1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worlds Best Motor Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by edthefox5, Oct 12, 2013.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok maybe not the worlds best but the best I have found so far. My Gen 2 motor although highly maintained since birth on M1 has a pretty clackity top end. Not bad but not sewing machine quiet with the hood open.

I have used Redline D6 trans fluid for the last 5 years in and have pulled UOA's with ridiculously low wear numbers so decided to try there motor oil.
    First of all the feel of this stuff between your fingers is very strange. Like super slippery liquid plastic. Makes M1 feel like dino oil between your fingers. And I'm a lifelong M1 fan.

Immediately after I loaded the engine with this stuff it is now about 50% quieter. Its pretty amazing actually how immediately it made the engine sound better.. And when you punch it it sounds like a different motor. Like its not straining. I bought 10-30 and recommend you use 30 weight not 20 weight. In cold regions use 5-30. This stuff will outperform 20 weight M1 in mpg and at 30 you will get much better protection.

Touted as High performance Motor Oil and there not kidding. 100% pure base esther stock with high grade ZDP additive. If your a fanatic about maintaining your car like I am I implore you to try this stuff.

Its not cheap it $ 11.49 a quart but you get what you pay for here. I also am seeing a 2 mpg gain too. The wife drives the Prius and she gets 43. She's no hypermiler and could car less. Last week it now says 44.5 for her for the first time ever. A really big gain for her.

I buy it at Jegs as Redline online does not use Paypal just CC's but Jegs does. Free ship too.
    Also available on Amazon.

Treat your car.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motor Oil - 10W30 Motor Oil

redline+motor+oil - JEGS High Performance

But don't take it from me. Please Google:

Redline Motor Oil Review
    They all say the same thing. Smooth & quiet with extended OCI.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    as with any new oil, the engine is going to perform better. report back after a few thousand miles and let us know.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mobil One never made it this quiet even when brand new. Instant difference. Pretty impressive.
    Seeing the same results alot of people online have seen when you check reviews. Alot of tuner forums use there motor & gear oil oil religiously. There gear oil is awesome. There MT-90 in a manual trans hot rod is like butter.

But to be on the safe side will pull a UOA at 7500.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the uoas will tell all of xourse. but if it has measurably more additives, that is a good thing.
    i am noticing more ticking soonerthese days with m1 and i only have 48k.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes ticking....me too which was disappointing with M1. It always made a racket under there.

The other thing my car is doing with 63,000 miles and meticulous M1 oil changes is I'm losing a little bit of oil.
    About an 1/8 of an inch below fill mark every 3,000 miles. Not a whole lot but I'm seeing it.
    Didn't lose any when new but just may be normal wear on the rings.

I have read a few posts that this oil helps that and they tout better ring seal with this oil on there website. I'm hoping its just evaporation and this oil touts less evaporation too.

So...its an exploration but so many positive reviews out there and I am already hearing good things under the hood.

It has improved the clackity clack alot so far. That's much better.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if the higher viscosity is the magic here.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In those FL temps, undoubtedly the higher viscosity is better.

8. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for reporting your experience. What weight M1 were you running?

Evaporation normally does not account for much of the oil loss, rather leakage past the rings is the normal culprit. Running as others have eluded, higher viscosity would reduce the rate of leakage.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In M1 I have run the whole gamut. 5-30 & 10-30 & 0-20.
    Very very good oil but there is better. When it first came out back in the 80's it was milestone.

I prefer a thicker oil due to the brutal temps we see down her for most of the year as Spidy surmised. Thicker meaning 30 over 20 never 40. I don't like the top end noise of 20 weight oil. And when I ran M1 20 I really didn't see any mpg increase.
    I do with this oil with the wife which means If I drive it for a day I'll probably get 55.

Plus much talk about different formula now on M1 compared to original M1. Maybe not as good as original M1. Don't know if that's Internet legend but have seen that on more than one car forum. Seen it on Bitog too.

Redline is different in that it is 100% base esther. Apparently that alone is not good for a long oci for motor oil maybe because of increased tan so there is a high quality additive pack of zdp in it also.

But this thread is only for us fanatics that enjoy this stuff I'm afraid. I'm waiting for the " I have free Toyota with free oil changes why would I pay $12 a quart"?

This is a good product. Try it.

And yes evap is very little concern but it is happening. Redline touts less evap in there oil here:

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motor Oil - 10W30 Motor Oil

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 5W-30 Mobil-1 (and 0W-30) is ACEA A5/B5 rated which I think means good for extended drains, ought to hold up. I do not think any of the 20 weight oils are A5/B5 certified in USA (maybe in Europe they are). Some premium brands like Redline infer they could pass the A5/B5 rating if they wanted to. I tried to check the Toyota oils the other day, but dealer did not have them displayed in the store.

11. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What is the science behind the smoother running engine and better MPG from Redline? Does it maintain viscosity at operating temperature better than the M1?

As you know, the 2 big factors that determine how long an oil will last is its ability to maintain proper viscosity and TBN. I run M1 for 1yr/12,000 miles in my high revving, high compression TSX. Oil analysis shows it's still performing adequately when I change it out.

I'm no oil fanboy, I just bought a lot of M1 (5w-30) when Costco had it on sale. I'd switch oils if I were convinced that I could either extend the change interval enough to offset the cost, improve MPG, or significantly decrease engine wear. Based on your experience, you suggest that we might get 3.5% better fuel economy by using Redline. This translates to about $50/yr for me, which would offset the premium price and put about $10 extra in my wallet.

I might give it a go when I run out of M1 in 2 years! (y)

12. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The ACEA is only a European Rating. US ratings are done by the API. The latest 0W-20 I have been getting from Amsoil is rated A5/B5 (on the European Scale) and SN (on the API Scale).

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK well I checked the AMSOIL 0W-20 bottles at Shell station just a month ago and did not see A5/B5 rating, but I agree they change the bottle labels a lot. The older Mobil-1 bottles on my shelf do not have the A5/B5 rating, but the new ones in the store at Walmart do (for 30 weight only). I do not necessarily think Euro rating is bad thing I tend to think may be more stringent.

I also think I have heard some engine on M1 after some 4-5000 miles, but the "fresh" oil I am using has been on my shelf at least several years, so I can't comment on newM1.

Let's face it the Redline sounds interesting, I just don't know if it is advisable for a Prius. Here is Amazon link below. They mention BMW, GM, etc but not Toyota. Commenters also mention federal regs forcing zinc additive reduction, but Redline is keeping this zinc in or something? Not sure but may have implications.

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Smoother running I attribute to improved lubricity. Its very slippery. And they are touting greater viscosity at operating temp.

15. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Better for me to double check than pass bad info. The 1 gal container of Amsoil "Signature" 0W-20 ("ASM" designation) I have in my hand definitely has the A5/B5 on the back label. Interestingly, the data sheet on the Amsoil web site does not show a A5/B5 rating for the Signature 0W-20 (ASM designation). Huh? Maybe I have their one batch of A5/B5?

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf