1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

World's Worst Mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by notjonathan, Aug 10, 2006.

1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(picarsic @ Aug 24 2006, 05:52 PM) [snapback]309033[/snapback]</div>
    Are you smoking something? During the first 5 minutes (which could be up to 5 miles or so), the ICE is running to warm up, and i usually an somewhere around 30, even lower on very cold days (i've had it below the 25 MPG line during warm up before)... Honestly, it's the short trips that are killing the mileage right now. I can practically gaurantee that, when the OP takes it out, presses reset, and drives for 30+ minutes in light traffic he'll be much higher. All we have here is an initial situation where the MPGs were screwy because of this that and the other, and a continuing situation where no significant[/1] data was ever collected. For crying out loud, take half an hour to drive the damn car and come back and tell us it's fine!

2. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

Hi LITH....I just started my third tank today....31 mpg on first, 42.8 (Calc) on second....I seem to have driving patterns similar to you...lots of short errands, lots of hills, lots of lights and stop signs....

That being said...and I know I'm breaking the car in still (500+ total miles)...but...

toward end of the second tank...instead of trying to pulse and glide as much...what with my short and long up and down hill runs and short trips....I decided to just drive nice and steadily...trying to stay near speed limit...climbing hills at rate to keep in nicely within speed limit....also

Braking slightly on my longest downhill coasts...instead of coasting to a higher speed only to come to a know stop at a main road...or red light.

What I noticed with this way of driving (NOT trying to get more P&G) is ....a lot more Stealth....or yellow-only time at 99.9mpg is just happening

I was trying to get out of the stealth mode and into P&G and the ICE kept coming on, then I was out of the area of being able to P&G

So, after a period of 1/2 mile (even with some slight up and down hill places) or more in Electric only mode.....THEN, it would kick into glide mode (no arrows) provided the stretch was long enough and no big climbs....I was trying to get out of the Electric only mode and go into glide.

Maybe, the car is working WITH me and the Electric mode is just fine for these stretches....my SOC is good ...at half or better....I found that toward the end of the second tank, I went up again on my mpg....picking up from the 40 mpg that I was running....so I'm going to drive my second tank...more in this "nice and steady" fashion, letting the Electric mode work and going into glide when I can...

It seemed that there was much less ICE time...(orange arrows)...and more combo of glide and electric-only.

This difference in combinations with bunching my errands at one time of the day...leaving car in park for few minutes when I run and out and it's safe to do so (hubby in car or in driveway)...tire pressure up, of course.

I am using Auto+AC since it has been way too humid...so I know this affects it, but don't plan to change this...I have the temp set high (78-80) or I have AUTO only with temp set to LO....and no AC.

Forget the lemon comment....I believe we all have our own unique driving areas...locale, temperature, AC needs, hills or not, short or long trips....we have to find a way of driving that works best for our own Prius and for our own personal driving needs.

I'm not "worried" about my mpg...I simply find all of this fun....I know that once I establish a good and automatic mode of driving for myself, I will watch all of this less (MAYBE NOT!! LOL).

The important things first are

Safety.

Comfort.

Lifestyle.

Keep us posted.....hope you find you are climbing higher, LITH!!

We have some wonderful people here who are so willing to jump in with great suggestions from their background knowledge and experience.
    terri

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 25 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]309414[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. I don't think there's anything wrong with the car. These are all trips so short the car never warms up.

Reset, drive on the freeway for 30 min. You'll see the screen registering the current and it will be in the 40's or better, depending on your speed and the terrain. And you'll find your mileage in the 40s or better as well when you check the consumption screen.

4. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

My mileage has gone up without any freeway driving......I don't do freeways anymore....My Prius will be the one owned by the little old lady schoolteacher (only retired now....so worse).

Don't know what LITH's situation is....but not everyone can or will do freeway driving......I do agree with Godiva though...if you are really worried, hit longer stretches or have someone take it out on a freeway or longer drive just so you know it isn't the car....but I think things will improve....

Again...I am thrilled with 40-45 mpg for the kind of driving I will be doing. My Camry gave me 20 mpg...no more around my area....

terri

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(terri @ Aug 25 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]309545[/snapback]</div>
    It is not the lack of freeway driving that is killing LITH's mileage. I get my best mileage on surface streets. The problem is the driving pattern. Nineteen trips segments over a sixteen days period totaling 42 miles. That car never gets a chance to warm up to operating temperatures. The steep mountain terrain where LITH lives does not help (I am quite familiar with that part of Hollywood).

6. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveSheremata @ Aug 21 2006, 02:40 AM) [snapback]306593[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Aug 24 2006, 04:35 PM) [snapback]308990[/snapback]</div>

I have not found a Calendar screen on my 2006 Prius. I have Package 3.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Aug 25 2006, 06:02 PM) [snapback]309615[/snapback]</div>
    The calendar is a part of the navigation system.

8. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 25 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]309618[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, that explains it. I don't have nav.

9. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 25 2006, 08:46 PM) [snapback]309604[/snapback]</div>
    Totally agree IsrAmeriPrisu!

On my third tank now...and I am a short trip with hills person...I went a total of 10 miles...so what I did was make the longest trip first...five miles, then I had five stops on the way home....my mileage is staying above 45 mpg now...I'm at 46.2.

Also, there are a couple of stretches that have very minimal up and down, not completely flat and speed limit is very low...under 30 mph...Instead of trying to P&G, which doesn't work, I coast a bit, but then I notice that all-electric takes over for this stretch (near home, too, which is good)....and I get the 99.9 mpg from the all-electric mode...there are several other stretches similar to this...I basically make the same runs to same places...so I've gone from 30 mpg on Tank #1 to 46.2 right now on my 3rd tank....I'll see if I can hold that.

I understand freeway isn't killing LITH's mileage, but with bunching of errands and letting the car work the hills and doing P&G where I can, I believe it is helping. The car is still breaking in. I have a little over 600 miles on the car.

Again...my point was about each person trying to maximize their own driving patterns to suit the mileage....it was a little tongue-in-cheek to comment on the freeway driving...sorry, my print humor isn't coming across....

terri

10. notjonathan

notjonathan New Member

Oh, no......

Last night I did what I usually do when I have a reply for the forum--

I took a breather from work for couple of minute-- logged on-- put a few lines in the reply-- went back to work-- came back to my reply a little later for a couple of minutes-- added a few more lines-- and so on, over an hour or so. (That habit, by the way, is why I can make time for the forum but can't squeeze in a long drive yet.)

When I finally finished my reply and pressed "Add Reply"... up came that black page congratuating itself on having hacked this site. I couldn't submit the reply. (Even now, the formatting buttons are missing, including the italic which I love so much because that brave little button shoots down the last excuse for the dreaded ALL CAPS.)

So now I get to tell you all that I said the most wonderful things. I addressed everyone's questions, thoughts, greeting, suggestions and even harangues with style-- wit-- grace-- charm-- wisdom-- and piercing yet unthreatening intelligence.

Oh, if only each of you could only have seen what I'd written! You'd have felt warmed... enriched... gently amused and yes, even loved.

Even those few voices who keep haranguing me to shut up and drive the way I don't drive because it'll prove the validity of some opinion that they claim to be completely confident of (and which most all of us already agree with, including me)-- even they were treated with so much more deft patience and respect than I just managed in this long, cranky disaster of a sentence.

(The gist of it was: please understand that I do already believe my car is working pretty much fine, and I'm already completely confident it'll get much, much better mileage with more and longer and more varied driving. That's why proving that likelihood can't be my priority just now. It's just that because I had never found anyone who'd had numbers anything like mine, I've been especially curious about other people whose experiences might have overlapped somewhere with my own. Accepting as a given that my travel these days is probably near the far end of the scale of what's usual for most people. And the cool thing is that I AM starting to hear about other experiences that start to give sense to my numbers. But if they still end up not being explainable, then I'm ready to do more. Meanwhile, I'm okay with giving it a little more time.)

But now I'm too pooped to recreate all those sweet, sweet specific replies.

So for now I'll just let y'all know that I'm still keeping careful driving records, building up to when I'll have enough info to really sort stuff out and tell you all about it. (Mentioning again that I did reset when I began these new records.) If that takes me more time than you think it should, please know that it's only because that takes me more time than you think it should. I'm using and appreciating all the good suggestions here as much as I possibly can, and I send continued gratitude for all of them because you all continue to be wonderfully thoughtful and helpful friends.

There are just a few points that I'd gone over in that hacker-foiled reply that remain crucially important on a public safety level (and I do mean level Barcelona Red):

To IsrAmeriPrius: How the heck is "IsrAmeriPrius" actually said?

I'm really rooting for "IZrammer EEpreeus", on account of the dactylic dimeter having such a cool waltzing thing to it. (And by the way, your observations about my downhill vs. uphill driving and everything sound spot-on to me.)

To cwerdna: Hi-- and your name makes me think of S.W. Erdnase. Does that mean anything to anyone here? (I promise not to be all coy about that forever--I'll be happy to explain who that is, and why it's appropriate to have just a little mystery about it at first. For now, I'll say that it IS a compliment.)

And to answer what was apparently an earlier mystery: I'm a him, based on the original factory equipment. And I've never been much into custom jobs.

Back to work... and cheers, all!

11. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Aug 12 2006, 07:31 PM) [snapback]302340[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Lost, I think Donee and others nailed it! Considering your prior acknowledgement that you've only reset the screen once intentionally, maybe twice while cleaning, this ommission creates a major change in the scenario as we've been discussing. And considering the fact that you live in Hollywood Hills, I can personally vouch for the fact that your Prius is fine! You barely get anything to shout about going home 2 miles from Target and you only get about 25-30 mpg getting to target.

I've created a little spreadsheet to show the effect of only one reset and the story as I follow re your miles and gallons and the wreck using your info from this post (sorry about the lack of formatting for columns):

miles mpg gallons event
    400 29 13.79 pre wreck
    50 23 2.17 post-wreck pre-reset
    50 35 1.43 post reset

lifetime
    miles mpg gallons
    500 28.74 17.40

The real story is that any shop should have picked this up from a basic interview and they didn't! Why, Go figure?

12. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lost In The Hills @ Aug 26 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]309899[/snapback]</div>

OK, after that post, I am with Rancid and Godiva. They may be the Black Prius Chicks but now they have been joined by a silver.

Lola'05

13. nicoss

nicoss New Member

A couple of short thoughts on a long thread

check cold tire pressure,
    use 87 oct. gas and change the gas station you are now using,
    use as much as possible the cruize control,
    check your oil level (about an 1/8th inch UNDER the full mark).

I'm on a steady 48 MPG (with my 2003 prius) driving 70-74 MPH on the 10 & 60 fwy
    Got a 3 MPG increase after I changed gas station and brand
    Depending on where you are, might want to visit Wondries Toyota service in Alhambra and ask for Alex
    I'm going there for the last two years, great service.

P.S next week I'm getting my 2006 #8

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Aug 25 2006, 11:22 AM) [snapback]309400[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! When traffic isn't jammed, you'd be virtually nuts to be going only the speed limit in the LA area except in the slow lane. I remember driving on the 5 between Los Angeles and Anaheim in a 55 at over 70 in one of the slower lanes. I was still being passed all over the place by faster drivers.

The the OP, my handle cwerdna is andrewc spelled backwards.

15. dcoyne78

dcoyne78 New Member

You can calculate your avg mpg for any segment by noting mpg and trip mileage then drive 20 miles or so and note mpg and trip mileage (so you can get a reading in tenths of a mile). You use the numbers at the start of your trip to find the number of gallons consumed since last reset (miles/mpg=gallons)before the trip then find gallons consumed at the end of the trip, take the difference to get gallons used during the trip, mpg is miles driven/gallons used, or you can just hit reset before driving. Rather than spending time reading and responding to messages on this forum, take that time to drive for 30 minutes at a low traffic time of day and you will know whether there is anything wrong with your Prius. I hope not. Eventually you will finish your project, when is the deadline?

16. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

Skunk in a wood pile.

That is my grand daddy's term. Here we are 19 days later with no real answer. Many Prius chatters have made good suggestions. Are we TOO NICE? Where has Lost in the Hills gone?

17. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lola'05 @ Aug 26 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]309912[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. I came back to this thread after a couple of weeks' vacation, to see the resolution of the issue. Instead, I saw this nonsense. I regret having taken the time earlier to offer a thoughtful reply. This thread is either bogus or ignorant, and either way it's not worth following.

18. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Sep 4 2006, 07:50 AM) [snapback]313917[/snapback]</div>
    LITH is either a troll or an idiot. "I can't find the time to do a 30 minute drive because of my work."

19. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(McShemp @ Sep 4 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]314016[/snapback]</div>

You're a Grinch... a lazy Grinch ;)

JK

Dave

20. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lola'05 @ Aug 29 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]311396[/snapback]</div>
    And do we even care anymore?? :rolleyes: I mean, even people who work 18-20 hour days 7 days a week find time to get out of the house/office every great once in a while for longer than 30-minute stretches I'll bet. No one can honestly be THAT busy for THAT long and holed up inside the entire time. It's been almost a month now since the initial post...there has GOT to be a 30-minute window of prime driving opportunity within a 30-day period, there's just got to be! Unless he's a real prisoner and not allowed out of doors except during parole which may not be for awhile? :ph34r: