1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worse MPG after oil change... why?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Preeeus, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We've repeatedly noticed about 10-15% lower MPG for the 1000 miles right after an oil change.

No change in oil brand or viscosity.

Any idea why?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably run the battery down while they're at it

3. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That would never account for 1,000 miles of difference. The battery will charge on one drive.

Preeeus likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    depends on the drive

5. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    10% higher fuel burn for 1000 miles. Assuming the car was getting 50 mpg, now it's getting 45 or so. So, instead of 20 gals burned for the 1000 miles, it's 22.2 gals. I doubt it takes 2.2 gals of fuel to charge the battery from whatever amount of slight discharge it might have suffered.

Perhaps somebody is swiping a little fuel while the car is in for the oil change.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Preeeus you've been having high oil consumption (just looking at your previous postings). Is it a dealership doing the oil changes, and maybe they're cognizant of this, sending you on your way significantly overfilled? Do you check the level when it's settled down, a day or two after the oil change?

7. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Excess oil reduces fuel economy? How can that happen?

8. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It would have to be a huge over-fill so the crankshaft weights hit the oil in the pan. That would create drag.

Pluggo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Merkey

Merkey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe they adjusted the tire pressure down.

10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Once oil change is complete, but before closing the bottom panel opening, instructions say to put the vehicle in “maintenance mode” which I assume runs the engine so you can check for leaks. I’m guessing this hurts average MPG as well, if techs actually do the step. I don’t so I’m assuming they might not as well.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Mendel and everyone :)

Correct, our Prius is having high oil consumption. The last oil change was done at the dealership just before a new oil consumption test. They changed the oil, then drove our Prius out to the front of the service area, where they let us see the dipstick and photograph it. It was right at the full mark. At that point, they put the tamper-prevention stickers on the dipstick.

We then started our Prius and reset the trip odometer (which also measures the MPG). Over the last 1000 miles, the Prius has gotten 40.7 MPG whereas it typically gets 45.4 MPG. Driving conditions are identical, as is ratio of city/highway driving.

bisco likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah so you're doing another oil consumption test as well? Here's hoping you pass, I mean fail, I mean, oh you know what I mean, lol. Have any steep hill-climb routes in the vicinity? :whistle:

Preeeus likes this.
  13. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    LOL. We know exactly what you mean. Kinda want it to pass, kinda want it to fail. No hills around here. The biggest difficulty is going to be keeping it under 1300 miles before we bring her in on Monday.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Hi! Max here from MaxJen International.
    I just want to double check with you about the oil level. They drove it up to you at the front of the shop, pulled the stick to show you the oil level within how much time?
    If its showing a full mark level within 5 min you stop the car, I'm betting they over filled it by at least 500ml or more. Everyone knows oil level checks are done on even surface and at least 15 min after you stop the engine.

Another issue is, once cars go in for service you can kiss your millage for this current tank goodbye. Dont bother reading it off that tank no more because they would have depleted your battery, burned lots of fuel to do the maintenance mode to heat and drain the oil, and run it again to check oil level, plus swing by to the fish and chips with the customers car.

So do a new tank and see, plus dont let them overfill your oil again. Oil overfill causes oil leaks by blowing gaskets and burnt rings will burn oil.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He's got a lot riding on this oil change. They've done an oil change, checked that the level is on the full mark (hopefully accurately), and applied tamper-proof seals to all the places oil could be nefariously extracted from the engine.

When he goes in Monday, just shy of 1300 miles later, they'll break the dipstick seal and recheck. If it take more than a quart to return the level to the top mark, he "wins". The prize being a complete engine overhaul, involving new pistons and rings, head gasket and so on.

More info in the attached; 168 is the test, and 169 the overhaul instruction.

Attached Files:

RMB, Max Taiwan and jb in NE like this.
  16. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Wow that is crazy!
    Top end rebuild.
    Are you getting oil gunk out the exhaust? If you do I think you going to win!

17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think I'd be finding a way to have that car back at the dealer with 1295 miles added on.
    From my house to Atlanta is almost exactly 200 miles. Sounds like I'd do 3 high speed round trips and park it. Then roll around locally and take it to the dealer with 1295 on the clock.

18. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could I add that on traditional ICE cars, an oil overfill sufficient to have contact of crankshaft pieces with the oil surface would typically cause oil foaming and crankcase over pressure that would in turn blow oil through seals such as crankshaft end seals , possibly damaging them. I assume this would also happen in Prii. So, something to be avoided.