1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worst Seats Ever

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeff Fairman, Mar 6, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's helped a lot to raise the driver's seat height up a little. I used to crank the driver's seat all the way down, but then the steering wheel is a little high and hard to reach, I scooted forward but then it felt awkward. Raising the seat height just 2 to 3 pumps up makes it easier to reach the steering wheel, then could scoot back a notch.

Same thing as above happened in new Honda Civic too. Seat up a little helps a bunch for comfort. Also, the Recaro guide recommends raising up for a good view.

My seat setup is this-

fore/aft slide : 1 notch from fully back
    seat height: 3 or 4 pumps upward from full down
    seatback: don't know how many notches from full forward, maybe 4
    steering wheel: pull full out towards me and tilted fully down

2. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Love my 2012 Four... Sof-tex seats are awesome in my opinion coming from a 2000 Ford F250 (but still mine:love: ) and the beater Hyundai that was traded in for the Prius.... hope the OP can find a comfortable solution to drive an excellent car...

3. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Same here. I've had my Four on many long trips (500+ miles) and felt perfectly fine getting out.

This will probably get me in big trouble, but I sometimes wonder about the BMI, or maybe even just the fitness level of some of the folks calling the seats "terrible." Before you warm up your keyboard for a flaming response to me I should point out that I am tall (6' 1") and over 50 (years old). I am a [very] fit 175 lbs, however.

I'm saying it should be necessary to run 6+ miles a day to feel comfortable in your car, but I suspect that since Toyota exports the Prius globally they may have designed the seats to fit the bell curve in international body sizing, and it may not be ideally suited to us (on average) larger North Americans.

OceanEyes likes this.
  4. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone bolted in a seat from another Toyota into their Gen2 Prius? My back has said enough torture. With some lower back problems, I am in pain most times I drive our car. I had a 2013 Corolla loaner while my car was getting serviced and the seats were a major improvement over our seats. It looks like I can get 2010-2011 Corolla seats in grey. Would they bolt right in?

5. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Ooops, noticed a stupid typo in my last paragraph, which should read: "I'm not saying it should be necessary to run 6+ miles a day to feel comfortable in your car..."

6. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Believe it or not the seats are OK for short everyday commutes. Take a long trip beyond a few hours best to dose up in the Advil.

7. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have no "short everyday commutes" - LOL.

My work commute is 100 miles daily, so right off I average about 3 hours per day in my Prius.

I have taken several of what I would call "medium distance" trips (>500 miles) and had zero issues.

I have a long-distance trip planned in a few months, where I expect to do about 1,200 miles non-stop there, and the same in a return trip a week later.

I've been in better seats, but "worst seats ever"? Not a chance. Try spending more than 30 min sitting in a Chevy Impala (2000 till present). The seats are so soft and unsupportive even I had lower back pain within 45 minutes - and I do NOT have back problems.

8. pillowsplat1

pillowsplat1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have had very good results with my 2007 200,000 gen 2 leather seats.
    Some peanut gallery suggestions.
    You could raise or lower the whole seat with spacers under the rails. Insert disclaimer
    Yoga / inverted back stretcher. Your back is probably inflamed at this point.