1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

World Premiere of 2023 Prius Prime in Japan

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by drash, Mar 1, 2023.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Launches All-New Prius PHEV in Japan | Toyota | Global Newsroom | Toyota Motor Corporation Official Global Website

Starting for sale in Japan on March 15th, North America will (probably) start getting their orders in April at sometime, the 2023 Prius PHEV. Some juicy data from the announcement:
    • Trims with 19” wheels fuel efficiency is 26.0 km/L (61 mpg), 17” wheels fuel efficiency is 30.1 km/L (71 mpg) - WLTC (averaged between urban, suburban, and highway modes)
    • Trims with 19” wheels All Electric Range (AER) is 87 km (54 miles), 17” wheels AER is 105 km (65 miles) - again WLTC calculations as above
    • price in Japan is ¥4,600,00 ($33,883)
    • Has Regeneration Boost which when set provides stronger regeneration when using just the accelerator
    • The new Prius PHEV comes with a "My Room Mode" that lets users enjoy air conditioning and audio systems from the external power source by turning the power switch on during normal charging without turning on the entire system.
    • Japan will be getting only 450 per month

07298FE6-35E1-45D4-893A-D19D6B11179B.jpeg

Attached Files:

beamsley, Gokhan, JoeBlack and 3 others like this.
  2. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It nice to see the Gen 5 PP naked.:rolleyes: Lutz version it seems. :rolleyes:Hopefully we will see them out on the streets by June. I'm sure the MSRP and waiting list is huge as well.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    At that production rate, it is 5400 a year. I would expect more for the US, but the wait times aren't going to drop soon.

Japan uses a modified WLTP. With lower speed limits, they drop the very high speed section. Their WLTP result will be better than EU WLTP.

drash likes this.
  4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I decided to make the announcement separate from my assumptions and calculations. But for those who want the gory details:
    • Using an apples to apples comparison, the AER of 87 km (54 miles) on 19" wheels as opposed to the 60 km (37 miles) of the 2017 - 2022 Prius Prime is actually only about 45% better range. The AER of 105 km (65 miles) on 17" wheels is 75% higher. Don't assume you'll be getting 44 miles AER based on their measurements. I'm not entirely sure they are the exact same calculations as above either as I don't remember them averaging highway, urban, suburban for earlier models. I'd prefer to wait for the European measurements (WLTP combined) or the actual EPA as @Trollbait pointed out.
    • You should note that range hits are about 10 or 11 miles and efficiency also takes a 10 mpg hit on the 19" wheels over the 17" wheels based on their calculations.
    • Before everyone in Europe gets excited about it being only €31,755 (about), don't forget to add in your VAT and tariff (might be included in VAT). Also it's not exactly what you'll get in initial cost anyway.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Amazing specs. The beauty of dual fuels. The power out generation ability will sell like hotcakes to those who live in storm zones and be vastly cheaper (a couple of jugs of gas on standby) than other options (very large generators, massive batteries+solar, etc).

I hope these improvements migrate to the rav/highlander/sienna platforms.

I didn't see any mention of the HV battery size. Also, 12v moved to the back.... again (yuk).

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looks like no room for a spare, again. Wasn't really expecting it; even the regular 5th gen has apparently nixed it, on all levels.

7. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    65.2 miles of EV Range is substantial. 105K on 17" tires.... Now we are getting closer to my 40 mile commute Interesting.

8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And no wonder they can't fit a rear E-Axle in there. The charger is ginormous and the gas tank sits higher than in the HEV. The charger in the 2017 - 2022 Prime was under the rear seat and wasn't quite that large.

2017-prius-plug-in-hybrid-tech-01.jpg

20230301_02_12_gastank_charger.jpg I suspect the charger may contain a buffer battery for the Solar roof option.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Around 13kWh IIRC. Can't remember where I saw it.

drash, fotomoto and ColoradoCrow like this.
  10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is a $34k price tag in the US and if it still qualifies for the fed tax credit, then I would be interested. 75% EV range increase on SE model would be close to 50 miles real world EV range for me.

But I just don't see the price will be justifiably low on this car for me like Gen4 PPs in the past.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All-new Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid

"With a target of allowing most daily driving to be undertaken in EV mode, EV range is 69 kilometres* thanks to a new 13.6kWh lithium-ion battery."

69 km is about 43 miles and that is WLTP before they compare manufacturer derived specs using WLTP Combined with submitted official WLTP Combined and differences are resolved, also called final homologation.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Didn’t Toyota say about a 50% range increase ?

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They originally said the gen4 Prime would have something like 22 miles of range. The 50% statement was from an international unveiling event , and before the range and efficiency ratings were officially sanctioned.

14. 12parsecs

12parsecs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The > 50mi (fits my commute!) all electric range really has my attention now. Hopefully we’ll see some reviews soon.

15. Vneck

Vneck New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Since it is not built in the US, it is not qualified the fed tax credits. If your state has incentives, it may qualify for it. My state has tax deduction for a max $1400 sale tax reduction, so I may get one if Toyota do not sale at a crazy price.

#15 Vneck, Mar 1, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2023
  16. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Europe specs have about a 53% increase. The original WLTP on the 2017 - 2022 Prius Prime was 45 km (28 miles) and the new Prius Prime WLTP is 69 km so the difference is about 53%. Europe uses WLTP and Japan uses WLTC. If you use the 53% from the Euro difference then the 2023 Prius Prime should get 38 miles, but I'd wait and see.

bisco likes this.
  17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Nice!

Those 19" wheels suck the fuel economy and BEV range.
    • BEV range with 17" wheels (SE): 44 miles
    • BEV range with 19" wheels (XSE and XSE Premium): 36 miles
    So, the SE has a 21% higher BEV range than the XSE and XSE Premium.

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Japan and EU WLTP aren't directly comparable. The WLTP test being used(there are two others for lower powered vehicles) has four cycles. Starts with a low speed one with stops, with each cycle following having a higher speed and fewer stops. The fourth is a high speed one; faster than the EPA highway cycle. Japan doesn't use that fourth one. Their WLTP results are based just on the other three.

https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/Japan_2030_standards_update_20190927.pdf
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_Harmonised_Light_Vehicles_Test_Procedure

19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ro–ros take two weeks from Japan, followed by one-month-long processing and accessory installation at Toyota Logistics Services at the Port of Long Beach, followed by two weeks of transit. So, Prius Primes should be available in US dealers in mid-May as I previously estimated.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wasn't the prime 25 miles?