1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worried! Please help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Yeetle, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Yeetle

Yeetle New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My 2009 Toyota Prius touring seems to be having acceleration issues, but as I paid attention to when these issues occur I've noticed that the issue occurs when the vehicle is in hybrid mode and when it's using battery only. Maybe it lies in the transition between hybrid and gas mode, not sure. But when I am accelerating, sometimes the vehicle feels like it stops accelerating and has a pull to the acceleration which is similar to the feeling of breaking. I recently had my brake actuator replaced as well as new brake pads and I took it to the dealer and they saw nothing wrong with the brakes. But these issues occurred before I did all of that brake actuator and brake work on the car and they are still occurring after those fixes. I'm not sure what the issue is but like I said I've noticed that it happens when I'm accelerating even when I'm in cruise control, I'd say it happens about 10% of the time and it's a little worrisome. Does anybody have any clues as to what it is? I'm trying to repair this issue before an engine check light comes on because as of writing this post I have no bad lights on whatsoever. I have been going easy on this car and I'm still getting 50 mpg so that's good. Please help! I am already financially struggling so I'm trying to get ahead of these repairs before the problem worsens.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does your traction control light flicker on the dash when you notice the acceleration issue?

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This can be one of the early warning signs of a failing HV hybrid battery.
    Not what you wanted to hear, I know.
    If there are other driving modes available, try them.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

5. Yeetle

Yeetle New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    178,000 miles

6. Yeetle

Yeetle New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    No it doesn't flicker, no lights flicker at all not even the check engine. And I pay attention to the energy consumption on my MultiMedia display and it shows that it happens when I'm in battery only mode trying to switch to hybrid mode

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Is it YOU that is trying to switch modes......or is the car trying to do that on it's own ?

Either way, at 11 years old and nearing 200,000 miles the HV battery is the logical suspect.

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's odd? Seems you'd be getting less than 50mpg with this problem? Maybe get an OBD2 reader and use hyrbid assisstant app along with companion hybrid reporter app and get all the charts and graphs so we can see what the problem is? Here's a good buyer's guide for an OBD2 reader: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

How subtle or strong is this power lag?

9. Yeetle

Yeetle New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Update: so I purchased an OBD reader on Amazon specifically for Toyota and Lexus and that will get here Sunday, furthermore yesterday I was driving towards a friend's house and luckily / unluckily within the first mile my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and now I actually have some lights to work with until I get the OBD reader and download techstream on my laptop Sunday.

The lights on my dashboard are as follows from left to right: Red Triangle, (!), VSC, Engine Check.

Upon further investigation before these lights came on, I found that when I was cruising in battery only mode that is where the problem lies, I noticed it when I was on the highway in stop and go traffic that my vehicle would have spurts of energy in battery only mode and after about 5 seconds of struggling it would force switch to hybrid mode and within that switch is where that violent shrug I've been feeling happens with the engine. I'm not sure if this is a bad battery cell problem or something wrong with the inverter, any clues as to what the cause may be?
    this morning I'm going to take the vehicle to AutoZone to get it scanned luckily it's literally right around the corner from me that way I have something to work with if I need to order some parts or tools.

My confidence in DIY has been increasing ever since I swapped out my own brake actuator so whatever this problem is I will probably try to solve it myself, I'm already $3,000 in the hole with this car. And my secondary vehicle which is a 2008 Prius has issues of its own and is at a way higher mileage at 270, 000 miles when this 2009 is only at 179,000

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's just broken in

11. Yeetle

Yeetle New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    UPDATE

Okay so I downloaded
    techStream and got a mini VCI and this is the code that popped up.

Attached Files:

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh boy. there are several routes you can take. as an accomplished diy'er, you can learn how to rebuild it yourself.
    it won't be perfect, but you will get very good at taking the battery out, replacing and balancing cells, and reinstalling it again.
    can't say how often, but some of that depends on how careful you are.

for a worry free future, if you have $1.600. - $2,200. or so, you can install a new pack for another trouble free 10/100

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's the primary code, you need the subcode to know if it it can be fixed with 5 minutes of cleaning or something more expensive.

All that code means is the battery ECU detected something wrong. Now it's time to ask the battery ECU for more specific details.

Or in some cases wait a while till problem returns, or maybe your 12v battery is bad?

14. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Click on the little snowflake symbol next to the code and see what information it gives you. By the way, what is the HV battery "gauge" showing during driving? Does it go from 6-7 bars to 1 fairly quickly, or slowly?

Also, as stated, make sure the 12V battery is in good condition. Have it charged and load tested as needed as a weak 12V will cause akl kinds of havoc on a Prius.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another reason I love the community at Prius Chat... Lol...

16. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    True, but the average person who might be using techstream for the first time doesn't really know much about freeze frame data, or how to access it.

I'll assume that some software engineer at Toyota had a sense of humor because the icon for freeze frame sure looks like a snowflake to me.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

PriusCamper likes this.
  17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To me too. I had the same thought about having a sense of humor choosing a snowflake as the icon for freeze frame. :)(y):LOL::ROFLMAO:

18. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s actually what it’s called: in the online help for the Techstream software, the “Freeze Frame Data Display” topic says, “On the Diagnostic Code List, select the DTC data with the ‘Snow Flake’ icon.” (The Japanese version of the help says スノーアイコン, sunōaikon.) “Freeze frame data” is a term from the SAE J2190 standard.

ColoradoCrow, dolj and PriusCamper like this.
  19. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I checked my Autel Maxisys scanner at work today and they used a snowflake as well. :p
    Snapon, however, just says "FREEZE FRAME". How boring. And oppressively anti-snowflake.:mad:

20. Yeetle

Yeetle New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Sorry for late reply you guys, so so far since I have taken possession of this vehicle I have swapped out the catalytic converter for a brand new one, I installed a brand new 12 volt Toyota battery OEM, put in a old 2008 Prius brake actuator, fixed the odometer computer display myself, and have swapped out the entire battery pack from my old 2008 Prius which I just used for parts and swapped it out for the failing pack in my 2009 touring. Swapping out the battery pack ended up solving the problem but it's only a Band-Aid fix, yes thank you so much you guys for telling me about the snowflake icon I did not know to click that, I have the failed battery pack in my living room, I might just order a bunch of high-quality modules and slowly swap them out so in my hybrid battery goes out again I can be prepared. Same with the break actuator, I have another one on standby in case the replaced one fails. Swapping out the entire battery pack also solved my acceleration issues with switching between battery and hybrid mode that I was experiencing with the previous battery pack. Surprisingly enough the failing battery pack was giving me more miles per gallon which is odd but I'm just glad to not have those issues anymore and I feel that this car is now finally driving properly.

edthefox5 likes this.