1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worth a rebuilt hybrid battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Louis Horvath, Aug 9, 2022.

1. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Call your local Canadian Toyota dealer, I called my local dealer, he said he can get a new battery assembly, told me there are 8 in stock at the Toyota distribution warehouse in Vancouver BC CANADA. Haha, only in Canada?

#21 alftoy, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    Louis Horvath likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've found that now that there's a scarcity of OEM packs the Toyota Stealerships once they have a pack in stock are jacking the price up massively to take advantage of someone desperate enough to pay.

One stealership I called in the Seattle area said they only have one pack left on their shelf and its $4K plus $2K installation charge and they won't sell it without the installation because DIY install is "not safe." And because I know for a fact that it only takes two hours to install a new OEM pack these criminals are charging a $1K an hour for labor. It's truly shameful behavior! But if you do the math on what a two hour daily commute costs without your beloved Prius, you'll gladly get ripped off by the stealership rather than the gas pump.

3. Louis Horvath

Louis Horvath Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh my that's not good. Will check with the vendor of the ODBII vendor.

4. Louis Horvath

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So an update. I finally got a replacement battery pack BUT ... the store didn't have the casing. So i bought 28 reconditioned modules, with the black metal bars on top. I was thinking this would save me quite some time. Not much.

Last night I took the old battery out.
    This morning was going to be the big day.
    - Took the old modules out of the case
    - Had to unscrew a whole bunch of bolts
    - Most bolts had grey-green acid powder on them. Tried to clean them (with a brush).
    - Put the refurbished modules into the case
    - While screwing the bolts back on, one of the bolts went in sideway (?) and stripped the screw. We're talking here 5 degrees max.
    - Tried the bolt on another battery by being stupid ... and mangled that screw too.
    - Threads on both battery look bad
    - Another module was already mangled so I'm out three bolts.

I was thinking perhaps I could fix this with some washers. If I'm lucky.

Or should I instead take some modules from my old battery and replace them?

Any suggestions?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    improperly secured modules can burn your car down, and anything around it.

i would get all necessary replacement parts, and make sure you torque everything properly.

prius battery is no joke, and requires special care and attention to proper safety proceedures

6. Louis Horvath

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm going to need 3-4 extra bolts to attach the battery module. Do you know where I can buy some?

7. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    bisco likes this.
  8. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

are you a manufacturing engineer? i learned this in school? :)

9. Yosarian

Yosarian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not a certified tech by any measure, just bought, sold and currently own a bunch of Gen 2's (now up to 6). Buddy who 1st got me into them works w/ me now fixing our combined fleet (he has 5 that he cares for) so what I have to share is anecdotal, but fairly broad based I suppose.

Bought an '05 really cheap the other day as a potential parts car; 180k miles, pretty good body & paint, interior in good shape but cruddy, one bar on the hybrid, and the 12v. was dead flat. Seller said the engine was blown by his idiot brother.
    Replaced the hybrid battery w/ one that I regenerated and rebuilt using the Hybrid Technologies set up along w/ Dr. Prius, Torque Pro and a nice Launch tablet scanner. Flushed the engine & fuel system, new fluids, PVC valve plugs, 12 volt battery & filters.

Turns out the lurching and jumping that the seller took as a failed engine internal was plugs w/ a burned gap and one bad coil, but I've started a few w/ extremely low hybrid batteries that have imitated the same behavior. When in doubt we always default to the hybrid & 12 volt batteries as suspect number one. Once those are vetted then I start to fret over fault codes.
    Between us we have a half dozen Gen 2's w/ over 250k miles now, but once in shape and provided good clean oil regularly, I'm completely comfortable jumping in any one of them and driving several states away.

What we don't have is road salt to deal with, so even though we're in the coastal mid-Atlantic, our winters here are nothing. Having previously lived in Pa., I learned that body rust isn't usually an expensive DIY, it's just a dirty, nasty, time consuming PITA. My 2 cents; fix the rust, give her a spray can paint job, fix the hybrid battery & carry on.
    I will say that I'm lovin' the new charging gear, but we used to do the rebuild DIY w/ an RC charger and while not ideal, it's a pretty affordable life extender.

Brian1954 and Louis Horvath like this.
  10. Louis Horvath

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you so much for the comment!
    I didn't update this page a lot lately; I've been up and down thinking "I can fix this!" and "It's hopeless". I'm a few weeks away from finding those mood swings funny :)
    The good news is I read a lot and I'm waiting for an RC charger tomorrow so I can properly identify which cell are worth keeping and which are not.
    What I can also tell you is that this issue has really brought up all the gremlins in my life; you wouldn't believe the mishaps and deceptions I've had, both around the car and real life (c)(r) since the dreaded red triangle. But you know what they say : what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Since I'm still alive it means I'm somehow stronger LOL
    Hopefully when all of this is done I'm hoping my car's hybrid battery will be too.

11. Louis Horvath

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    UPDATE : So I'm still working on my battery pack.
    Got my RC charger. Took a while to understand how it works - the menu system is anything but straightforward.
    Load tested all the battery modules with a Prius's headlight bulb. Boy that was long! Got time to get to 7,5v, 7,2v, 7v, 6,8v and 6,5v
    One module is bad and will drop to 6,6v no matter how much I charge it. As soon as I put a load on it it just drops off. I'm pretty sure this is the source of my red triangle.
    I have 7 other modules that will last less than 2 minutes from 6,8v to 6,5v. I'm going to swap them too.
    The rest goes from OK to really nice.

Now one question before I start putting everything back together.
    In the course of my previous attempt, I had to take my two battery packs apart. Forgot to check what polarity was on which side.
    On the ECU side, presently I have the positive where there is the single connector (see image). Battery module postive corner.jpg

I'm assuming that's right and I'm also assuming getting it wrong is NOT going to help.

If someone could please confirm that would be great.

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks good to me... But I can only see a very small part of the pack... In general, if you know which is positive and which is negative where they connect to the relays, the rest is easy to figure out. Hint, the cable that goes through the plastic donut shaped sensor is negative.

13. Louis Horvath

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks!
    Would hate to have the wrong polarity when the whole thing is running 100+ amps ... no smoke of doom please LOL

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Polarity isn't as big of a hassle as fact you have to correctly make over 100 physical connections for the pack to work again. The orange HV cable in your photo is notorious for slipping down under the foam cushion there and not getting re-connected. An easy one to overlook. Or at least the most common one I've overlooked.

15. Louis Horvath

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    GOOD NEWS! I finally got the old car to start! It's ALIVE!
    I have to tell you this project didn't go well at all. Today I wanted to put back the headlight (because with a missing headlight bulb - wouldn't you know it - the car doesn't go to Ready). I dropped the bulb inside the car while trying to fit it in (...).
    An hour and a half later I finally found it and the car started as soon as that bulb was installed and the circuit closed.

THERE IS ONLY ONE ISSUE LEFT
    Now when I drive the car, the charge meter for the hybrid battery will only go up three bars. The bars are in blue (two bars and it's purple)
    Everything else works. There's no codes.
    - I've only driven it for about 5 minutes so far
    - Two of the bolts on the modules aren't the original Toyota stock but generic store bought bolts
    - I did a boo-boo; when I cleaned the busbars I also put the original toyota bolts in the mix and it took off the zinc plating I think.
    - I'm going to put some gas in the car - I know there's at least two bars left but the car has a blinking bar.
    - I picked the best modules out of two sets. Pretty sure they're all good.

I will get a whole set of NEW bolts ASAP.
    Do you think the battery just needs to adapt and will get back to normal?
    Do you think the bolts are an issue? I've tested them and they seem to conduct just fine.

Thanks again.

bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you torque everything properly?

battery should charge up as you drive more

17. Louis Horvath

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the question.
    The brutal truth is I don't have a torque wrench. I work with very limited funds.
    Also the two replacement #5 nuts I've used are not nearly as good as the original nuts. In fact they're crap. I'm trying to get a car parts store to source me some.
    I'm assuming if I had proper replacement nuts that couldn't hurt.

18. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You have to drive it more than 5 minutes

19. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Normally I'd buy new but your car is nearing the end it's service life. Up to u

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Without proper torque, you risk explosion and fire.
    Something’s allow for shortcuts, but not the hybrid battery.
    It can be deadly