1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

World's Worst Mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by notjonathan, Aug 10, 2006.

1. jimmyhua

jimmyhua New Member

Hi Lost in the Hills,

That reset button is a great tool.

I used it to track the difference the use of Air Conditioning and non-use of airconditioning.

Using AC impacts MPGs in a BIG way if your trip lengths are short. However, the Prius AC is very smart, and you can set it on low, and then it will barely effect your MPGs.

Anyways, experiment a little. I find, all you need is about 100 miles to see what kind of effects your changes are making to the car, so yeah, I use the reset alot to try different things.

I personally started using one of those windshield covers (to block the sun) and leaving a crack in the window to help the AC a little.

Jimmy

2. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lost In The Hills @ Aug 14 2006, 05:20 AM) [snapback]302920[/snapback]</div>

Oh - I forgot to add - you *still* can track your overall mpg for the life of the car. Evertime we fill up, we record it using the calendar screen (hit "info" to access it), noting the mileage as well as the number of gallons pumped. Another advantage of this is that you can see the effects of average temperatures and what not on you mileage. Anyway, you don't lose much at all by hitting reset....

Any news?

dave

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just a thought, Lost, you are driving in "D" and not "B", correct?

Nate

4. Jill Jacoby

Jill Jacoby New Member

I'm not understanding this. What is MFD? And how do you turn it off/on?
    Your comment caught my eye because I did run out of gas two weeks ago, and have been suffering from low mpg ever since.

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm still wondering if the reset button was ever hit and a test drive on the open road like Godiva (and others) suggested of 30+ minutes was performed to get a new mpg reading?? I'm guessing not...even though it's been well over a week now. :huh:

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I guess the original "problem" isn't considered serious enough to immediately address by a reset/test drive.

7. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

delete...duplicate post

8. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

Delete...duplicate post

9. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I know the feeling LITHills....

My first tank yielded 31 mpg, 30 calculated....I filled up, reset MFD for another trip...also upped my tire pressure, started with P&G, coasting as much as possible, climbing my nasty hills quickly, bunched errands into one day so ICE warmed up and gave me assist on subsequent errands, ....I am little more than half-way through my second tank and

I am getting 41 mpg for VERY short trips...maybe 5-10 minute trips...today I did one that was 20 minutes...and where I live there are LOADS of hills...the whole northern short of Long Island is very hillgy....

so today, I went up a bit...At the beginning of the tank, I actually hit 45 mpg on a day when I made two longer trips to our mall...using P&G and coasting...

So...I put the data on my spreadsheet, but am just writing off that first tank...who knows what went on before I got it....

If I can stay around 40 given my driving conditions..short trips and lots of hills and lights and stops....I'll be thrilled.

Hope to hear things improve...keep us posted.

I use E10...that's pretty much the standard around here...so that has some effect as well.

10. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 22 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]307834[/snapback]</div>
    I guess! If I was that worried about my mpgs being too low I would have taken some sort of action immediately rather than come on here and complain about it without actually trying to do ANYthing to rectify it. When I get mad that my mileage is too low (ie: below 47-48) for my everyday driving, I think nothing of it to hit the reset button and start fresh.

11. notjonathan

notjonathan New Member

Now for heaven's sake, folks...

...don't start feeling all jilted. I still love you all.

And yes-- I pressed my reset button the very next time I drove the car. Which was August 17th. (Look, I'm serious when I tell you I've been staying in and working under an incredibly pressing writing deadline.)

AND...I printed up blank driving records. Formatted 'em as a table and everything. Date; From (location); Time; To (location); Time; Odometer @ end; MPG shown @ end; Fillup Date; Odometer @ Fillup; Gallons Filled; and Notes (like traffic, AC on or off, etc.). I clipped the blanks to a board and put them in the car along with a pen.

Since then, I've kept scrupulous records of every trip. And I've kept my mouth shut because I wanted to collect enough data for it to be useful before weighing in again. Didn't want to waste everyone's time by jumping the gun. Jimmyhua suggested that 100 miles might be a good benchmark. So far I've gone all of 42 miles, in 19 trip segments. Really short segments. Market, Target, news stand, hardware store. And in pretty dense midday Hollywood traffic.

Also, I sort of didn't want to get yelled at for not having the different exact priorities that various different people insist I should have. I made my job my priority. I had to.

So, to Rancid13 and to Godiva: Yes, the problem was serious enough that I pressed the reset button right away. (Thought I'd already agreed I would; sorry if that wasn't clear.) As for "serious enough" for a 30+ minute test drive-- nope, mileage isn't trumping work right now. Though I sure wish it could.

I'l be pretty darn happy when I have the freedom and leisure to take a good long road cruise. I'm curious to see what happens, and I'll be keeping careful records. While my biggest interest is still whether or not I get reasonable mileage for the kind of travel I actually do, it will be interesting--and telling, and even fun--to see what happens when I try other people's travel patterns. At least it'll tell me how my car's performance compares with people who drive differently. (And actually, once this work project is done, my pattern will most likely return to a much more typical mix of long and short trips, and of a lot more driving every day.)

Meanwhile, this is why I've been especially interested in what people were getting who do have similar patterns, however unusual those may be. Yeah, my travel these past weeks isn't going to tell anyone how I stack up against the largest pool of drivers. Eventually my travel will come much closer to that. But some things have always been atypical. For instance, while I drive between 12,000 and 18,000 miles a year, I've rarely had a daily commute. And I drive in and around Los Angeles-- a city that can be something of a hybrid in itself. Huge parts of L.A. are sort of urban and sort of suburban and sometimes even semi-rural all in one place. I live in a wildfire zone less than a mile from Graumann's Chinese Theater. Go figure.

To DaveSheremata: Thanks for the suggestion about the calendar screen. Wow--this car can do so much, and I've barely scratched the surface of all those screens. (And if anyone does scratch my screen...watch out.)

To nateprius: Thanks; definitely not driving in B.

And to all, here's at least a quick preview of my results so far. But like I said, I've only been able to put 42 miles on the car since that reset. (I do still know my odometer miles at the latest fillup, so I'll do a manual calculation next time.):

Lots of really short segments-- 19 total-- from <1 mile to 5 miles-- in pretty much heavy midday Hollywood traffic. Travel rounds range from 3 to 6 segments. Stops between segments range from 10 to thirty minutes, with one stop of 90 minutes. I have the exact numbers for each trip...but so far this is all the data I have to work with.

The mpg news (so far) may be sort of good, but this is all so early. Time will tell. (Okay, time and distance.) (Okay-- time, distance, speed, weight, traffic, weather, tires, etc. I know.) At reset, the mpg reading became 46.6. After the first short (<1 mile), trafficky segment, it was 43.9. In subsuquent segments (remember--all short, mostly all trafficky) it adjusted to 37.2, 36.3, 30.2, 34.2, 34.3, 33.5, 31.8, 32.4, 30,1, 32.1, 32.3, 32.3, 31.1, 32.0, 31.9, 31.8, 30.9.

That a distinct improvement over the 23 and change I was getting before the reset and under similar traffic and travel pattterns. There was one important difference that would affect mileage: before the reset, I was using AC pretty consistently for several weeks. After the reset, the weather was cool enough that I had the AC off, except for a portion of the very last segment (which was <3 miles).

So we'll see what happens when I know more. When I really have something to work with. Meanwhile, thanks for all you're been doing for me.

And please don't yell at me. I respect you all, and hope you'll remember that even though my needs, my availability and my travel pattern may be different from yours, our cars are all the same.

So we're all in this together.

Again, thanks! This little stop has been the one break in my drudgery today, as I am, currently,

more Lost In The Work than Lost In The Hills.

12. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveSheremata @ Aug 21 2006, 02:40 AM) [snapback]306593[/snapback]</div>
    Is this only available in the upper packages? I couldn't find it on mine.

13. omega II

omega II New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    sounds like you got a lemon!

14. notjonathan

notjonathan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(picarsic @ Aug 24 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]309033[/snapback]</div>
    Gosh...it's a provocative thought...but right now I just don't think it could be anything that major. (Certainly not a lemon in the lemon-law sense-- a car that needs to be replaced.)

So much will depend on my getting enough good data now--and of course on whatever I can learn from Toyota, if the raw numbers don't answer the questions first. But what little I have collected so far--and all that I've been learning here-- feels like it's pointing me away from lemon and toward a few other most-likely areas:

I may discover that some aspect of my driving habits, conditions, patterns is at a much more extreme, far end of the curve of what's typical than I realized. Like my current infrequent driving, short trips, traffic, etc. It could be way off the scale, while I'd assumed it was merely close to one end.

It may come from a quirk in how the car--without malfunctioning--does its calcualtion. As you see in the thread, the matter of how the calculations do and don't reset is of particular interest. (And that's the area I'm following most right now, since resetting the thing.) In that case, I could actually have been doing better that it was reading. (One or two manual averages when I refuel would help identify that.)

It could be a computer glitch that needs reprogramming or replacing or something like that. (Again, the manual average would help, here.)

Anyway, until I can get out and around more (and boy, do I want to), those are the areas I'd put money on.

Of course if I do put money on those, it'll guarantee that it turns out to be a live mouse in the engine.

L.I.T.H.

Darn it. I just did what I wasn't gonna to do. Spun my wheels in idle speculation. Sorry, all. (But I didn't want to ignore your note, picarsic...and it just got me thinking about what my guesses are.)

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lost In The Hills @ Aug 24 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]308989[/snapback]</div>
    Yup, those are insanely short segments. I'd bet that if you were driving a V6 equipped car, you'd be getting like 1/4 to 1/2 (at best) of the mileage you're getting so far.

My drive to work one way is 24 miles that lasts 28-32 minutes typically with ~20 mins of on the highway. As I think I mentioned on this thread or another, my lifetime mpg is so far ~45.5 mpg. My Z achieves 21-23 mpg over the same route.

16. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Aug 25 2006, 12:45 AM) [snapback]309223[/snapback]</div>
    I agree that the short trip driving is the most probable cause of OTH's problems. My overall average is ~ 46 mpg, but if I'm just doing trips of 1-2 miles I am guessing at 35 mpg. I haven't done any testing with only short trips, but even if I'm above 50 mpg when I start driving with over a hundred miles on the total since last reset, mileage drops ~ 1 mpg with each 1 mile trip.

Dave M.

17. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Aug 25 2006, 12:45 AM) [snapback]309223[/snapback]</div>
    Not only that. The OP has driven only 42 miles since the original message was posted over two weeks ago.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lost In The Hills @ Aug 24 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]308989[/snapback]</div>
    It would also appear that when the OP leaves to run his or her errands he or she first drives down a steep hill, as the gasoline engine is warming up, and that the trip home ends with a steep climb up that hill. That is not a driving pattern that is conducive to optimal mileage.

Satellite image of the area surrounding Graumann's Chinese Theater

18. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lost In The Hills @ Aug 24 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]308989[/snapback]</div>
    I think this is all we really need to know.

Only 42 miles in 19 trips is an average trip of only about 2.2 miles. You should be happy to even be cracking 30MPG, since the engine likely doesn't even get a chance to warm up completely.

I am sure your Prius is working fine. :)

By the sound of it, a bicycle might be a better solution for such short trips - then you have infinite MPG! ;) :lol:

Kevin

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To the OP,

I know you're busy w/your work/project but w/all the time you've been spending reading and replying to posts here, you should really just at night (when traffic is light) go out and take a 30+ minute drive on the freeway. Just set your cruise control to maybe ~65 mph (I used to live in LA so I know you can't go say 55 mph w/o angering a lot of motorists). You should be able to see some bars at >40 mpg mark on the fuel economy history screen.

20. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Aug 25 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]309367[/snapback]</div>
    I believe the speed limit on some portions of the 101fwy is still 55...