it's not looking to good for the life of this Hymotion pack. Also I was layed of work just before the holidays so the load leveling time has gone up another 10 hours a day with no positive effect.

6. wb9k

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi again,

Sorry to hear about your job and the lack of success with the pack. At this point, it seems most likely to me that you have some cells in the pack that are fading faster than normal. You're probably not in a place right now where you want to fix that right away. You can continue to use the pack with no consequences to the remaining healthy cells and may want to consider replacing the bad module(s) at some point. If/when that option interests you, this could make a good test case for a field replacement. Is there a Green Chip dealer near you?

dave77 and [email protected] like this.
  7. rwyckoff

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't seem to scare up a "Green Chip Dealer" listing through Google or Yahoo, but I have a bad feeling that there are no GCD's in the west. Help anyone? Tucson AZ. 85622

8. wb9k

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Ron,

It will be perhaps another week or two before anyone is ready to get into defining details of a potential service program for Hymotion. I consider your case to be one in which there may be an opportunity to allow owners or local repair shops to service a pack without dealing with the hassle of shipping the pack to Holland. Sybesma's would still be the source for parts.

For better or worse, the short-term fate of A123 will be sealed some time next week. Hopefully at that point, people can start talking about the things they need to talk about for it to make sense to begin fleshing out details of how this program might work. I believe you previously expressed an interest in working on your pack yourself, yes? If you email me at [my moniker] at komkast.net (change the k's to c's) we can go into more detail if you like.

Best,

9. rwyckoff

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like things have sort of stabilized for now. I can wait to see what happens to A123 before I try to tear into it.

Any updates will be greatly appreciated. Thanks-

Ron

10. wb9k

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got word this morning that CFIUS approval for the deal with A123 has been granted to Wanxiang. Still a couple details to take care of, but I would say we now know who will own A123.

11. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please Hymotion have no support,customers, and new customers . The city of Houston uninstalled the Hymotion L5 Prius because of the charging issues. The demise of Hymotion L5 has come and gone and was overpriced
    A123 Hymotion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia