1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WORST full tank gas mileage you ever got?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Coast Cruiser, Aug 2, 2016.

?
  1. 20 to 30 mpg?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 30 to 40 mpg?

25.8%
  3. 40 to 50 mpg?

25.8%
  4. 50 to 60 mpg?

48.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thought it would be interesting to hear about your worst gas mileage. Full tank report only, please. Full to near empty. (I know some people refuel at the 1 bar left mark. That's ok.) All Prius generations welcome to reply.If you wish, you can indicate your preferred Drive Mode. Or, tell us if you switch among the 3. I'll start the voting. My worst full tank calculation was 59 mpg. That was 90% city / 10% freeway. Driving in "Normal" mode; slightly over the speed limit.

Doesn't matter what kind of driving conditions, or whether it was all city driving, all expressway, or a combo of both; Or in extreme hear or cold, or if you were towing a trailer, or climbing Mt Everest... Let's hear your worst-case scenario MPG experience from a full tank. Thanks!

2. bowerda47

bowerda47 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    2009 Prius 2, 47 MPG (Michigan Winter) - 2012 Prius 3, 48 MPG (Michigan Winter) - 2016 Prius 3 Touring, 52 MPG (1 ST fill up after Returning home from picking up car from dealer). And MPG has been steadily climbing since. Last fill up 57.25 MPG. I live on a major rural highway, so when I pull out I am immediately going 55 MPH.
    This is my 2016 Prius 3 Touring. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    0405161428-00.jpg

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  3. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any Prius owners that tow a small tent trailer? Have a bike rack on the back? Haul a kayak on the roof? Or routinely drive in mountainous regions? It would be nice to hear from the long-term Prius veterans. Thanks very much bowerda.

We all know the Prius is capable of very good gas mileage, and sometimes great MPG. Worst-case numbers may be valuable to newer Prius owners, and prospective first-time buyers. I would like to know both sides of the coin, so to speak.

4. Autoist

Autoist Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    46.59 mpg calculated on an 800+ mile I5 trip from WA to CA. Cruise set most of the trip and had the Shasta mountain to get over. We drove it in a day so couldn't take it easy. Just proof that the car does better in slow traffic than steady freeway speeds.

5. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Autoist. In my mind, 46 mpg is great gas mileage. Especially when driven at highway speeds, over that long distance, and going up a mountain. :)

6. Autoist

Autoist Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mind you I had to refuel about half way... but it still is really good. I guess I'm getting spoiled to mid to high 60mpgs for my commute driving pattern.

7. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The point of this poll being, is that our worst gas mileage is still probably better than 95% of other vehicles on the road. I haven't taken any long road trips yet, but I would be perfectly fine with "only" getting a measly 40 to 50 mpg. Anything above that, is just more frosting on the cake. :LOL:

8. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lowest Calculated: 56.7
    Lowest Displayed: 60.1

upload_2016-8-3_6-22-54.png

Dino33ca, Darkneece and Coast Cruiser like this.
  9. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My worst is 57.3 mpg on a refill of 588 miles.

2/3 of my typical driving is highway and I always use the A/C because the heat and humidity is awful here. I usually don't drive over 73 mph on the highway.

10. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's pretty amazing, guys. That's our worst mileage? :LOL: When it comes to MPG, I don't think Prius drivers should have much to complain about, should we? (Especially the Gen4 owners.) Our cars are a marvel of science!

I need an edit button. I think my worst city mileage was actually 56 calculated; 59 displayed. But a real test will be a long road trip at highway speeds... burn thru a whole tank at 70-75 mph. (But that's SLOW in California!) I'm also interested in hearing from people in the mountain regions. Not just for the MPG report, but to hear how the Prius performs in general.

11. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually get 52 MPG with my 90%ish freeway commute Mon-Fri (not impressive compared to other people on PriusChat, but I'm still totally impressed, especially for driving on 100% power mode). My worst fill up was at 48 MPG. That was after I had my first fill up. I tested how well the car held 100 mph on the freeway. It holds 100 mph just fine.

My 2005's worst fill up is probably when I got 32 MPG after 11 years of ownership. I usually get 41 MPG in that car. The new Prius' MPG doesn't blow you away until you fill it up for yourself or compare it to your other cars. I'll get about 600 miles on the gen 4, 325 miles on the gen 2, and 300 miles on a 2002 Honda Odyssey (going to be replaced by Model 3) which gets 17 MPG (worst is 12 MPG:ROFLMAO:).

12. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm sitting at 56 MPG on my new 2016 Prius 2. This is its first tank of gas from the dealer. I've heard that the MPG improves as the car gets "broken in"......hoping so, because I want to join the 60+ MPG club or better as I go :)

'LectroFuel and Coast Cruiser like this.
  13. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I carry surfboards on my 2005. I had two surfboards on the top and one inside. The MPG is usually 35 when I have them on. Even leaving surf racks on the car shaves the MPG by 2-3.

14. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lectro, now I know who was in that dark colored Gen4 that blew by me on the 5 Freeway! You sucked my left side doors off!!! :ROFLMAO: :cautious: :eek: :LOL:

'LectroFuel likes this.
  15. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats on the new Prius! See 'LectroFuel's post above yours on how to "break-in"' your new Two. ;)

'LectroFuel likes this.
  16. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Have not seen anything below mid 50s since my Gen 2 and Gen 3

17. dangrass

dangrass Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm. I've climbed Mt. Shasta several times, but I don't recall seeing any cars up there! Did you actually drive up to Sand Flat or did you mean going over Siskiyou Summit on I5? What speed were you running at?

18. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It was a cold and stormy winter's night. I was driving my 2010 V. I started out on my 45 mile commute with about 44 MPG with about half a tank of gas. There were about 3 - 4 inches of snow on the highway and it was still falling in near blizzard conditions; traffic was light and there were no snow plows in sight. My commute was uneventful but costly for fuel consumption. When I finally arrived home, MPG for the tank was about 35 and I only had one bar remaining.

All that uphill driving (onto the snow) really wrecked havoc with mileage.

Coast Cruiser and krmcg like this.
  19. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In my 2008 Touring Prius, loaded down with 3 adults and luggage and coolers and packages - travelling up to the highlands of Nevada City. I got the only sub-40 MPG tanks ever in either of my two Prius'. I had just purchased the car and was still learning how to maximize the mileage. Look at those gas prices!

upload_2016-8-4_7-58-57.png

20. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You say multiple votes are allowed - but I can't determine how.