1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Working towards 1000 miles on a tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by VABeachPrius, May 25, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea Chris, that makes sense and I experience much the same thing, but with much less consistency. It seems that getting into the stage that allows the ICE to shut off a speeds below 35mph isn't a permanant thing. I don't know exactly what I do to get out of that stage, but I do.

In any case, I'm far too "Type-A" personality for routinely P&G at the speeds you do (trust me, I've tried it the last 2 days since reading your post) and since the 35mph-40mph range is more reliable for getting into a glide and the speeds are more road friendly (I almost always have some other traffic and there are not many good places for them to pass me) and since I can still get 65mpg+ with that and not have to leave 30 minutes earlier than usual for work I'm sticking with that range.

BTW, I'm sitting at 70.7mpg 372 miles into this tank (4 pips left).

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    lately I have noticed that I am able to get into a no arrows glide at about 45 - 47 mph. It is difficult to get and stay in, but i have managed to keep it on flats and slight downgrades for as long as the speed doesn't change (increase or decrease). I have noticed this at least 10 times in the past 3 or 4 days. It also only happens after approx. 20 minutes into my commute and seems easier to get with the ambient temps low 80's. As far as the pressure on the gas pedal it would be about as light as your fingers that aren't pushing any buttons on your keyboard while your typing.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome. Now I wanna see how you do on the interstates, so make
    sure you log all your tanks on the way to HF and, uh, regain a little
    humility!
    _H*