1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worst Commuting Area

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Catskillguy, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(johnval1 @ Jun 29 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]278608[/snapback]</div>

I lived in the NY Metro area for many years, have been to many areas on the east coast. I have heard about the worlds biggest parking lot called Los Angeles...

BUT, for what I have seen, I have to agree about DC. That place is horrific!

What is your 2 cents on this???

{posted as a new topic so as not to hijack the GM EV one}

2. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Northern NJ/NY Metro area is horrific, even more so than DC/Baltimore area.

There is never an "off" time to drive in Northern NJ. I used to live about 2 miles from a large mall and one time I was driving home from work and it too well over 2 hours to go 5 miles. I attibuted it to the large amount of mall traffic.

I lived in San Diego for a brief time and I still think the East Coast is worse.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Jun 29 2006, 03:23 PM) [snapback]278800[/snapback]</div>
    How 'bout the Bay area. I have relatives there. Driving there seems to suck fearsomely... Even at midnight.

4. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Come to the New Jersey -- then tell me about bad traffic.

I don't doubt it's bad in Southern California, but NJ is such a small state and so many cars...

5. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Jun 29 2006, 05:20 PM) [snapback]278796[/snapback]</div>

Having lived in DC I must agree it is very exciting to drive the beltway. :eek: As for downtown DC, if you don’t drive like the cabbies, you just won’t get where you’re going. I learned very fast that if I passed where I wanted to go that the only way that I could get back there in less than an hour was to just whip your car into a u turn in front of everyone. That actually works very well because everyone does it and expect it, so no problem. What did surprise me was that I found that IMO the DC area drivers were some of the most courteous drivers that I have encountered. <_<

Wait, wait, I know. The thing is, when you are trying to merge into traffic they let you in. That’s because when everyone is bumper to bumper, that’s the only way you could get in. This is at 2 MPH or 75 MPH because there still bumper to bumper at all speeds. Now, you cannot be a timid driver, you need to get in and not hesitate or they will sense your weakness and you’re finished.

As for NJ, I didn’t know that we still recognized it as part of America?
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jun 29 2006, 02:28 PM) [snapback]278802[/snapback]</div>
    That's not even close anymore. Ever since the Internet bubble burst, the freeways and roadways have not been that much clearer. And now with the exporting of Engineering jobs to India, the roadways are getting even better still.

Man... the late 90s were a nightmare with traffic. One time, it took me 2 hours to get home from work. And I only live 7 miles away. But it usually took me around 45 minutes. Now, I get there in less than 15 minutes. :lol:

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How about commuting through Orange County through Los Angeles to Ventura county and back? Upside, I don't spend any time on the worst freeway in USA, I-10.

8. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Smaller cities- Greensboro, NC ranks right up there.

9. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Jun 29 2006, 04:20 PM) [snapback]278796[/snapback]</div>
    How about comparing the local statistics for road deaths & injuries? Although come to think of it I don't suppose there are many injuries in places where traffic hardly moves at more than 2MPH. Unless, of course there are suicides in the traffic.

10. meezercat

meezercat New Member

The Chicago area, where I live now, is really bad.

Other cities where I've driven in really bad rush hours: Atlanta, LA (insane!), Seattle.

11. FloridaShark

FloridaShark Member

Orlando is one one the worst. It was ranked 5th worst in last survey. Between the whacked out locals and the lost tourists travel on the highways is a nightmare. one accident can shut down I-4 for miles, backups of up to 20 miles are common weekly events.
    Now that our asshol* Governor ...the other Bush vetoed a tax on rentals
    for Orange county it's only going to get worse on local streets. I've rented cars all over the country and have paid huge taxes and user fees. Governor Pumpkin-head said it was taxation without representation.
    This jerk took this state to the gutter much like his bro did to the country.

12. lisi

lisi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meezercat @ Jul 8 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]282968[/snapback]</div>
    I'll agree with Chicago & raise you one suburb, Evanston, just to the North of Chicago by the lake. I nominate this suburb to be "Worst Commuting Area in the US." Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful city but driving there is, well, a challenge. Make that, "quite a challenge."

Evanston is in the midst of a multi-year citywide sewer project so many side roads, even major ones, are not passable so there are quite a few side-street detours. As for the major arteries, if you can find one without a detour, they are usually in much poorer repair than those in neighboring cities - odd since Evanston is no slouch when it comes to giving parking tickets if you're a nano-second over your meter allotment. To make matters worse, I think the stop signs in Evanstons were sychronized by a dsylexic sadist - no matter what speed you are going at, it's impossible to get more than 2 green lights in a row.

But, hey, let's talk about the side streets. Can you say "stop sign" on every corner? Speed humps on more & more residential streets? Rotaries as well as 4-way stop signs in some areas?

The only saving grace is that Evanston, like most of Illinois, is flat. Easier on the gas miliage in that respect & much easier to see the next upcoming detour/rotary/stop sign/speed hump/etc. <_<

13. meezercat

meezercat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lisi @ Jul 8 2006, 10:26 AM) [snapback]282981[/snapback]</div>
    I just meant the whole Chicagoland area. I'm in the far north suburbs and work in the northwest suburbs. I haven't driven often in Evanston (when I lived there I didn't have a car at all) but from the times I have driven there I agree with you.