1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worried about my Prius getting "keyed"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Blue Prius Texan, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Blue Prius Texan

Blue Prius Texan Crazy? Nah...just humorous!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Every time I have gotten a new vehicle, eventually it ends up getting "keyed" (paint removed by somebody running their key along the side of my vehicle).

I was thinking about installing some type of hidden camera(s) so that when/if it happens to my Prius, I'll be able to have that person pay for the new paint job.

Any information, insight, advice?

:confused:

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I worry about that all the time too. Fortunately it actually hasn't happened yet, although I feel I'm pushing my luck when I install my red emblem in a couple months. It'll make my car look really Asian. Hope that doesn't catch bad attention.

For you I'd say past vandalism is an indicator of future vandalism, unfortunately. I can't sugar coat it. If 4/5 of your last cars were vandalized, chances are....especially given the hate and attention the Prius receives. Obviously you need to do something differently. Park somewhere else? Install a camera? Those sound like good ideas to me. Good luck.

3. Blue Prius Texan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Right. It tends to be at work that it happens, and it's at a military plant, so access is controlled and they have SOME cameras (and security guards) in the parking lots. I have to make a lot of decisions that people don't like and I think that those are the people who have done this in the past. I work at night, so even if a camera would catch something, the lighting may not be good enough.

:help:

4. Blue Prius Texan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    By the way.....what is the red emblem you're going to install and where are you going to put it?

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm installing a red carbon fiber sticker that goes in between the rear Toyota emblem. It has to be special ordered from Japan:
    ƒnƒZÂEƒvƒÂÂ@ƒJÂ[ƒTƒCƒg <--- links in Japanese, it works though.

It's good that you've narrowed the problem down to happening at work. Have you told security? HR? Night shift is hard because some shady characters can come out at that time. But yeah you need to find a way to scare them off.

BTW I think the work you do is really cool. I'm a big fan of airplanes, the F-35 is awesome. It's a shame theyre putting the F-22 out of service. Such a beast! Anyways I've been trying to find a plastic model kit of a F35-C in 1/72 scale but none has been made. I digress...

6. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ugh! What a sad situation! It's probably too late, but I would advise you not to tell anyone where you work that you have a new car! Other than that, find a more obscure spot to park, even if it means walking a bit. Adults work at this place?:confused:

7. Blue Prius Texan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is really neat looking. I have never seen emblems like that before. How did you know about them?

Glad you like aircraft. Me, too! There is talk that the military may order some F22s in the near future, but since they have let the assembly line dwindle down to nothing, that would be a huge start-up cost and maybe not worth it.

I know they sell F35 models at the company store, but they are large wooden ones, very expensive, a few hundred dollars. I'll have to take a look next time I'm there and see if they have the plastic ones.

Anyways, I know a couple of the security guards and I think I'll ask them where they suggest would be the best place to park. The only problem is that literally 95% of the parking spaces are reserved (don't ask - makes no sense to me either), so the free-spaces are not necessarily in ideal places.

1 person likes this.
  8. Blue Prius Texan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're right. My colleagues know about my car and what it looks like. My employees (some of which tend to get angry with me, at times) knew that I was considering it. I don't think they know the color of my car though, and we have 5 majorly huge parking areas (thousands of employees). I think the obscure spot will be my best bet.

I don't know....

Adults? Some are and some are not.

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haha thanks. If it's any trouble at all please don't worry about checking on those models. Model making has always just been a little hobby of mine and the new 5th gen fighters piqued my interest all over again. There are some model companies that make kits for the F-35 but they're very outdated and actually are X-35 models. Every few months when I remember I research to see if there are any newer models out. Everyone like me is waiting, haha.

I found out about the decal from a member here in Priuschat, dk222, who posted a pic from his album. He lives in Japan and I asked him how he got it. One thing led to another, and I was able to place an order with more-japan.com. They're US based and can help people order JDM parts you won't find in the US. It was $21, so not bad.

You know, you could try putting a car cover over your Prius every night. It's kinda odd doing that at work but it would mean an extra step for those vandals, so they could be put off.

In the end the people at your work need to understand that keying or vandalism is criminal activity, not something to joke around about and they will get caught and in trouble, hopefully sooner than later.

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm really surprised that this is happening to you so often.

Don't get me started about the F-136 (second engine program) for the F-35, though.
    :)

11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can't believe that somebody you work with would do that to your car.

Why?

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings.

If I've got this right, some cretins (or cretin) are keying your ride in a limited access lot with guards and cameras? -right?

Whoever is/are doing this sounds pretty determined....and also pretty pissed off. You can try the 'nanny cam'...but if this has happened multiple times it's not gonna stop them. Put a sign on your car saying that there cameras aboard---and maybe some dummy cameras. The problem with surveillance cameras are that they're either really expensive, or the quality of the resulting video will make it difficult to prove anything. Remember...you have to PROVE who did it.
    I would also engage management in addressing the problem. If you make decisions that anger other people on behalf of a company---other than the "who you date and who you don't" thing--- said company may have some liability burden in keeping you from being a multiple victim of vandalism. I'm not a sniveling bed-wetting attorney, but I think the current focus-group tested phrase is "hostile workplace." They can 'say' that they're not responsible, just like a dump truck driver can put a sign on his(or her) truck 'saying' they're not responsible for broken windshields---as he passes you at 80...;)

Good Luck!

13. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is going to be almost impossible to put a system in that can get clear video of someone outside the car doing this at night. The perp will also probably not cooperate by facing the camera(s), instead just walking by with a key out. A friend of mine put in a video system to catch someone stealing his car stereo (which happened twice before). After a month of waiting he actually did get good video, as the guy had to get inside the car to steal it. Now he has a great video of someone ripping his car to shreds. Since he doesn't know who the perp is, he's got nothing except the bill for the camera system AND another window and stereo. The Police have a copy, but can't do anything either unless they catch the guy.

I think a really loud alarm with a high-frequency vibration and microwave detector with a "warm off" system would be more effective. If there are security guards and cameras, the perp will think twice about doing anything to your car once the alarm has announced his/her presence.

It works by setting up a RF field around your car and has an adjustable range to detect when someone approaches it. (Doppler Detection)

The detector usually has 2 stages, the first one can be used to just make some brief warning noises, and the second zone is tripped, it does a full sound for a short duration, say 30 seconds.

A combination of methods should be used, try to park the car where nobody will normally be walking near it so you can set the detection range nice and wide. This will reduce the chance of nuisance tripping and allow you to provide the most aggressive early warning for an actual attack.

When you aren't at work you can disable the system, or at least reduce the sensitivity so your neighbors don't kill you!

My brother lives in Dallas, whom I'm actually visiting for x-mas right now. While where I live now, (in the SF bay area) has more overall crime, it seems there are much more vengeful and hateful crimes in the DFW area for some reason. Back in the bay area, people just want money or your stuff, it's not usually "personal". I've been lucky to not have a break-in since I've lived there. (over 8 years now) The trick is to keep your car completely empty inside and only have stock equipment visible. If you have an aftermarket anything, you are going to lose it (and a window) eventually! I even hide my plug-in cord when I park outside!

14. Barefoot

Barefoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So, the same low-lifes who trash your car are putting together JSFs?

Catch 'em and fire 'em.

15. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :mad:
    Definitely discuss this with management and security guards. Perhaps a written record to them describing the keying history and your concerns. They may be willing to relocate your parking space to a better lit or guarded one.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A few years ago a serial keyer of Hummers was caught in the act by onboard video, and broadcast nationwide before being identified.

17. Blue Prius Texan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is the F-136 being built out in California?

18. Blue Prius Texan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have to write people up when they are late to work a lot, or miss work a lot. Also, we have strict rules while working on the aircraft, which some people tend to disregard at times, so I have to write them up for that. It's because I hold people accountable for their actions, or lack thereof.

19. Blue Prius Texan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks, you have a lot of good points. I saw one of those trucks with that sign on the back of it Friday and was thinking, THEY say they are not responsible, but what would a judge say? How funny that you mentioned that!

I had a person press charges against me for hostile work environment because my boss wouldn't move her to another team (she wanted off my team because I had written her up or attendance issues). HR said that hostile work environment is sexual in nature, andf obviously I was doing nothing sexual to her. The result was that the charges were unfounded and dismissed.

I did think about the fake camera and still might do that, but my concern would be that they don't take the time to look inside the vehicle, just walk past it with a key sticking out.

I found some dash cams online for anout $90 and up. I may do that.

Thanks for your help!

20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm....

Since I don't think you can easily change the job you do.
    The Person you are..
    Or The people you work with...

Your best chance for avoidance would be to talk to security and get a more secure visible parking space.

Keying someones car is a cowardly crime. So my guess is if you could get one of those "reserved" spaces that was in a monitored or very publicly visible area the behavior would probably not be repeated.