1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worst Gas Mileage - I think I've got the record!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by douglasjoseph, Mar 22, 2005.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"75138)</div>
    Unless the poorly-done weld that holds the seat to the stationary bicycle frame finally cracks, you fall off the stationary bicycle and break your arm.

Don't laugh, I saw it happen at a Gold's Gym around 10 years ago.

2. martinpecial

martinpecial New Member

I've seen posts saying that the first tank of gas usually doesn't produce great mileage. I bought my Prius 10 days ago and averaged 40 miles per gallon. Is this considered average. I'm in Ohio, where it's been fairly cold lately. Why is it that mileage isn't usually as high early on as it is later?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The parts are new and hence as the parts move, the 'rough' edges are smoothed out.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

This is where an EV mod would shine. Can EV at least one way in the commute, and charge the battery back home, going downhill.

Oh, wait, your downhill is going TO work, so reverse it. Charge going to work, EV going home.

5. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Everyone!

First of all... Thanks for participating. This car is so amazing, there really isn't anyone else to ask these questions to. And without you and this group, many of us would be way out of touch.

I just completed a nearly 600 mile trip with my wife, daughter and all of our stuff, from San Diego, Ca to Lake Havasu, AZ. The weather was rainy the fist day but it was beautiful over the next three. Averaging 78 degrees.

since it was my fist "long trip" in our new car, I wanted to get all the information documented. Unfortunately, my wife filled the tank, and didn't capture all of the information I would have. So my numbers are not perfect. But here they are:

548 Miles Round-Trip
    Speed between 55 and 100 but averaging 75 or so.
    14 Gallons of 87 Oct.
    Avg. MPG 42.3

OK. I am a lead foot. But I have to say... When I was just passed by a GMC 1500 zs71. I had to push it up and pass him back. Hey it was the desert, no one around for miles and a clear blue sky. Another time I was following an Explorer as he passed a Motor Home. I actually accelerated much faster than he did. I have no idea of weather or not he floored it But I was pretty surprised.

Despite the disappointing highway mileage, and the fact that I can't seem to get much more than 50.2 MPG in average daily driving. I still love "my little spaceship".

6. senectus

senectus New Member

no you could also move house... :mrgreen: :p
    yeah short trips are very bad.. even in the 4 deg c heat we get over here...