1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Working online w/ dealer for 07 touring #6 Seaside.

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by sounds_great, Apr 10, 2007.

1. sounds_great

sounds_great Junior Member

Well, I submitted requests for a quote from the local dealers in my area. One has contacted me and told that he can get me the 07 touring package 6 in Seaside pearl (exactly what I asked for) for $26,197. I'm pretty happy about that as carsdirect.com is $1,000 higher than that.

The dealer and I have been sending emails back and forth. I am wondering how to take the next step. My main concern now is other fees/charges getting brought into the picture. What is the best way to ensure that this price is "the price" and will only have taxes added to it? The car is in WY and he wants a $500 refundable deposit to hold the vehicle and get it routed here. Fine by me. The process will take 6 weeks, that is exactly when I am looking to buy.

I'm too excited, have to make sure I don't get blindsided here. Thank you for any suggestions/input.

2. sounds_great

OK, I guess nobody liked my post!!

Well, the dealer came back at me with $26.197 + $399 dealer handling + taxes.

Does that sound like a good deal?

3. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Why will it take 6 weeks to route it your dealer? It can come from Japan quicker than that. The price sounds like a good deal to me. If you decide to go for it, do not comit to any extended warranties until you check out Troy of Greenfield thru Prius Chat. He offers the original Toyota Platinum zero deductible, 7 year, 100,000 warranty for $960.00. Don't tell your dealer were you can get it cheaper. Quite a few of us here on Prius Chat have dealt with Troy and are very satisified.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sounds_great @ Apr 14 2007, 01:24 PM) [snapback]423291[/snapback]</div>
    Not everyone necessarily sees or notices every post. Right now your dealer wants $26,596 for the car. What are you getting for the $399? Get the "taxes" itemized and verify that those amounts are legitimate. Some dealers will overstate state mandated taxes and fees. Since you know exactly what you want and if you are willing to travel a bit you may want to consider contacting dealers further away. On the other hand Touring models are harder to find so you may not be able to work a better deal. Around here three dealers have a total of 4 Touring models out of 25 total.

5. acylon

acylon New Member

Sounds like a great deal to me, I paid about $1000 more for the same thing! :angry: Oh, well...
    I got mine at Royal Moore Toyota in Hillsboro, I was very happy with the service and all. They were the cheapest I could find at the time, about a month ago. I think I am going to do the extended Warranty thing here with Troy, I bought it at the dealer for around $1300, and have 30 days to cancel.
    I love my Prius :)

6. sounds_great

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Apr 14 2007, 01:24 PM) [snapback]423315[/snapback]</div>
    He is no longer getting the vehicle from WY, but it will still be 4-6 weeks. Works great for me. I am moving at the end of this month. Also, I get a bonus on 07/06, I wanted to wait until 05/06 so I can use that bonus for license and registration. I used to work in retail. I know all about the warranty game!! With 36,000 miles to think about it, I'm in no rush.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Apr 14 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]423416[/snapback]</div>
    I am aware of that. More than 40 people had viewed w/o posting when I wrote that. It wasn't a slam on them for not writing, I just thought people might not have liked the post.

Now, I have a dealer who says he will go $100 under my best quote. He has quoted me at $26,097 + $399 dealer handling + taxes. I took that back to the other dealer who first quoted me and said that if he could beat that by $100, I would be ready to do business. He has now offered that deal and is requesting a $500 refundable deposit. Which I am OK with, except he wants to do it over the phone. I do not feel good about agreeing to something with a car dealer like that. I am requesting a document be sent to me that states the refundable deposit.

Part of me wants to continue the game and see how many more times I can get $100 off. Most of me says I should commit to this guy and do it! Should I be the good guy and take it, or should I go with the mentality that these guys are car salesman and I should not be concerned as it is a dog eat dog world?

7. tvanderbeek

tvanderbeek New Member

A few local dealers have told me that they will sell me an 07 (non-touring) #6 for $300 over invoice ($24,522+$300). They said the touring model is $500 more. The salesperson who sold us our '06 in August agreed to the deal. I'm not sure if that number is the true invoice but several dealers had the same number. There were dozens of Prius' on the lot so they aren't in a position to negotiate up. Toyota is advertising "Package Rebates" so the rebate depends on the package you want. $2000 is the stated discount for '07 #6 non-touring. I think the discount on the touring model is just a few hundred less, maybe $1700?

8. loghound

loghound New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sounds_great @ Apr 14 2007, 11:24 AM) [snapback]423291[/snapback]</div>
    I sent out a request for e-quote over the weekend and here was the result (bay area)

Package #6 touring $25,387
    Package #6 non touring $24,957
    Package #5 non touring $23,814
    Package #4 non touring $23,184
    Package #2 non touring $21,380

I called and talked to the internet person, they claim their pricing is 'easy' -- $750 under invoice. I asked her what other charges to get 'out the door' and she said 10% which I believe is typical for california (7% for sales tax, 2% for DMV and 1% for 'other')

I'm feeling pretty good about those prices and will likely be purchasing a package 5.

9. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John F Mc @ Apr 17 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]424688[/snapback]</div>
    The touring sounds like a very good price. LA, OC, San Diego, cheapest price I found so far for Pkg #6 Touring Silver $25,8XX. Tempted to wait until next model year comes out, end of month i.e, around August, for potential add'l savings but would have to take the gamble that incentives would still be offered.

10. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John F Mc @ Apr 17 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]424688[/snapback]</div>

The pkg #2 is a very good price based on my experience. A general "$700 under invoice" is the best I've seen.
    ENJOY,
    Carl

11. slioch2007

slioch2007 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John F Mc @ Apr 17 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]424688[/snapback]</div>
    Would you mind sharing the name of the dealer who offered package #5 for 23,814? The best I found has been 24,022 here in the Bay Area. Thanks!

12. loghound

loghound New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slioch2007 @ Apr 24 2007, 05:07 PM) [snapback]429384[/snapback]</div>
    It was Fairfield Toyota, ask for Marie Navasca. Again this was the email quote I got, I talked to her briefly and it seemed all pretty straitforward but I haven't actually cut a deal yet so I suppose there is some risk that they want to pile on a bunch of extras but she seemed pretty straitforward.

-John

13. sounds_great

OK, I bought it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I showed up for the car and it had grey interior. I ordered the bisque. Needless to say, I was not pleased. The dealer I started with handed the deal off as he was leaving to be a broker. This dealer didn't know about the history of the situation. I test drove the car and decided I liked the grey just fine. After a bit of debate, I got the dealer to take of $461. The dealer tried to take that off of $26,197. I explained that the original dealer had agreed to $25,997 + $399 dealer handling +$17.20 fee of some sort + taxes. It took some work, but she finally agreed to $25,536 + $399 dealer handling +$17.20 fee of some sort + taxes.