1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worth cleaning EGR assembly AFTER coolant loss?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by twhornback, Dec 5, 2022.

1. twhornback

twhornback New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    During my regular 5k oil change, the tech said that I was low on coolant and he topped it up. I thought that was strange since I just did a coolant flush not long ago.

Now I'm researching about possible causes and I've seen all the EGR recommendations here. My question is: is it still worth cleaning the EGR assembly or is it too late and the damage is done?

Some info- 193k miles on a gen3, the coolant loss was significant.

2. CloudJumper

CloudJumper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Have you ever seen the red engine temperature warning light come on? Even for just a moment? It's easy to miss. Given that the mechanic didn't mention the oil color, I assume it wasn't milky? Check out my thread "Sudden Coolant Loss ---I don't think it's the head gasket" (I'm a new user to I can't post links yet). That may be useful to you if you're experiencing any of the same symptoms as I was. Anyway, it's always worth cleaning the EGR if the engine still runs. If you don't want to do it yourself, I would not recommend taking it to a mechanic unless you'd be willing to trust them with your life (figuratively---my life was never at risk). I had a horrible experience with a mechanic screwing up my EGR, took months to resolve. It'd be beneficial to get into the habit of checking your fluids regularly.

#2 CloudJumper, Dec 6, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    twhornback likes this.
  3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you been experiencing frequent rough starts, or misfire during light acceleration? Those would be ominous clues, combined with the coolant disappearance. If head gasket failure is indeed the cause, cleaning out the EGR path obviously won't undo existing damage.

If you're lucky, possibly the apparent coolant loss is merely a failure to get all the air pockets out during the recent coolant flush. Is the loss continuing?

twhornback likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Coolant loss can happen for various reasons, one of which is a head gasket failure, and head gaskets can fail for various reasons, one of which may be EGR clogging, according to a popular but non-unanimous school of thought on PriusChat. But even in that school of thought, no one suggests that un-clogging the EGR will un-fail a gasket that has already failed. And any connection may be dubious to begin with.

So that all makes it seem pretty sensible to treat your two current questions individually: fixing whatever's leaking the coolant is worth doing, if there's a coolant leak, and fixing EGR clogging is worth doing, if there's EGR clogging.

If you find the coolant leak to be something that's a lot of work to fix, like a head gasket, and you're not sure if your EGR system is clogged or whether you're convinced there's a connection, there'd at least be a pretty good argument to check that and clean it along with the other work, as you'd be all up in there anyway. That way, if there is a connection, you're not setting yourself up for a repeat problem.

twhornback likes this.
  5. twhornback

twhornback New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just before being topped off it did come on one time when going up a steep hill, I pulled over immediately. At the time I assumed faulty water pump, I didn’t realize the low coolant.

I’m going to undertake the egr pipe and intake manifold this week, I’m hesitant to get to the cooler. Depending on the state of the pipe I’ll consider paying someone to clean/replace the cooler. May as well replace the water pump and thermostat while I’m there.

6. twhornback

twhornback New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There haven’t been any rough starts, misfires, or discolored oil. No noticeable loss since the top off. Let’s hope you’re right.

CloudJumper likes this.
  7. twhornback

twhornback New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That’s what I was thinking. Thanks for the input.