1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Working to get best mileage to/from work

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PruisAz, Sep 21, 2012.

1. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been toying with getting the best mileage to/from work and focusing on the best routes to work here in the metropolitan Phoenix area and staying off the freeway(18 miles). I just purchased a 2012 genIII, use A/C all the time, have the tires at 40/38psi and have installed a ScanGuage2. I'm pretty much driving speed limit or about 2 miles under when no traffic behind me. P&G technique is not intentionally being used. I am using the ECO mode as it limits the throttle response to help maintain the position I want to be. Normal/PWR causes too much erraticness.
    • Using the freeway at 65mph, my avg mileage seems to be about 52mpg. Any slower and it proves to be unsafe with these freeway drivers.
    • Using 45mph roads in the morning, I've managed to get a consistant 60-61mpg. The A/C is drawing only about 0 -200w (xguage ACW) in the morning. Braking is to a minimal and timing the lights is a focus.
    • Using 45mph roads in the afternoon rushhour traffic, I've managed to get @57 -59mpg. Too many unanticipated stops, many red lights, cars turning right on right lane. The A/C is drawing about 800w (xguage ACW) during the trip, but the A/C starts off initially at 1800w as it cools the cabin in 100f heat. Its fustrating too try to increase the mileage but better than the freeway.
    • Using a 35mph + 45mph roads in the morning, I've managed to get a much better 67.1mpg. . I did find myself with the traction battery below the 1/2 remaining and tried to utilize the brake recharge lightly as much as possible as I coasted toward lights. I found myself coasting more than 1/2 the time between stoplights spreadout 1/2mile apart.
    • Using 35 - 45mph roads, I've managed to get 62.4mpg on the afternoon return trip.
    Speed no doubt is critical in gaining the upper hand on mileage. Sure my travel times have gone from 20-22 minutes to 30-35 minutes, but the ride is enjoyable and eventful managing to keep off the ICE. The ScanGuage is worth its money in gold. A good investment.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, sounds like you're doing a great job!

3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Speed is important but P & G is king in the hypermiling world. Take advantage of the 40 mph speed limit (and below) roads. To not make anybody too made you can employ a technique of pulsing about 5 mph over the limit than gliding back down to maybe around 5 below or so. Also use hills to your advantage if you have any.

4. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    P & G can be a problem when in traffic. Also, it takes energy to be spent to get up the hills and assume the auto will be coasted on the way down. Can mileage be eeked out of the hills?

5. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not particularly but it can help you flow with traffic better.