1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worst navigation I’ve used!

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by My first EV, Nov 30, 2018.

1. My first EV

My first EV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Mine is a 2018 Plug-in Prius Prime, base model with the smaller screen. I’ve used Apple Map, Google map, Garmin and Tom Tom navigation before, all have their pros and cons. This nav sysytem in my new car (a month new) is the stupidest! When I lost my turn, or willingly not follow the route guidance, it will tell me to “ make a U turn”! While other system always direct you to turn right on the next road, turn right again and right back to same direction is intended to!

Even you ignore the U turn, the voice keep prompting you to make a “legal U turn”, and while the road has a clearly traffic-lighted left turn lane, it still prompt you to U turn, while a Left turn is all you need!

bisco likes this.
  2. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not clear what the problem is with doing a U-turn...?

iPad ? Pro

3. My first EV

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    It prompt me to do a “legal” U turn on a main 3-lane road! I don’t see the legal and necessary way to do it! Even your daughter missed her turn, you don’t tell her to do that!

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's Toyota's way of Entertaining you. lol ;) All joking aside, making U-turn is sometime quicker than "re-calculating" alternative route. But I hear you, the NAV is not very smart. I still use Garmin on my dash for my navigation needs.

#4 Salamander_King, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hmmm... I interpret their use of “legal” to mean, “make a U-turn when and where it is legal [and safe] to do so.” That, as opposed to something like “immediately at all costs”! In short, “lawyers will be lawyers...”

iPad ? Pro

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it applies to all parts of Canada but it's illegal to make a U-turn at a traffic-light intersection unless there's a sign that tells you that you can.

7. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So, I gather the concern over U-turns is that they are too-frequently illegal to be a meaningful action for a NAV to suggest?

That’s not the case here in Texas, so it would never even occurred to me, or apparently to them, that that would be an issue.

iPad ? Pro

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is any navigation system perfect?
    Usually there is some legal caveat putting the responsibility for your driving decisions entirely on you, despite what your navigation system might say.
    Therefore I think "Make a Legal U-Turn" is just insulation from liability, they can't really just say...make a U-Turn.

Of all the navigation systems you have used, which one do you like the best?

They do vary, too bad you seemed un-satisfied with your built in navigation system. You wouldn't be the first.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the problem is not the u turn warning, it's the fact that the unit is not recalculating a new route. i wonder if a setting needs to be changed, even my '04 did that.

i hear you o/p, and so do a lot of other toyota drivers. !@#$%^&*:mad:

10. My first EV

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    So far I like Google map the best! My previous car—-Mazda with built-in navigation also works well!

Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  11. 2015BlizzardPriusFour

2015BlizzardPriusFour Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I’ve had some pretty bad navigation systems in the past (one tried to get me to turn right into a canal in the middle of the night) but I don’t find the primes unit to be that horrible. I prefer to use Waze, but the stock nav has gotten me where I needed to go close to my waze estimate.

iPad ?

12. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I personally find that Toyota’s NAV generally works just great! Not always of course, but almost always.

“So, what is this ‘legal U-turn’ concept you speak of?” Haha

I personally don’t see anything bad about taking a U-turn to “get back on track,” assuming that’s the most direct way to do so.

#12 mr88cet, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2018
  13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Car manufacturers don't supply good navigation systems. They never have and there's little point in starting now.

10 years ago, it would have been worth some indignant posts about "how can they charge so much and deliver so little??"

But it's 2018. Now the question is "Why are you still forking over money for the same poor results after being burnt so many times?"

We had our new car about 4 days before the stock system came out and a proper aftermarket went in. I wouldn't dream of doing it any other way.

14. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I really do not understand why would anyone with a smartphone (almost everyone) choose to use car's nav. Smartphone apps are by definition more up to date, have more competition (good for user), more portable (goes with you to another vehicle) and are free for the most part. Car's nav is usually stuck in the 20th century and is expensive, not responsive to changes in market (or maps in some cases) and is "glued" forever to your car. Why would anyone want to use car's nav if smartphone is available?

I personally use Waze (I like the warnings for police and other obstacles it provides) and/or Google maps.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I totally agree with. My PRIME Premium is the very first car I ever purchased that came with NAV. I usually buy trim that has no NAV. Paying a couple grands more for something that I rarely use and usually do not work is absolutely waste of money. But for PRIME there was no choice for that.

Does smartphone Nav require cellular data connection while in use in cars? I don't have cellular data connection on my phone. I have used Google Map, but not for navigation. I think, I will stick with Garmin.

16. ziggy29

ziggy29 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We recently moved from Texas to Oregon, and were in California before that. One of the reeducation endeavors I've had to make is that in CA and TX, U turns are generally allowed unless a prohibition is posted. In Oregon, they are forbidden unless specifically signed to allow it. So "legal U-turn" actually means something here.

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I look at it the other way. This is why the prime (among many other cars) is simply dead to my dollars.

This is a gray area. Some navigation apps allow the user to download map data to the phone's internal memory and have the road routing logic running locally as well. In these cases, you don't need any cellular data signal for proper navigation.

Other apps are entirely dependent on accessing a remote map library and using a remote API for the routing logic.

Salamander_King likes this.
  18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, there are a lot of wasted dollars in my Prime beside 11.6 LCD and entire infotainment system, like wasted rear seats that have not had a single person sit on in the last 16 months. Side by side comparison, my PRIME Premium has more wasted things but way better car than my previous Gen3 Prius Two, and cheaper.

Garmin does that fine with free life time map update.

19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Both Garmin & TomTom offer phone apps that essentially duplicate the performance of their respective portable navigation devices, but running on your own hardware. AFAIK both of them fall into the category of "works without cellular" once you've installed some map files on your phone.

Salamander_King likes this.
  20. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The car comes standard with nav (won't say free because it's built into the cost of the car), but since it's no longer a profit center and is basically a give-away with no possibility of making back any investment in it, there is little to no reason to spend lots of funds to make it better. Basically it's a check-box item when people are considering the car. Few enough people will not buy the car because it's navigation isn't "as good" as another brands, certainly not so many (especially on a low volume car like the prime) that it makes economic sense to do anything about it.

The prime will eventually get entune 3.0 (don't know when, but it doesn't make sense for Toyota to support two systems so they'll roll that out across the board to all vehicles (with more or less features)), then you'll have phone projection and auto-map updates which will hit other check-boxes.