1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worth Cosmetic Fixes Before Selling?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pilar311, May 17, 2023.

1. Pilar311

Pilar311 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi all, I'm not too experienced with owning and selling cars, so I have a basic question. We want to sell our 2009 Prius. It's in decent driving condition and 166,000 miles, but it has a dented door and some big scratches on two doors. The dent is cosmetic but still pretty big. Is something like this worth fixing before selling? We're based in Los Angeles, if that makes any difference.

bisco likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Possibly . I think the car markets about to get really weirder. People paying $8,000 for 15-year-old prii is coming to something . but folks are pretty silly . Body work is costly paint n all that . Someone looking at a car that old is either very smart or very silly You have to determine which or what have you The smart person's not going to really worry about the door dent and or the two scratches He's laughing all the way to wherever with a decent price on the car and it driving decently You're 08 09 If it's not already had it it's going to be coming up on a break actuator pump accumulator situation soon wheel bearings need to be thought about hybrid battery somebody that's in the know should be thinking about. Coolant valves including the inverter pump and things like that. All add up very quickly when you're paying businesses to do this so every bit you can do yourself is savings out of one's pocket. But it's easy to get deep into these vehicles and you don't want to do that if you're trying to sell It's not like fixing up and flipping a house it's a little different can't really get a mortgage on a car thank God.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not worth it. your car is worth a fortune in LA. it will be snapped up in a day, don't leave money on the table

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I might spend $1000 if the rest of the car was nice especially if selling privately.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An entire car door, front or back, is $120 at LKQ.

Auto Parts Prices | LKQ Pick Your Part | LKQ Pick Your Part - Monrovia

Cheaper to replace the door than to have a professional fix it. I would add $100 to the original asking price and then when they complain about the dent offer to take $100 off. For a car that age fixing scratches, other than maybe putting some touch up paint in to stave off rust, is a waste of resources.

I would, however, clean the inside thoroughly and wash and wax it. It won't stay clean long, but if you price it right you can sell it in a day or two.

7. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is a matter of numbers. Look on facebook and craigslist, note prices, mileage and appearance. See where yours fits in. Then get an estimate for repairs, if the cost justifies the increase in price do it. My gut says get a $100 cleaning/detail on the car and sell. Regardless compile all your service records to address the typical stuff that goes bad by now. It may or may not help but gives you cred if asked. The used car market is a little crazy all over right now, do your research and hold firm on the price you think is fair. One more thing, get a generic bill of sale from the web and make sure it includes as is, no warranty. Make sure they sign it.