1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worth to Change HV Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by xILikeRice, May 1, 2022.

1. xILikeRice

xILikeRice New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2010 Prius has been driving great, but recently the MPG keeps going down, from 45 MPG to now 43 MPG. I want to replace the battery but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Greenbean gave me an estimate of $1864 with the lifetime warranty, but the car already has 154,000 miles on it. I would like to keep driving the car. Should I just go ahead and change it out? I originally bought the car for $5,400, but with these repairs, I'm looking at basically buying the car for $8,000 plus future repairs.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would save your money until there was something wrong with the battery. Do you have codes about what the car thinks is wrong?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Green bean only sells used refurbished batteries, I would not change out a working battery and replace it with a failed battery that’s been refurbished

4. xILikeRice

xILikeRice New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, there's no codes, but when I checked the expectancy a few months ago it said ~39%

Even when the battery doesn't provide optimal MPG anymore?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    43mpg is only a slight decrease. Is that worth $1800 for a used battery?

for that price, I C would buy a new one that will last another 10 years. That lifetime warranty is useless when the car starts breaking down every year

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how do you know the battery is the cause? many parts and systems affect mpg.

have you cleaned the egr circuit?

how many more years/miles would you like to keep her?

CR94 likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That MPG is normal and can be improved by simply adding way more tire pressure. Also all the basic maintenance things we do here on Priuschat will help too.

It sounds like you're willing to invest in an upgrade... If you want to do that the most measurable way is upgrading to a lithium pack. The last of them at the $2100 price are going to be available this coming week and then the price goes way up. It's relatively easy to install too. And if you buy with my affiliate link I'll provide you as much long term support for your Prius as you need: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    $2000 worth of NEW battery might get you 10% improved mileage IF that is really the problem. Driving style can give you that. No more 75 mph on I-10. No more sitting in a parking lot with the car on running the ac.

Even if you are driving smart and new cells give you 10% mpg, you may save just $400 over the next 50,000 miles at $4 a gallon. You might need the $2k for a brake booster or head gasket first.

9. xILikeRice

xILikeRice New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No… I’m not really car smart and I don’t have the necessary tools to do so. I think recently, even when I drive 35-40 MPH within the first line of ECO, the battery doesn’t kick in and keeps charging. I also have an updated Dr. Prius reading if it’s any help.

Attached Files:

#9 xILikeRice, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  10. chuckiechan

chuckiechan Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Try a can of Seafoam gas additive at your next fill up. Walmart has it, too. My gen 3 (Calif) has EGR issues that affect mileage and that boosts it up for awhile.