1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worried about 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bredekamp, Mar 23, 2009.

1. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm concerned that Toyota is making the 2010 Prius so big and so fancy and consequently so expensive that it's going to lose it's mass appeal. I'd be worried if the base 2010 is more expensive than the current base model. I'm concerned that the Prius may evolve into a "premium" brand and will be marketed as such, Lexus style. This may force Prius lovers to get their hybrid fix with cheaper and less efficient hybrids.

I love Prius and want to stick with Prius, but what if Toyota decides to make them unaffordable....:(

All I can do is hope that competition from the likes of Honda (Insight) and Ford (their new hybrid is a looker) will make Toyota think twice about pricing themselves out of the market....The Insight certainly have them chewing on their chopsticks.

2. DotComCTO

DotComCTO New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Based on what I saw at the NY Prius Connection event and also looking at overall market conditions, I'm going to bet that Toyota is fully aware of what they need to do pricing-wise. Based on the number of packages that Toyota has announced, I'm sure there's a good range of price-points to keep their consumer-base happy. Having seen the car in a few configurations, I can safely say that the car isn't *that* upscale. They've done a nice job with all Prius configurations - especially so in the more fully configured models, but no one is confusing this car with Lexus, Acura, BMW or Mercedes!

:D

--DotComCTO

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You seem to be forgetting that other models are in the works... including something less elaborate and more affordable. That particular configuration probably won't be called "Prius".

As for "mass appeal", what does that really mean? Pricing Prius higher just puts it at the Camry level, which is a high-volume vehicle. Lower price is the Corolla level, which is also a high-volume vehicle... which could be the target for the new hybrid.

4. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There are those of us who want all the bells and whistles of Premium Packages. I do not want to leave Prius!!! but I was considering the Lexus this time, and even they have base packages, but now Prius has given me what I want.

I understand the majority wish a Prius for its high mileage and preferred low cost for commuting.

HOWEVER, I am over eighty and have paid my dues, so I should be able to enjoy the toys I desire for the next forty years
    [​IMG] of my life. I like the design of the Prius, so very much, and want to stay here.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand your concern (esp. given that in Canada, our cars tend to be a bit more expensive and that I'm worried about a $40k 2010 Prius). However, the base model is very very well equipped and is close to a mid-range 2009 so even the base package won't feel so basic and will still be affordable.

6. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I should place my concern into context. Toyota South Africa currently sell the Prius with all the extras here, except for the reverse camera and self-dimming mirror. There is only ONE configuration here and they want R315 000 for it. ($33,439)

With all these amazing new extras on the 2010, it is my hope that Toyota SA will make a base Prius available that you can the "build up" yourself. I don't see them selling a Prius here that is preconfigured with items such as the solar vent and radar. Most likely they'll stick with the ABS,VSC, NAV,fog lights, leather and JBL sound like now.

Right now, if you cannot afford what they give you, then you must go without. SA has very few Prius. A Mercedes C180 costs the same as a Prius! If you are your average Joe, are you going to choose a Prius? The Mercedes is built in East London (local) and the Prius is imported. The one is slapped with duties, the other is not.

According to the Toyota sustainability report, 176 Hybrids were sold in 2006 and 210 in 2007. This could mean that local dealers have very little say about what comes from mother Toyota.

Good news: Hondas Hybrids are coming here. IT could jiggle Toyota SA around a bit....

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    jeeeeeez..... That is putting it into context. Canadians bought 4,000 or so Priuses last year and you guys only bought 176 hybrids. Yikes! The price could be a factor, yes, esp. if Honda is planning on bringing the Insight. You might get a base and a fully loaded one.